• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Spring Enrollment Numbers

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:
SACCAT66 said:
Athletically, they are only better than MSU at Mens Basketball (the year isn't over, and they are good at softball, a sport MSU doesn't have).
"Better" doesn't quite describe the dominance that the UM men's basketball program has had over MSU, winning 18 of the last 19 games. As it relates to football, it's a stretch to say MSU has been better, winning but 6 of the last 14. There is rodeo.....
As a Cat fan this is actually excellent news. Because if we're not better than UM football right now, I'm VERY excited for what it looks like when we are.

In regards to the hoops, you are preaching to the choir on that one. I've been complaining about it for years. Both schools act like football is god when in fact UM has been a hoops school and the best in the league for decades. For some reason no one talks about it which is fine with me if we can't figure out how to beat you guys on the hardwood.

How do you consider yourself better? Weve had virtually the same playoff success over the decade, which until this year isnt saying much. Youve won the brawl 6 to our 4. Weve absolutely won the facilities arms race over the last decade.

Id say at this point were basically the same football program as far as phases go.

Raider said:
Htowngriz said:
Raider said:
ilovethecats said:
As a Cat fan this is actually excellent news. Because if we're not better than UM football right now, I'm VERY excited for what it looks like when we are.

Oh, no, you are and the gap is widening. You won’t come anywhere close to 16, but you’ll enjoy a healthy streak that isn’t even close to being over.

So it stands at 4, isn't close to being over, but won't get anywhere close to 16. Right. Get a grip.

Uh, ok. No, I don’t see them hitting a 16 game winning streak. That’s a freak deal that won’t ever happen again.

They have won 4 straight, and the gap is widening. What makes you think that is all of a sudden going to pivot, or is it just the Griz fan with your head in the sand thingy?

How is the gap widening?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Raider said:
Htowngriz said:
Raider said:
Oh, no, you are and the gap is widening. You won’t come anywhere close to 16, but you’ll enjoy a healthy streak that isn’t even close to being over.

So it stands at 4, isn't close to being over, but won't get anywhere close to 16. Right. Get a grip.

Uh, ok. No, I don’t see them hitting a 16 game winning streak. That’s a freak deal that won’t ever happen again.

They have won 4 straight, and the gap is widening. What makes you think that is all of a sudden going to pivot, or is it just the Griz fan with your head in the sand thingy?

How is the gap widening?

Seriously?! Did you happen to watch last November?

Even the most devout Griz fan cannot spin what took place last year. You can’t blame a first year coaching change, new scheme, injuries, new starters, etc. That was a full on beat down, with very little competitive about that game whatsoever. MSU wins that game 99 out of 100 times.

What do you see that is going to miraculously change that, other than blind hope.

Raider said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Raider said:
Htowngriz said:

How is the gap widening?

Even the most devout Griz fan cannot spin what took place last year. You can’t blame a first year coaching change, new scheme, injuries, new starters, etc. That was a full on beat down, with very little competitive about that game whatsoever. MSU wins that game 99 out of 100 times.

What do you see that is going to miraculously change that, other than blind hope.
Probably the fact that they lost 4 dline men, and most of their secondary, which should make the game more competitive. Not to mention the game is in Missoula this year. Relax bro! I’m not saying we'll win the game, We might, but it should be more competitive this year.

Raider said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Raider said:
Htowngriz said:

How is the gap widening?

I can buy into some of what you’re selling. But I’m not anywhere close to the gloom you are stating. What do I see that could change it?

- them having to play at WaGriz can’t hurt. The Griz have a 82% winning percentage there
- having a QB who isn’t coming off injury and is only at 50% won’t hurt
- maybe not being sandwiched with back to back to back “rivalry” games like last year will help too (EWU, Idaho, Cats).
- having a hell of a team coming back won’t hurt
- having a little more luck won’t hurt either....that Cats team put the ball on the turf 4 times in that game and got it back each time.

I don’t think there’s as big of a gap as you say. But that’s just my opinion.

Raider said:
Htowngriz said:
Raider said:
ilovethecats said:

Call me a sugarcoater if you want, but I would contend that the gap between the two programs isn't nearly as large as that game made it appear.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:
SACCAT66 said:
Athletically, they are only better than MSU at Mens Basketball (the year isn't over, and they are good at softball, a sport MSU doesn't have).
"Better" doesn't quite describe the dominance that the UM men's basketball program has had over MSU, winning 18 of the last 19 games. As it relates to football, it's a stretch to say MSU has been better, winning but 6 of the last 14. There is rodeo.....

In regards to the hoops, you are preaching to the choir on that one. I've been complaining about it for years. Both schools act like football is god when in fact UM has been a hoops school and the best in the league for decades. For some reason no one talks about it which is fine with me if we can't figure out how to beat you guys on the hardwood.

How do you consider yourself better? Weve had virtually the same playoff success over the decade, which until this year isnt saying much. Youve won the brawl 6 to our 4. Weve absolutely won the facilities arms race over the last decade.

Id say at this point were basically the same football program as far as phases go.
Maybe you didn't mean to quote me? I never said we are better. I said if we're NOT better than the griz right now that is excellent news for whenever we ARE better.

We just graduated a group of seniors who never lost to the griz and capped their careers with a 5td route. So I'll go a step farther for arguments sake and say the Cats and griz are dead equal right now. My point stands that I'm very excited for what it will look like if we are ever actually better... :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
We just graduated a group of seniors who never lost to the griz and capped their careers with a 5td route. So I'll go a step farther for arguments sake and say the Cats and griz are dead equal right now. My point stands that I'm very excited for what it will look like if we are ever actually better... :thumb:
Therein lies a problem; you graduated a LARGE group of seniors.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-early-favorites-win-national-title-bzbz

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:
Therein lies a problem; you graduated a LARGE group of seniors.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-early-favorites-win-national-title-bzbz

I don't feel like we graduated too many, but I guess I never really counted. Some holes to fill, particularly at WR, DL and S though no doubt. I never said anything to the contrary.

I simply pointed out we've had a lot of success over the Griz lately which has been nice. But if that success doesn't mean we're better, despite four straight head to head wins, I'm fine with that as the future should be really bright. That was my only point. If we're not better than the griz now, I can't WAIT for what it looks like when we are.

To be clear UM is Montana's Flagship University. MSU is Montana's Land Grant College.
That's how they were established, are, and forever will be. It doesn't have anything to do with ratings, enrollment, or endowments.

reinell30 said:
What would it take to add a nursing school or an engineering school to UM? Medical field is and will continue to grow. Just like the food industry, people always have to eat.

Between MSU, Tech and Carroll, I'm not sure if there's enough demand for another engineering program in the state.

I am always amazed at how many sports aficionados draw conclusions for the future based on the outcome of one game. Shit, the Griz beat down the Cats two years running prior to the current 4 game Cat streak.

reinell30 said:
What would it take to add a nursing school or an engineering school to UM? Medical field is and will continue to grow. Just like the food industry, people always have to eat.
I think the UM is the only BSC school without an engineering program. Southern Utah might be another.
Edit* just looked SUU has an abet accredited engineering program. We are the only school in the BSC to not have engineering.

reinell30 said:
I have no idea, but I wish they would do it. Might be a question to ask the BOR. part of the issue is with the budget crisis, I’m not sure they could afford to do it right now any way unless you cut more liberal arts programs (which I’d be ok with) but that would cause a massive uprising. Also you have to put the school in a building as well and idk where you would put that.

Also you can do nursing at UM, but you take it through msu

reinell30 said:

Maybe move towards biotechnology and chemistry. Tech will always be THE engineering school in the state. Our dropouts excel at MSU.

reinell30 said:

That would be like adding a law school at MSU. Not gonna happen

indian-outlaw said:
reinell30 said:
I think the UM is the only BSC school without an engineering program. Southern Utah might be another.
Edit* just looked SUU has an abet accredited engineering program. We are the only school in the BSC to not have engineering.

States organize higher education differently. The fact that UM doesn’t have an engineering program probably has a lot to do with having Tech under the umbrella. Which is a very good engineering school.

With that kind of a drop in undergrad #'s have any forms been closed? Dropping the # in half I assume means a lot of empty dorm rooms. Just curious what they've done on the campus with dorms.

Always thought the nursing school should have been on the same campus with pharmacy and other medical fields. Real careers from these. Seems that MSU has been dialing in the jobs idea since they were known as “moo U”, the ag college. Back in the 60’s, a long haired hippie from Missoula going to a function in bozo, came back with a haircut from the future farmers and rodeo guys. They own farms and ranches now, engineering firms, other real jobs. I would guess a lot of would be HS students don’t see the value of college.
At what enrollment numbers would we find ourselves at Division 2?

Back