• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Spring Enrollment Numbers

MTGRZ said:
The narrative that UM does not offer strong STEM degrees is also false. Getting the public to understand this is crucial. For years people around Montana have assumed that because UM offers liberal arts degrees (things like art, dance, history, english) they don't have quality STEM programs. At the same time, because msu has a quality nursing program and an engineering school people assume the only place to go for science degrees is Bozeman. Both schools have strong STEM degrees to offer students even if people don't know about it.
No UM is not strong on STEM academics. Is there another school touting STEM credentials or advertising itself as a flagship University that doesn't have an engineering program? Are we always just going to hang our hat on tech being our STEM outlet? The UM needs to step up and be relevant.

indian-outlaw said:
MTGRZ said:
The narrative that UM does not offer strong STEM degrees is also false. Getting the public to understand this is crucial. For years people around Montana have assumed that because UM offers liberal arts degrees (things like art, dance, history, english) they don't have quality STEM programs. At the same time, because msu has a quality nursing program and an engineering school people assume the only place to go for science degrees is Bozeman. Both schools have strong STEM degrees to offer students even if people don't know about it.
No UM is not strong on STEM academics. Is there another school touting STEM credentials or advertising itself as a flagship University that doesn't have an engineering program? Are we always just going to hang our hat on tech being our STEM outlet? The UM needs to step up and be relevant.
Not sure what you mean by "tech." But UM hangs its hat on Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Environmental Science, Forestry, Geology, Astronomy as STEM outlets. The biosciences are particularly excellent and under marketed.

kemajic said:
indian-outlaw said:
MTGRZ said:
Not sure what you mean by "tech." But UM hangs its hat on Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Environmental Science, Forestry, Geology, Astronomy as STEM outlets. The biosciences are particularly excellent and under marketed.
I was talking about Montana Tech having a strong engineering and techmical school. All those science degrees you mentioned are great for going to grad school, but not companies hiring for industry jobs.

indian-outlaw said:
kemajic said:
indian-outlaw said:
MTGRZ said:
I was talking about Montana Tech having a strong engineering and techmical school. All those science degrees you mentioned are great for going to grad school, but not companies hiring for industry jobs.
Companies don't limit themselves to hiring only undergraduates for industry jobs.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
wbtfg said:
MTGRZ said:

Is that a marketing/branding issue?

Everything about UM is a marketing/branding issue. :evil: :evil: :evil:

This.....the school should be renamed and the mascot changed.

The University of Marketing and Branding Issues Fighting Typos

colors can stay the same.
Naw...change the colors to that pumpkin puke orange....lol

I guess I'm going to say that UM does 100% have a branding/marketing problem. I don't know really that it is course offerings as much as some think. As we know, one school is awesome about getting promotional material out to high school students in MT. The other, not so much. Commercials stand out from one. Social media. I work with someone that called both schools looking for some banners to hang in the elementary school for some kind of themed day. Guess who sent nothing and guess who sent boxes to a bunch of little kids who at an early age may be deciding if their one or the other.

Serious question. At what point do you call it a day on the Bodner experiment? Are any of you there? If there were another 1, 2, 5 years of continued decline or stagnation? And realize I do mean "if". I'm not predicting anything. The things he's doing might all the sudden come to fruition. I will say, I always thought it a mistake to hire someone with his lack of collegiate administration experience. But it's an outside the box hire and I was definitely intrigued by the move and I'm not opposed to being proved wrong.

I was told um does have engineering at one point. It's just not as big as MSU's. Was I told wrong?

Allezchat said:
I guess I'm going to say that UM does 100% have a branding/marketing problem. I don't know really that it is course offerings as much as some think. As we know, one school is awesome about getting promotional material out to high school students in MT. The other, not so much. Commercials stand out from one. Social media. I work with someone that called both schools looking for some banners to hang in the elementary school for some kind of themed day. Guess who sent nothing and guess who sent boxes to a bunch of little kids who at an early age may be deciding if their one or the other.

Serious question. At what point do you call it a day on the Bodner experiment? Are any of you there? If there were another 1, 2, 5 years of continued decline or stagnation? And realize I do mean "if". I'm not predicting anything. The things he's doing might all the sudden come to fruition. I will say, I always thought it a mistake to hire someone with his lack of collegiate administration experience. But it's an outside the box hire and I was definitely intrigued by the move and I'm not opposed to being proved wrong.

I was told um does have engineering at one point. It's just not as big as MSU's. Was I told wrong?

Bodnar is dong well, just for the record. It's not an experiment. It was a terrific hire.

Allezchat said:

Bodnar has had nowhere near enough time to turn this ship around. Enrollment figures do not turn overnight with 4 year's of classes on board. His predecessor had your extensive collegiate administration experience; had no clue about marketing, as he believed the University was entitled to have students banging on the door to get in spite of rising tuition costs and dwindling opportunities for the degree products. He ran the University into the ground. Someone from outside was needed to get after costs and move curricula. With tenure and other hurdles within the swamp, it can't happen overnight. UM is grossly overbuilt for the current enrollment which brings along its own costs burden, not easily addressed.

UM's engineering is only at Montana Tech. It is excellent, but much narrower in scope relative to MSU.

With all the MSU marketing you describe, MSU-Billings is struggling at least as badly as UM.

Um has failed miserably in the past decade at marketing. No presence at events from Hoopfest (225,000 spectators and 6000 teams, mostly of the high school and grade school age) to the damn lawn and garden shows. Every other regional college and university has a booth. UM had some nice billboards a while back but that passive marketing doesn’t do much.

I agree UM needs to up its curriculum. My sister tried to come back to get a masters in Ed at um. Her undergrad was at a high quality college, she’s been teaching for years. UM wanted her to take 2 full years of classes. Really?? No summer curriculum so you can keep teaching as you work on the degree? It’s asinine. She is going online through a better school for 1/2 the cost and time.

My son was recruited to both UM and MSU (Yes he made the correct life choice) but I have to say the shiny new MSU campus, from business school to cafeteria was way the hell more impressive as was the quality of the orientation tours.

UM should update its curriculum to include more tech / medicine / biotech. And have you EVER tried to use the UM library if you are not a student? I mean holy hell, I dumped $10s of thousands into this school, and still am, not to mention it’s a state university, and It’s damn near impossible to access.

My son is going into High School next year, and has already got e-mails and/or letters from the following schools saying something like "High School is right around the corner, time to start thinking about College" (paraphrasing, but you get the point). My son is a TERRIBLE Athlete, so it isn't because of that...

Montana State
Wyoming
Boise State
Washington
Oregon
New Mexico State
North and South Dakota State
University Minnesota (This probably because I went there)

My point is, EVERY 8th grader in Montana stould be getting something like this from UM... Maybe others are, but none of his friends have one from them, and they all get them from other colleges.

Allezchat said:

Seth has been here a year man...he gets some time.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Allezchat said:

Seth has been here a year man...he gets some time.

Is that it? My bad. This year has been crazy for me. Feels like it's been a couple.

SACCAT66 said:
My son is going into High School next year, and has already got e-mails and/or letters from the following schools saying something like "High School is right around the corner, time to start thinking about College" (paraphrasing, but you get the point). My son is a TERRIBLE Athlete, so it isn't because of that...

Montana State
Wyoming
Boise State
Washington
Oregon
New Mexico State
North and South Dakota State
University Minnesota (This probably because I went there)

My point is, EVERY 8th grader in Montana stould be getting something like this from UM... Maybe others are, but none of his friends have one from them, and they all get them from other colleges.

SacCat I agree. Unfortunately I observed the same with our sons. The younger one received twice as many contacts from schools on the East coast and mid-west, and probably six times as many from MSU, as he had from Montana. Hope to hell Bodner gets this failure addressed

Another thing. Not really too important but...
Why is it I can not get Riley on a grizzly basketball game in many parts of Montana? I’m on the road a bit and every jerkwater town carries the shitty kitty network but our FLAGSHIP program is Damn near invisible.

It hasn’t always been like that. As a kid living in a rural MT area, I listened to Griz basketball on the radio when Sugar Ray and Derrick Pope were playing and that was why I signed up for the high school UM tour day. The first game I saw as a high school senior, LK was a freshman. There were 7000 plus at the game. It was like Griz-Cat night only we were playing ISU. I tossed my other liberal arts school catalogs in the the trash at that point. I just wanted to be part of that energy.

SaskGriz said:
retiredpopo said:
PlayerRep said:
retiredpopo said:
Bodner was hired October 2017.

Bodnar didn't start until January 2018. He was offered the job and accepted it earlier.

Yes he accepted in early Oct. of 2017.
Either way, we all agree, he's only been at it for a year.

two years, and it appears the university still hasn't rectified the most basic problems with recruiting even montana h.s. students. but that doesn't matter, he hired Bobby and can do push-ups. growing a real beard, not so much, but there's time, so be patient! until he gets 'his guys' teaching english 101, he shouldn't be evaluated for anything but push-ups and bobby.

argh! said:
SaskGriz said:
retiredpopo said:
PlayerRep said:
Bodnar didn't start until January 2018. He was offered the job and accepted it earlier.

Yes he accepted in early Oct. of 2017.
Either way, we all agree, he's only been at it for a year.

two years, and it appears the university still hasn't rectified the most basic problems with recruiting even montana h.s. students. but that doesn't matter, he hired Bobby and can do push-ups. growing a real beard, not so much, but there's time, so be patient! until he gets 'his guys' teaching english 101, he shouldn't be evaluated for anything but push-ups and bobby.

And so how would you solve all of UM's ailments and turn the ship around in 2 years?

Back