• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Herder Ranks Griz 3 in Chances of Winning Next National Title

CDAGRIZ said:
RayWill said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
This is why it doesn't work:

The problem is the ncaa limitation on number of games and period when games can be played, as
well as playoff schedule. But what Im proposing would be the same number of games and during the same time period?

Even if changed, other teams would either have season end a week earlier or a bye week the week before Thanksgiving. Or play one less game and lose revenue. they wouldnt because it would be the same amount of games we have now, and during the same weeks we play now. Nothing time and date wise would have to change.

Why would 2 playoff teams, ie top 2 in conference, want to play another game a week before Thanksgiving? To be conference champions, it would again be the same schedule we have now

Why would other conferences want to change season and-or playoff schedule for the Big Sky? they wouldnt, because again, the schedule and dates games are played would not change as what it currently is

What team would you add? Some people are complaining about some of the teams the conference has. I would also be open for subtracting, I agree that the BSC is too big, unbalanced schedule is shit

Would you then do just a 6-game conference schedule? Is that a good idea? To me, that's worse than what we have now. the solution to this would be you could either play teams from the other "division" or schedule whoever you want OOC, what does the Big Ten do?

Don't think it works to schedule games a week before the last weekend, as none the schools would prepared, charters not set up, and attendance would likely be awful. this is one issue I agree could be difficult. But many schools around the BSC have shit attendances anyhow. Im sure that final game, unless it was the championship game, would be similar to the 1st round playoff games attendance now.

"Than the team from the "north" and teams from the "south" with the best records, play each other in the "conference championship" for the 12th and final regular season game. Then the playoffs start. "

That is the part where the problem lies the way I understand it. None of the teams can play a 12th game the way the rules currently sit. So either every team in the conference could only play ten games and the two division champs get the 11th game, which no team will want to do as they lose potential revenue. The NCAA currently hs ait so that if you play the 12th game as a championship it counts as postseason play and leaves you ineligible for the playoffs.

You know what to do with rules? Throw them out.

3485793475834.jpg

I was always raised this way: "Rules are meant to be followed."

RayWill said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
How? we currently have 13 teams, say we add a 14th.

7 teams in the "north" division 7 teams in the "south" division.

All the teams in the north play each other...thats 6 games, you get 5 out of division games. Those could be with other big sky conference teams, or say MVFC teams whoever you choose. Thats 11 games.

Than the team from the "north" and teams from the "south" with the best records, play each other in the "conference championship" for the 12th and final regular season game. Then the playoffs start.

And for the teams that arent playing in the conference championship, their 12th game can go by final standings. so say 3v4...5v6...7v8...9v10...11v12...13v14

How does that not work?

The problem is the ncaa limitation on number of games and period when games can be played, as
well as playoff schedule. But what Im proposing would be the same number of games and during the same time period?

Even if changed, other teams would either have season end a week earlier or a bye week the week before Thanksgiving. Or play one less game and lose revenue. they wouldnt because it would be the same amount of games we have now, and during the same weeks we play now. Nothing time and date wise would have to change.

Why would 2 playoff teams, ie top 2 in conference, want to play another game a week before Thanksgiving? To be conference champions, it would again be the same schedule we have now

Why would other conferences want to change season and-or playoff schedule for the Big Sky? they wouldnt, because again, the schedule and dates games are played would not change as what it currently is

What team would you add? Some people are complaining about some of the teams the conference has. I would also be open for subtracting, I agree that the BSC is too big, unbalanced schedule is shit

Would you then do just a 6-game conference schedule? Is that a good idea? To me, that's worse than what we have now. the solution to this would be you could either play teams from the other "division" or schedule whoever you want OOC, what does the Big Ten do?

Don't think it works to schedule games a week before the last weekend, as none the schools would prepared, charters not set up, and attendance would likely be awful. this is one issue I agree could be difficult. But many schools around the BSC have shit attendances anyhow. Im sure that final game, unless it was the championship game, would be similar to the 1st round playoff games attendance now.

"Than the team from the "north" and teams from the "south" with the best records, play each other in the "conference championship" for the 12th and final regular season game. Then the playoffs start. "

That is the part where the problem lies the way I understand it. None of the teams can play a 12th game the way the rules currently sit. So either every team in the conference could only play ten games and the two division champs get the 11th game, which no team will want to do as they lose potential revenue. The NCAA currently hs ait so that if you play the 12th game as a championship it counts as postseason play and leaves you ineligible for the playoffs.

I dont understand tho, we played 12 games this year. Even if that is the case, OK so you drop one OOC game. and then to answer your question of teams not playing in the "championship" thats where you do the 3v4 5v6 and so on, to pick up that final game. Every team is playing that weekend, just one of the games is a conference chipper. Heres how it would work theoretically compared to the Griz 2019 schedule.

This years schedule we played 4 OOC games. South Dakota, NorthBama, Oregon and Monmouth. In the new format those teams could be say just for fun we choose two teams from the "Big Sky South" and two MVFC Teams. So they would be say Cal Poly, NAU, South Dakota and South Dakota State. Thats 4 games, thats your OOC Schedule. Those games are played through August 31st to Sept 21st (just like our first 4 this year).

So exactly like this years dates it would be.

8/31 @ South Dakota
9/7 South Dakota State
9/14 @ Cal Poly
9/21 NAU

Then your "division" games start. would be 6 game round robin.

In the "Big Sky North" our division is say Montana, MSU, Idaho, Idaho State, EWU, Weber, Portland State
That Schedule would look like this, exactly like our next 6 from this year.

9/28 @ Idaho
10/5 Idaho State
10/19 @ EWU
10/26 Weber
11/2 @PSU
11/9 MSU
11/16 Championship Game or your 12th seed v seed game.

That gives you 5 (potentially 6) Home Games not counting playoffs. This year we had 6 non playoff home games.

What doesnt work with that schedule laid out above? Its 11 non playoff games.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
RayWill said:

You know what to do with rules? Throw them out.

3485793475834.jpg

I was always raised this way: "Rules are meant to be followed."

:lol:

BadlandsGrizFan said:
RayWill said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I dont understand tho, we played 12 games this year. Even if that is the case, OK so you drop one OOC game. and then to answer your question of teams not playing in the "championship" thats where you do the 3v4 5v6 and so on, to pick up that final game. Every team is playing that weekend, just one of the games is a conference chipper. Heres how it would work theoretically compared to the Griz 2019 schedule.

This years schedule we played 4 OOC games. South Dakota, NorthBama, Oregon and Monmouth. In the new format those teams could be say just for fun we choose two teams from the "Big Sky South" and two MVFC Teams. So they would be say Cal Poly, NAU, South Dakota and South Dakota State. Thats 4 games, thats your OOC Schedule. Those games are played through August 31st to Sept 21st (just like our first 4 this year).

8/31 @ South Dakota
9/7 South Dakota State
9/14 @ Cal Poly
9/21 NAU

In the "Big Sky North" our division is say Montana, MSU, Idaho, Idaho State, EWU, Weber, Portland State

9/28 @ Idaho
10/5 Idaho State
10/19 @ EWU
10/26 Weber
11/2 @PSU
11/9 MSU

That gives you 5 (potentially 6) Home Games not counting playoffs. This year we had 6 non playoff home games.

The NCAA allows a 12 game schedule I believe once every 4 years or something. Normally it is only 11 games.

RayWill said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
RayWill said:

8/31 @ South Dakota
9/7 South Dakota State
9/14 @ Cal Poly
9/21 NAU

9/28 @ Idaho
10/5 Idaho State
10/19 @ EWU
10/26 Weber
11/2 @PSU
11/9 MSU

The NCAA allows a 12 game schedule I believe once every 4 years or something. Normally it is only 11 games.

and then in those years you throw in another OOC game. I dont see how this couldnt work.

The only thing that would be difficult is logistics for that Championship week game. Which schools do anyway in the playoffs already. Find out who youre playing a week ahead, book shit, and let the fun ensue. That final week before the playoffs would be so fun for multiple reasons.

Obviously the championship game, but also the 3v4 and 5v6 games would almost always have playoff implications.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
I dont understand tho

Pretty much sums it up.

tell me what doesnt work genius

Getting 13 schools to agree to an unknown final game of the season because of the logistics and cost of trying to arrange travel for 50+ members of a football team when you might not know your destination until the Saturday prior. If a conference isn't willing to let the team that wins the Conference host the basketball tournament because of this, they are not going to allow it for football.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
The only thing that would be difficult is logistics for that Championship week game. Which schools do anyway in the playoffs already.

Except the schools don't. The NCAA makes all the arrangements and expenses.

PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
How? we currently have 13 teams, say we add a 14th.

7 teams in the "north" division 7 teams in the "south" division.

All the teams in the north play each other...thats 6 games, you get 5 out of division games. Those could be with other big sky conference teams, or say MVFC teams whoever you choose. Thats 11 games.

Than the team from the "north" and teams from the "south" with the best records, play each other in the "conference championship" for the 12th and final regular season game. Then the playoffs start.

And for the teams that arent playing in the conference championship, their 12th game can go by final standings. so say 3v4...5v6...7v8...9v10...11v12...13v14

How does that not work?

Good and clear response. To me, with your proposal, I see the 2 biggest impediments/questions being the last point, which you and I agree on, as well as wondering if the 2 top teams really want to have a big conference championship game as they head into the playoffs. That may not be a problem, or big problem.

I would think the last championship weekend would be a significant financial impediment. Fans wouldn't know who they'd be playing and where, until the prior weekend. Increased cost of travel, probably. Low attendance due to it being so late in the season, not being able to plan ahead, and who wants to go to a game between the worst teams in the divisions in mid November.

While I don't think this will ever happen, it's not impossible. Thanks for the response.
The CAA, with 12 teams, has been dealing with this issue for years and has never had a conf. championship game.

kemajic said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PR cares, he just likes poking Everett with a stick.

You made me chuckle. Suppose there may be something to your observation. Good point about coaches' incentives in contracts. Of course, players and coaches care. But I, as a fan, really don't, in part because the schedules are not symmetrical. Two divisions and a conference championship isn't practical and doesn't do anything for me either. On the other hand, I'm fine with any fan still caring about conference championships and complaining about the current system. For me, nothing can be done about it, so I'm not going to spend time complaining or worrying about it.

But something can be done about it...you have the perfect examples right in front of us working every season in the Pac 12 and Big 10 and SEC.....it would literally be the easiest thing to figure out. Shit there wouldnt even be any "figuring out" to do. The template is made and proven...all we would have to do is freaking copy paste.
Bloody naïve; you need to do a little homework when you compare an FCS conference to the Pac 12 and Big 10 and SEC.

The PAC 12 championship game is a giant nothing-burger.

mcg said:
kemajic said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
You made me chuckle. Suppose there may be something to your observation. Good point about coaches' incentives in contracts. Of course, players and coaches care. But I, as a fan, really don't, in part because the schedules are not symmetrical. Two divisions and a conference championship isn't practical and doesn't do anything for me either. On the other hand, I'm fine with any fan still caring about conference championships and complaining about the current system. For me, nothing can be done about it, so I'm not going to spend time complaining or worrying about it.

But something can be done about it...you have the perfect examples right in front of us working every season in the Pac 12 and Big 10 and SEC.....it would literally be the easiest thing to figure out. Shit there wouldnt even be any "figuring out" to do. The template is made and proven...all we would have to do is freaking copy paste.
Bloody naïve; you need to do a little homework when you compare an FCS conference to the Pac 12 and Big 10 and SEC.

Yeah, the winner at minimum gets to play in the Rose bowl game. Means nothing.

braves84 said:
mcg said:
kemajic said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Pretty sure that would be the case without the game.

grizindabox said:
braves84 said:
mcg said:
kemajic said:

Uh, no, because without the game, you have two champions, a north and a south division champ. How do select who goes to the RB without the championship game?

See, in the FBS, having 12 teams in your league makes sense because everyone makes ridiculous amounts of money. In the fcs, it’s asinine to have 14 or whatever schools, because no one but the conference makes any money. Which is why the bsc brass loves the current model, fairness and fans be dammed!!

EverettGriz said:
grizindabox said:
braves84 said:
mcg said:

Uh, no, because without the game, you have two champions, a north and a south division champ. How do select who goes to the RB without the championship game?

See, in the FBS, having 12 teams in your league makes sense because everyone makes ridiculous amounts of money. In the fcs, it’s asinine to have 14 or whatever schools, because no one but the conference makes any money. Which is why the bsc brass loves the current model, fairness and fans be dammed!!

They would figure out a way, like RPI, or uniform color, or total weight of cheerleaders.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
RayWill said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
RayWill said:

8/31 @ South Dakota
9/7 South Dakota State
9/14 @ Cal Poly
9/21 NAU

9/28 @ Idaho
10/5 Idaho State
10/19 @ EWU
10/26 Weber
11/2 @PSU
11/9 MSU

and then in those years you throw in another OOC game. I dont see how this couldnt work.

The only thing that would be difficult is logistics for that Championship week game. Which schools do anyway in the playoffs already. Find out who youre playing a week ahead, book shit, and let the fun ensue. That final week before the playoffs would be so fun for multiple reasons.

Obviously the championship game, but also the 3v4 and 5v6 games would almost always have playoff implications.

The NCAA pays for the travel and other costs in the playoffs. Not schools or conferences.

grizindabox said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
I dont understand tho

Pretty much sums it up.

Getting 13 schools to agree to an unknown final game of the season because of the logistics and cost of trying to arrange travel for 50+ members of a football team when you might not know your destination until the Saturday prior. If a conference isn't willing to let the team that wins the Conference host the basketball tournament because of this, they are not going to allow it for football.

This is my thought too.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
Pretty much sums it up.

This is my thought too.
And the process of separating a 13 team conference into two divisions would not be smooth and would not benefit balance in any way. A six team division and a 7 team division - all for a conf. championship game that would be another nightmare and usually be revenue negative. More basic changes are needed for this conference than this band-aid.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

This is my thought too.
And the process of separating a 13 team conference into two divisions would not be smooth and would not benefit balance in any way. A six team division and a 7 team division - all for a conf. championship game that would be another nightmare and usually be revenue negative. More basic changes are needed for this conference than this band-aid.

His plan was to expand further to 14 teams.

Back