• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Herder Ranks Griz 3 in Chances of Winning Next National Title

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Every other conference with an unbalanced schedule has a conference championship game.

Without one, it’s a crock

You’re welcome.

I don't care about a conference championship game. What's does that get you?

Do you really care who the Big Sky conference champion is? I don't. I probably couldn't name the conference champion since Hauck left in 2009.

You're welcome.

The conference championship gives you the highest seed of any team in your conference.... Are you really saying that you dont care if the griz are conference champions?

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Every other conference with an unbalanced schedule has a conference championship game.

You’re welcome.

Do you really care who the Big Sky conference champion is? I don't. I probably couldn't name the conference champion since Hauck left in 2009.

You're welcome.

The conference championship gives you the highest seed of any team in your conference.... Are you really saying that you dont care if the griz are conference champions?
I would bet most coaches have it in their contracts about incentives met if they win a conference championship.

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

You’re welcome.

You're welcome.

I don't think that is correct it just guarantees an automatic bid. But i agree i think it is important to be conference champs and foolish to not want to be.

braves84 said:
SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

You’re welcome.

You're welcome.

I would bet most coaches have it in their contracts about incentives met if they win a conference championship.

Ditto. Why the heck would you not want that? I bet every coach and player would.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

You’re welcome.

You're welcome.

I bet every player remembers if they were big sky champs as does every coach, probably more important to them than to you.

Do you know why you can't name one, PR? Because it hasn't been US in 10 years.

I distinctly remember the days around here bragging about "13 straight" conference championships or some shit like that. Then that train derailed and now we don't care about them?

retiredpopo said:
braves84 said:
SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:

You're welcome.

Ditto. Why the heck would you not want that? I bet every coach and player would.

PR cares, he just likes poking Everett with a stick.

AZGrizFan said:
Do you know why you can't name one, PR? Because it hasn't been US in 10 years.

I distinctly remember the days around here bragging about "13 straight" conference championships or some shit like that. Then that train derailed and now we don't care about them?

Right? I have never heard of a coach at ANY level say "We don't care about winning the Conference", hell even in High School sports, you want to win your division, or district...

alabamagrizzly said:
retiredpopo said:
braves84 said:
SACCAT66 said:

gotcha

alabamagrizzly said:
retiredpopo said:
braves84 said:
SACCAT66 said:

To be more specific, his argument is complete bullshit, but of course you’ll never get him to admit that, so he just continues to dig the hole deeper and deeper, spouting off ridiculous statements like not caring about championships. It’s just more of pr doing pr things.

alabamagrizzly said:
retiredpopo said:
braves84 said:
SACCAT66 said:

You made me chuckle. Suppose there may be something to your observation. Good point about coaches' incentives in contracts. Of course, players and coaches care. But I, as a fan, really don't, in part because the schedules are not symmetrical. Two divisions and a conference championship isn't practical and doesn't do anything for me either. On the other hand, I'm fine with any fan still caring about conference championships and complaining about the current system. For me, nothing can be done about it, so I'm not going to spend time complaining or worrying about it.

PlayerRep said:
Good point about coaches' incentives in contracts. Of course, players and coaches care. But I, as a fan, really don't, in part because the schedules are not symmetrical. Two divisions and a conference championship isn't practical and doesn't do anything for me either. On the other hand, I'm fine with any fan still caring about conference championships and complaining about the current system. For me, nothing can be done about it, so I'm not going to spend time complaining or worrying about it.

PR, honestly that's about where I'm at.

Although I disagree that nothing can be done about it. All they need to do is go back to 8 or 9 teams in the conference.

Cut loose bottom feeders like UNC, SUU, CP, PSU, etc. Those schools serve zero purpose, are rarely competitive in ANY sport and worse, are geographical outliers that are in many cases difficult to get to.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

You’re welcome.

You're welcome.

It solves the original complaint of not having to compete against teams with the same in conference schedules. Penn State plays the same side of their conference as Ohio State and Michigan every year. That makes it fair.

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
retiredpopo said:
braves84 said:

You made me chuckle. Suppose there may be something to your observation. Good point about coaches' incentives in contracts. Of course, players and coaches care. But I, as a fan, really don't, in part because the schedules are not symmetrical. Two divisions and a conference championship isn't practical and doesn't do anything for me either. On the other hand, I'm fine with any fan still caring about conference championships and complaining about the current system. For me, nothing can be done about it, so I'm not going to spend time complaining or worrying about it.

But something can be done about it...you have the perfect examples right in front of us working every season in the Pac 12 and Big 10 and SEC.....it would literally be the easiest thing to figure out. Shit there wouldnt even be any "figuring out" to do. The template is made and proven...all we would have to do is freaking copy paste.

"Nothing can be done about it".

Words that the bsc brass desperately count on their fans constantly repeating. And what's terribly sad is that we do.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
retiredpopo said:

But something can be done about it...you have the perfect examples right in front of us working every season in the Pac 12 and Big 10 and SEC.....it would literally be the easiest thing to figure out. Shit there wouldnt even be any "figuring out" to do. The template is made and proven...all we would have to do is freaking copy paste.

But you would be giving two teams that are (probably) locks for the playoffs a chance for another D-1 win that the bubble teams would love to have.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
retiredpopo said:

I don't know, during a 12 game season, a team could potentially end up playing 17 games. That seems a bit much for amateur football players.

The problem is the ncaa limitation on number of games and period when games can be played, as
well as playoff schedule.

Even if changed, other teams would either have season end a week earlier or a bye week the week before Thanksgiving. Or play one less game and lose revenue.

Why would 2 playoff teams, ie top 2 in conference, want to play another game a week before Thanksgiving?

Why would other conferences want to change season and-or playoff schedule for the Big Sky?

EverettGriz said:
"Nothing can be done about it".

Words that the bsc brass desperately count on their fans constantly repeating. And what's terribly sad is that we do.

Okay, see my above post and tell us how it could be done.

Well, obviously it could easily be accomplished by dropping one noncon game, as bsc basketball has done.

But that's somewhat akin to trying to put on a condom while in the delivery room. The bsc fucked up when they added multiple programs who have no business being in the conference, and with no plan on how to operate a fair, equitable and sensible league after doing so. But, of course, this being the bsc, I guess they're still at even par.

Of course, the best solution is to jettison programs from the conference. But, well, #bsc....

Back