• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs "Weber's Not a State" cats

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
Proud Griz Man said:
I didn't see Rahe miss any shots or turn over the ball. :roll: :cool:

go take a look at the weebs board and get back to me.

This.

That fan base is D U N with Rahe. He'll remain because he's got a number of years remaining on a huge contract weebs can't afford to buy out. But trust me on this, the weber fan base is unhappy, and they're voting with their feet. Hardcore weebs fans are not going to the Dee on game day, something which was unthinkable even 3 years ago.

I popped over to their board today. Usually a game with the GRIZ would mean multiple pages on the game thread. Today? One post. ONE!

Great win by the GRIZ tonight. Coupled with ewooo's home loss to Idawhoooo, the team has further cemented their position for the league championship (I know it doesn't matter to you, pr, but it does to the rest of us).

You do know the difference between basketball and football, don't you? I realize that you don't know much about sports, and certainly not how to play them, but I sure hope you know the difference between these two.

What??

Go to bed, pr. You're slurring through your keyboard.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

This.

That fan base is D U N with Rahe. He'll remain because he's got a number of years remaining on a huge contract weebs can't afford to buy out. But trust me on this, the weber fan base is unhappy, and they're voting with their feet. Hardcore weebs fans are not going to the Dee on game day, something which was unthinkable even 3 years ago.

I popped over to their board today. Usually a game with the GRIZ would mean multiple pages on the game thread. Today? One post. ONE!

Great win by the GRIZ tonight. Coupled with ewooo's home loss to Idawhoooo, the team has further cemented their position for the league championship (I know it doesn't matter to you, pr, but it does to the rest of us).

You do know the difference between basketball and football, don't you? I realize that you don't know much about sports, and certainly not how to play them, but I sure hope you know the difference between these two.

What??

Go to bed, pr. You're slurring through your keyboard.

Nothing being slurred. You do understand the conference situations of football and basketball are different, don't you? Also, that one has 2 D-I division levels, and the other has just 1?

If this shit starts bleeding over to the basketball side I'm gonna take a fucking FLAMETHOWER to this place!

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Proud Griz Man said:

NorthEndZoneDan said:
is this the end for Rahe?

Dan - I am not arguing your point. Some vocal fans are always making critical posts.

But everyone should look at the Weber roster, with key seniors leaving in 2020 (Harding and John look to be two best players). And the Weber players on the floor last night did not look impressive.

Proud Griz Man said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
Proud Griz Man said:

NorthEndZoneDan said:
is this the end for Rahe?

Dan - I am not arguing your point. Some vocal fans are always making critical posts.

But everyone should look at the Weber roster, with key seniors leaving in 2020. And the Weber players on the floor last night did not look impressive.
At around the 8 minute mark in the 2nd it was apparent to me that weebs just wanted to get on the bus and go home. Yes Harding was hurt and didnt play, thats a big blow. Last night was odd because the bball rivalry has always been intense. But it sure looks like Rahe has lost the locker room. Weebs has one of the best facilities in the BSC in my opinion, and they have always been a contender. Their attendance is way down, support from fans, boosters, and donors is down. They had 4,000 attend when NoCo came to town, same for ewoo, terrible numbers for them. Even though they won the bsc in 2015-16, that was their last trip to the big dance since 2007. Two trips to the NCAAs in 20 years is not going to help.

Weebs is going to have their first losing season in a long time. Some of the more sane posters on the weebs board, some who post here regularly, are saying the only thing saving Rahe is the support from Lillard, and if he didnt have that he would be down the road. Rahe is a good coach, but while we sit here and worry about how soon Travis is going to be gone because he is so good and winning, the reality also cuts the other way. Coaches who lose support and dont win are quickly headed down the road, even good coaches like Rahe. Asking if this could be the beginning of the end for Rahe is a good question.

I was unimpressed with Weber from the get-go. Weber got 3 quick easy buckets around the basket on nice moves, and then virtually nothing. Harding is good, but it looked like Weber would have needed 2 or 3 Hardings to compete last night. They really did give up fast. I can see why their record is weak.

I am a big supporter of Rahe and what I have seen the last two years is less about his style or the locker-room, they just haven't been that good. Some of it is the transient nature of college basketball, but outside of Harding, they haven't had a name recruit make it to campus and provide the type of impact. He's missed on a number of kids and it shows.

They have had one or two singularly good basketball players, but their depth has been lacking. Showed last night. They won't win games without Harding in the lineup, and John clearly isn't capable of being a primary guy.

I've been told they are bullish on the freshman crop (Jordan, Fuller, Cunnigham) but it is clear from last night that our 3 key freshman are miles ahead of them in development. Their primary scorers graduate (Harding, John) but they have a lot to look forward to with their crew next year.

Grizfan-24 said:
I am a big supporter of Rahe and what I have seen the last two years is less about his style or the locker-room, they just haven't been that good. Some of it is the transient nature of college basketball, but outside of Harding, they haven't had a name recruit make it to campus and provide the type of impact. He's missed on a number of kids and it shows.

They have had one or two singularly good basketball players, but their depth has been lacking. Showed last night. They won't win games without Harding in the lineup, and John clearly isn't capable of being a primary guy.

I've been told they are bullish on the freshman crop (Jordan, Fuller, Cunnigham) but it is clear from last night that our 3 key freshman are miles ahead of them in development. Their primary scorers graduate (Harding, John) but they have a lot to look forward to with their crew next year.

I agree. I love this rivalry, and the Purple Palace is one of the showcase facilities in the entire conference. No fun to watch a game like that last night.

At lease two of the recruits Rahe missed out on are in Missoula--Sayeed Pridgett and Timmy Falls. I do like their young sophomore center, Dima Zdor, and also their freshman guard, KJ Cunningham. The cupboard is certainly not bare.

The conference is better when Weber is good, there's no debating that. What I fear is that enthusiasm for basketball is clearly waning in Ogden, and that's most certainly NOT a good thing for the conference.

From a solid poster on the Weber board:

Ugh...I have more faith in a dull rock than I do in Randy Rahe turning this wreck around.

56 of our first 57 points last night were by upperclassmen (Pridgett, Falls, and Manuel). Then we subbed with a 9 minutes to go and a 30 point lead. That means our new guys scored 1 point before clearing the bench. One.

We started the season rough because Manuel was off, Falls and Samuelson were hurt and the rest were young, young, young. We turned the tide more because our upperclassmen turned it on, more than the freshmen getting better (which they are).

I’m jazzed about our future and have said so from the end of last year. Three years from now I think we are going to have our best team ever.

My point is that next year will be a reloading year more than a next level progress. But I do think we will reload. Just may be some bumps early on.

...not sure where this thread is going...
...one thing is absolutely for sure...
...not feeling sorry for them...

... :coffee: ...

Rahe has been a head coach at Weber State going on 14 years now. He's won 100 more than he's lost and in his tenure at Weber, he's only finished outside the top 3 a handful of times. From 2006 until 2014, he didn't have a team finish lower than third and went to post season tournament in seven of those years. He at least in my eyes has earned some lee-way, but nothing lasts forever. That SLC area is basketball crazy and I can see why boosters maybe getting mildly to significantly frustrated.

In the early 2010's, you could have made the argument, year in-year out, Weber State was the best program (BYU-USU-UU-UVU) in the region. That obviously isn't the case now and there are some who absolutely don't like the WSU has lost ground.

What is remarkable, if you consider first what Wayne accomplished and now Travis, in the 2010's is the Griz finished 1st or 2nd in the conference every year but once. That is pretty astounding considering how volatile mid-major basketball is. That Randy Rahe is getting heat might have a lot to do about his collective record and performance against the UM, and where UM sits in the conference pecking order.

I think the problem is clear: They have finally come to the realization that Weber is, in fact, NOT a state. They’re distraught and can’t play their way through it.

astutegriz said:
56 of our first 57 points last night were by upperclassmen (Pridgett, Falls, and Manuel). Then we subbed with a 9 minutes to go and a 30 point lead. That means our new guys scored 1 point before clearing the bench. One.

We started the season rough because Manuel was off, Falls and Samuelson were hurt and the rest were young, young, young. We turned the tide more because our upperclassmen turned it on, more than the freshmen getting better (which they are).

I’m jazzed about our future and have said so from the end of last year. Three years from now I think we are going to have our best team ever.

My point is that next year will be a reloading year more than a next level progress. But I do think we will reload. Just may be some bumps early on.

That all the scoring was done by the vets doesn't really concern me. It is their team and the young guys have deferred to them all year for the most part, pretty normal. Also agree about next year, we will again be integrating a bunch of new guys and I expect ups and downs early like this preseason.

On the plus side the frosh have shown they can produce when needed and have all conference potential, DJ could be a top ten player in the conference next year IMO. Steadman is a proven player and with Timmy and Vasquez the point is solid. Lots of talent, unproven to be sure but with a solid pedigree, coming in fresh as well so I'm going to go with a timetable a little more optimistic than yours and say 2 years to get there. Will be fun to see it develop in any case. :thumb:

Hoops watcher said:
astutegriz said:

That all the scoring was done by the vets doesn't really concern me. It is their team and the young guys have deferred to them all year for the most part, pretty normal. Also agree about next year, we will again be integrating a bunch of new guys and I expect ups and downs early like this preseason.

On the plus side the frosh have shown they can produce when needed and have all conference potential, DJ could be a top ten player in the conference next year IMO. Steadman is a proven player and with Timmy and Vasquez the point is solid. Lots of talent, unproven to be sure but with a solid pedigree, coming in fresh as well so I'm going to go with a timetable a little more optimistic than yours and say 2 years to get there. Will be fun to see it develop in any case. :thumb:

Don't forget Gaskins.

'68griz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Sayeed will be impossible to replicate next year, but I think the overall team will be much stronger.

Just like Oguine and Rorie from last year.

Ha, good point. It may be that next year no one will be THE dominant scorers and take 12 or 15 shots like Pridgett and Manuel and 5 or 6 guys average 8 to 12 ppg. Hard to tell how ready the Cali guards and the men from Oz are. Lots of minutes available to vie for, could be a very deep contingent. I'm confident they will be in the mix for the title once again with Travis driving the bus.

Back