• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU faculty report: Athletics need to be cut Or eliminated

:lol:

I laughed my way through this entire thread.

Ewooo's situation isn't an expense problem; it's a revenue problem. The top line items of gate receipts and donations quoted in the article are terrible. It's just very difficult to make any money at the FCS level.

The other point to consider is whether ewooo's athletic programs really are "the front porch" to the university. Certainly that can be the case at a place like Montana, but evidence suggests that's not true at a largely commuter school like ewoo.

EverettGriz said:

Ewooo's situation isn't an expense problem; it's a revenue problem. The top line items of gate receipts and donations quoted in the article are terrible. It's just very difficult to make any money at the FCS level.

The other point to consider is whether ewooo's athletic programs really are "the front porch" to the university. Certainly that can be the case at a place like Montana, but evidence suggests that's not true at a largely commuter school like ewoo.

When I get down or depressed, I know I will still sleep well at night knowing that the EWU Faculty is out there tackling the issues and breaking new ground with ideas such as: "Eliminating things that lose money will help the bottom line, all else being equal." Can't learn that in a hockey rink.

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

When I get down or depressed, I know I will still sleep well at night knowing that the EWU Faculty is out there tackling the issues and breaking new ground with ideas such as: "Eliminating things that lose money will help the bottom line, all else being equal." Can't learn that in a hockey rink.

No doubt the residents of the great Inland Empire are well served by those bright minds educating their youth.

EverettGriz said:

Everett nailed it. I don't see EWU dropping the entire athletic department, but I could see them make changes to the football program. They have the other Washington directional schools to look at, with CWU at D2 and WWU having dropped football. Personally, I am not sure that dropping football would have a large impact on enrollment.

grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:

Everett nailed it. I don't see EWU dropping the entire athletic department, but I could see them make changes to the football program. They have the other Washington directional schools to look at, with CWU at D2 and WWU having dropped football. Personally, I am not sure that dropping football would have a large impact on enrollment.

How would EWU replace the scholarship and other athletes?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:

Why would they need to?

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:

Why would they need to?

To replace the enrollment lost from athletes not coming to play at EWU. Was the question about whether dropping sports would impact enrollment?

Also, think humor.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Why would they need to?

To replace the enrollment lost from athletes not coming to play at EWU. Was the question about whether dropping sports would impact enrollment?

Also, think humor.

Think funny.

This cutting the program mainly sucks for the players on scholarship! Alabama Birmingham cut football for a year or two, and it really screwed over the student athletes there! I hate EWU as much as anyone, but it really sucks for those athletes! If this is the talk, you could see players leaving there, and their recruiting is going to take a hit! Would you want your kid to take a scholarship where they’re talking about cutting athletics? This would never happen here in Missoula, but can you imagine?

How did this make it to page 2 without anyone mentioning this little gem in the title tweet: “Athletics are...one of the few things that make you proud to be an Eagle.” Wow, they don’t mince words about lack of pride in Cheney.

braves84 said:
bgbigdog said:
HookedonGriz said:
Crazy to me they would consider cutting football. When I think of EWU, I literally only think of their football program. I don’t think of them as some hot, sought after college just for education.

& diesel mechanics, right?
A friend of mine has a bot who graduated froma vo-tech school in Wahpeton ND. 5 years ago and now works in the bakken as a deisel mechanics. Works as many hours as he wants and his close to a six figure income. Laugh all you want, not to bad for a 27 year old.
Yep. Diesel mechanic can be a very good career. Guy I worked for back in the 1900's, before I knew what I wanted to do, told me to become a diesel mechanic. There will always be a demand for a good mechanic, you can get a job anywhere in the world and, you will make good money. I went to Tech instead but have never forgotten that.

Go Griz!

grizeyes said:
braves84 said:
bgbigdog said:
HookedonGriz said:
Crazy to me they would consider cutting football. When I think of EWU, I literally only think of their football program. I don’t think of them as some hot, sought after college just for education.

& diesel mechanics, right?
A friend of mine has a bot who graduated froma vo-tech school in Wahpeton ND. 5 years ago and now works in the bakken as a deisel mechanics. Works as many hours as he wants and his close to a six figure income. Laugh all you want, not to bad for a 27 year old.
Yep. Diesel mechanic can be a very good career. Guy I worked for back in the 1900's, before I knew what I wanted to do, told me to become a diesel mechanic. There will always be a demand for a good mechanic, you can get a job anywhere in the world and, you will make good money. I went to Tech instead but have never forgotten that.

Go Griz!
My brother-in-law spent 25 years in engine rooms as a diesel mechanic for the Navy. Has a great case of mesothelioma to show for it.

BozAngelesGriz said:
How did this make it to page 2 without anyone mentioning this little gem in the title tweet: “Athletics are...one of the few things that make you proud to be an Eagle.” Wow, they don’t mince words about lack of pride in Cheney.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
I would venture a guess that in the ongoing feud/battle across this nation between faculty and athletics, about 80% of colleges in America would come up with the exact same conclusion, were they to perform a similar study.
Exactly. True even at UM where athletics draws such high revenue, the faculty would do the same because they are entitled. Whether producing a marketable product or not.

The faculty is not producing a marketable product. Numbers do not lie...

by SoldierGriz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:19 pm

The faculty is not producing a marketable product. Numbers do not lie...

I think this is shades of grey and not black and white. In my opinion it is wrong to blame the faculty for not producing a marketable product. My daughter got some sort of a complex biology degree, a Wiche scholarship ( i think that is what it was) and others that made her tuition at Washington State School of Veterinary Medicine very reasonable. So I don't think it is the actual academic rigor. It is all about the marketing however. UM should be reaching out to people like my daughter to tell the story but she only occasionally gets an alumni letter asking for money. She had a job offer before graduating from WSU so those are the stories needing to be told but just aren't out there.

"And the report's analysis says that despite EWU's football success last decade, it has had no impact on enrollment or retention."

Interesting since they have been very successful at the FCS level. It would be hard to imagine their program being even more successful at this level and I certainly don't see them challenging for a NC if they moved up. It might bring in more net revenue, however. It might not as the expenses with a move up would be greater and right now I don't see a good fit for them. I see them ending up more like Idaho if they tried.A move down to cut expenses might actually be a good move financially.

The FCS progams in Montana are a whole different ballgame, however. Both athletic departments, especially the FB programs are a big part of the soul of the State for many. The Brawl is talked about, argued over and relived by many year-round.The success or lack thereof of their FB team has been shown to be fairly irrelevant to MSU as it has been run impeccably by Ms Cruzado. A successful FB program at UM will not solve the school's ills. I hope that Bodnar has the insight and the skills to reverse the slide that was definitely accelerated by the previous President obviously being in over his head.

The fact that ticket revenue is 3.7% and fund raising is 4.5% of the athletic budget tells me that nobody really cares about EWU athletics. Those numbers are pretty pathetic.

Eastern has these reports pop up every now and then, dropping athletics or the football program won’t happen...but it’s bad press and a bad look when you see stuff like this surface...

Back