• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Spring Enrollment Numbers

Rather than continue to say UM enrollment isn't what it should be but MSU is doing much better. Seems to me UM has no choice but to add additional degree programs. Or simply change the ones you do have that aren't doing so well. But to do nothing and expect different results is futile!

Allezchat said:
With that kind of a drop in undergrad #'s have any forms been closed? Dropping the # in half I assume means a lot of empty dorm rooms. Just curious what they've done on the campus with dorms.

It is much easier to have your own room instead of doubling up.

retiredpopo said:
Allezchat said:
With that kind of a drop in undergrad #'s have any forms been closed? Dropping the # in half I assume means a lot of empty dorm rooms. Just curious what they've done on the campus with dorms.

It's far more serious than just dorms. Dennison grossly overbuilt the University as his legacy and all those buildings require services and maintenance, not to mention interest on the loans. Whether occupied or not.

kemajic said:
retiredpopo said:
Allezchat said:

It's far more serious than just dorms. Dennison grossly overbuilt the University as his legacy and all those buildings require services and maintenance, not to mention interest on the loans. Whether occupied or not.

Yep.

reinell30 said:
Rather than continue to say UM enrollment isn't what it should be but MSU is doing much better. Seems to me UM has no choice but to add additional degree programs. Or simply change the ones you do have that aren't doing so well. But to do nothing and expect different results is futile!
UM needs to strengthen their current programs. they need to dump large sums of money into these so that they are worth going to. it would be foolish to add programs and them being mediocre. nursing, engineering, and medical school will never be added to UM simply because of cost and duplication of programs.
as far as graduate student numbers, it looks great on paper but the overall qualtiy that im seeing is not great. definitely some good ones but also some very poor ones.

hokeyfine said:
reinell30 said:
UM needs to strengthen their current programs. they need to dump large sums of money into these so that they are worth going to. it would be foolish to add programs and them being mediocre. nursing, engineering, and medical school will never be added to UM simply because of cost and duplication of programs.
as far as graduate student numbers, it looks great on paper but the overall qualtiy that im seeing is not great. definitely some good ones but also some very poor ones.

But there is the problem... Where do you get the money to dump into the programs. Do you take it from Athletics? Raise tuition? Drop programs and staff and use the money from that? If you aren't getting money in from enrollment, how do you get it?

hokeyfine said:
reinell30 said:

I'm curious how you know some graduate programs are not quality. Which programs are "very poor?"

The narrative that UM does not offer strong STEM degrees is also false. Getting the public to understand this is crucial. For years people around Montana have assumed that because UM offers liberal arts degrees (things like art, dance, history, english) they don't have quality STEM programs. At the same time, because msu has a quality nursing program and an engineering school people assume the only place to go for science degrees is Bozeman. Both schools have strong STEM degrees to offer students even if people don't know about it.

MTGRZ said:
The narrative that UM does not offer strong STEM degrees is also false. Getting the public to understand this is crucial. For years people around Montana have assumed that because UM offers liberal arts degrees (things like art, dance, history, english) they don't have quality STEM programs. At the same time, because msu has a quality nursing program and an engineering school people assume the only place to go for science degrees is Bozeman. Both schools have strong STEM degrees to offer students even if people don't know about it.

Is that a marketing/branding issue?

wbtfg said:
MTGRZ said:

Everything about UM is a marketing/branding issue. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Raider said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Raider said:
Htowngriz said:
So it stands at 4, isn't close to being over, but won't get anywhere close to 16. Right. Get a grip.

Uh, ok. No, I don’t see them hitting a 16 game winning streak. That’s a freak deal that won’t ever happen again.

They have won 4 straight, and the gap is widening. What makes you think that is all of a sudden going to pivot, or is it just the Griz fan with your head in the sand thingy?

How is the gap widening?

Seriously?! Did you happen to watch last November?

Even the most devout Griz fan cannot spin what took place last year. You can’t blame a first year coaching change, new scheme, injuries, new starters, etc. That was a full on beat down, with very little competitive about that game whatsoever. MSU wins that game 99 out of 100 times.

What do you see that is going to miraculously change that, other than blind hope.

So getting your ass kicked one year completely tells the story of where the program is headed? Its pointless to get started on this with you, because you are without a doubt one of the 3 worst posters on this board. Everything that comes out of your mouth is pure shit.

But in reality, we actually had an extremely young team, with a 2nd year coach make a good playoff run, and earlier than anticipated. I would say the program is trending in the right direction, so are the Cats.

AZGrizFan said:
wbtfg said:
MTGRZ said:

Am I crazy or do I remember the U hiring a high powered marketing guy that worked for Obama? I thought he was going to take care of marketing/branding. Whatever became of that?

ilovethecats said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:
"Better" doesn't quite describe the dominance that the UM men's basketball program has had over MSU, winning 18 of the last 19 games. As it relates to football, it's a stretch to say MSU has been better, winning but 6 of the last 14. There is rodeo.....
As a Cat fan this is actually excellent news. Because if we're not better than UM football right now, I'm VERY excited for what it looks like when we are.

In regards to the hoops, you are preaching to the choir on that one. I've been complaining about it for years. Both schools act like football is god when in fact UM has been a hoops school and the best in the league for decades. For some reason no one talks about it which is fine with me if we can't figure out how to beat you guys on the hardwood.

How do you consider yourself better? Weve had virtually the same playoff success over the decade, which until this year isnt saying much. Youve won the brawl 6 to our 4. Weve absolutely won the facilities arms race over the last decade.

Id say at this point were basically the same football program as far as phases go.
Maybe you didn't mean to quote me? I never said we are better. I said if we're NOT better than the griz right now that is excellent news for whenever we ARE better.

We just graduated a group of seniors who never lost to the griz and capped their careers with a 5td route. So I'll go a step farther for arguments sake and say the Cats and griz are dead equal right now. My point stands that I'm very excited for what it will look like if we are ever actually better... :thumb:

I see, misread your post I guess. The Cats are currently enjoying what seams to be one of the best runs in program history. Id say both programs are headed in the right direction. The Griz seem to be finally through the shit storm that has plagued us the last 5 years as well.

AZGrizFan said:
wbtfg said:
MTGRZ said:

This.....the school should be renamed and the mascot changed.

The University of Marketing and Branding Issues Fighting Typos

colors can stay the same.

SACCAT66 said:
hokeyfine said:
reinell30 said:

But there is the problem... Where do you get the money to dump into the programs. Do you take it from Athletics? Raise tuition? Drop programs and staff and use the money from that? If you aren't getting money in from enrollment, how do you get it?

Recruit more out of state and international students. Tuition rates are much higher.

cclarkblues said:
AZGrizFan said:
wbtfg said:
MTGRZ said:

Am I crazy or do I remember the U hiring a high powered marketing guy that worked for Obama? I thought he was going to take care of marketing/branding. Whatever became of that?

Well CC, you just hit the problem dead center on the head!

It appears the University is or near a crisis situation and close to insolvency. Now isn’t the time to worry about changing conferences or moving up as I’ve advocated for years. We must have confidence in our UM President and staff and hope they will be able to resolve the problems of the school we love.

Spanky2 said:
It appears the University is or near a crisis situation and close to insolvency. Now isn’t the time to worry about changing conferences or moving up as I’ve advocated for years. We must have confidence in our UM President and staff and hope they will be able to resolve the problems of the school we love.

That's a pretty big claim, Sparky.

Htowngriz said:
Spanky2 said:

That's a pretty big claim, Sparky.

Yeah cool your jets bud

wbtfg said:
MTGRZ said:

Yes, to a large extent. And like the cornerback issue, one seemingly not solved overnight. Unlike some things in our world, you can’t put enough lipstick on this pig to market it adequately.

Back