EWU faculty report: Athletics need to be cut Or eliminated

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
Paytonlives

Looks like a showdown Suggesting possible elimination or move down.

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/ewu-fa ... d=19099082

Bobby Hauck 2008 (After beating the kittens)

"I wish there were 5 quarters in this game, so we could kick their asses some more!"
Allezchat

That takes some brass balls to suggest a place with a very good program for much of the last decade just go to div. 3.

Buttttttt. With how good they are they don't generate donations or increase crowd sizes at high enough volumes how will they ever?
SaskGriz

I see it as a two fold problem; like Debeers with diamonds, when EWU had a virtual monopoly on meth production in the western United States it was gravy days. The rapid growth in the Bakken Oilfields and the consequent loss of control of the market has had a ripple effect on revenues that is only being felt today. Secondly, alumni support is low as the recent introduction of fentanyl and the long standing problem of trailer park explosions have reduced alumni numbers and hence donations.
RABIDAWG

I think they would do quite well in Div 2 or 3! What an insult for recruitment.
Now, dammit, get out there and HURT somebody!
retiredpopo

look for a whirl wind around the transfer portal...

Maybe they can take a few more with them and BSC will be back to normal...
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

A lot of great points made. I don’t see a problem in eliminating EWU athletics if they interfere with the core purpose of the VoTech. The University of Phoenix and DeVrys of the world don’t have athletics, so I can see why EWU faculty is questioning this. A return to focus on the programs Sally Struthers spoke about just might be in order.
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

I would venture a guess that in the ongoing feud/battle across this nation between faculty and athletics, about 80% of colleges in America would come up with the exact same conclusion, were they to perform a similar study.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club

Crazy to me they would consider cutting football. When I think of EWU, I literally only think of their football program. I don’t think of them as some hot, sought after college just for education.
bgbigdog
eGriz Club

HookedonGriz wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:26 am
Crazy to me they would consider cutting football. When I think of EWU, I literally only think of their football program. I don’t think of them as some hot, sought after college just for education.
& diesel mechanics, right?
"Growl"
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

AZGrizFan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:25 am
I would venture a guess that in the ongoing feud/battle across this nation between faculty and athletics, about 80% of colleges in America would come up with the exact same conclusion, were they to perform a similar study.
Leave it to the esteemed EWU “faculty” to come up with this novel concept that sports cost money. They will next focus on making a square piece of rock into a round piece of rock so it will roll. Donate today.
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

bgbigdog wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:31 am
HookedonGriz wrote:
Diagnostics only. Only a professional is allowed to operate.
braves84

bgbigdog wrote:
HookedonGriz wrote:
A friend of mine has a bot who graduated froma vo-tech school in Wahpeton ND. 5 years ago and now works in the bakken as a deisel mechanics. Works as many hours as he wants and his close to a six figure income. Laugh all you want, not to bad for a 27 year old.
braves84

Meant to say a boy.stupid spell check.
Htowngriz

Can't wait for GoldenShower's hot take on this!
PlayerRep

Based on the article's summary of the report, maybe EWU needs to upgrade the quality of its faculty. Having the discussion is fine, but, at least as cherry-picked by the article, the report came across as pretty weak.

But for football and basketball, would any of us ever have heard of EWU?
RayWill

I know for a fact that a lot of the private donations that EWU has received to academics are a direct result of the success of the football program. Faculty probably didn't even consider that a possibility.
TCCGRIZ
eGriz Club

Well with Trumps war on drugs , EWU's revenue from meth has gone down significantly.
From a fan of mine "When I need a policeman to police my posts, you'll be the first person I call"
kemajic
eGriz Club

AZGrizFan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:25 am
Exactly. True even at UM where athletics draws such high revenue, the faculty would do the same because they are entitled. Whether producing a marketable product or not.
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em." - Webb Wilder
garizzalies

The report then examines what would happen if EWU maintained its Division I status, but eliminated football. That would save up to $3.5 million per year. The report calls this a "moral choice."
Moral choice? Really? This is worse than I imagined. I can’t think of a moral choice that made business sense other than maybe Victoria’s Secret carrying plus sized lingerie. But that’s just common sense.

Can you imagine if McDonald’s made the moral choice to eliminate their fries? Like why the F would anyone go there again?

Are Ewe’ers even capable of making moral choices? Seems like an oxymoron.
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

braves84 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am
bgbigdog wrote:
HookedonGriz wrote:
A friend of mine has a bot who graduated froma vo-tech school in Wahpeton ND. 5 years ago and now works in the bakken as a deisel mechanics. Works as many hours as he wants and his close to a six figure income. Laugh all you want, not to bad for a 27 year old.
Did the VoTech in Whypeton, ND have a DI Athletics program? No? Oh, OK.