• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DeCuire is the GOAT

StumptownGriz

Takes an incredibly young team from losing to Tech to 1st place in the Big Sky. Unbelievable job Coach Trav. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Honorable mention to Sayeed for putting this young team on his back. Hes gotta be up there as one of the best leaders to ever suit up for the Griz. Hope he follows in DeCuires footsteps and comes back to coach the Griz one day. Guys a basketball genius IMO.

OIP.y7yn6Ty0sV799Je3Poz9CwHaFj

Couldn't agree more on both counts, Stump.

Well, to be contrary, he hasn't lead the team to a win in the NCAA yet. If he can do that, there's no doubt about it.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
He is certainly in the discussion. I'm with Peaux on this one, a W in the Big Dance would seal the deal for me.

I agree to some degree. But there's only two of those in program history, so no doubt it's a high standard. But if you're truly GOAT worthy, it's probably a box you need checked

To do what he has with this team....a team who started and now regularly rotates 3 true freshman....in what was supposed to be an absolute rebuild year....is nothing short of astonishing. He is hands down the best coach the Griz have ever had in my opinion. The transfers he has eligible next year makes this team even better. He may get his tourney win sooner than we think. Regardless, I agree he is the GOAT.

I get the argument for a tourney win being needed as a cherry on top. That would seal the deal.

I know there is some season left, but have we seen a better coaching job in Griz history than DeCuire this season? I don't think we have.

StumptownGriz said:
I get the argument for a tourney win being needed as a cherry on top. That would seal the deal.

I know there is some season left, but have we seen a better coaching job in Griz history than DeCuire this season? I don't think we have.

Larry's first year ranks right up there for me. He took over after the Kennedy debacle, the Griz won only 10 games under Kennedy in 2003, probably the low point in the program's history. Larry's first year coaching the Griz in 2004 went 18-13, beat weebs for the BSC tourney and into the Big Dance.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
StumptownGriz said:

Larry's first year ranks right up there for me. He took over after the Kennedy debacle, the Griz won only 10 games under Kennedy in 2003, probably the low point in the program's history. Larry's first year coaching the Griz in 2004 went 18-13, beat weebs for the BSC tourney and into the Big Dance.

Ya but it’s hard to count him since he barely finished his cup of coffee before he walked right back out the door.

Not even top 3 .... yet

Jud created it, Monte established it, and Krysko turned disaster into success.

Travis inherited something good already. Get a win in the Big Dance then we talk.

I am in the group who thinks DeCuire is the best pure coach that UM has ever had. He seems to come close to working absolute miracles every season. I truly can't believe how he gets his team playing great every single year. Each year, early on, I wonder if the team can compete, or compete at the top level, and then DeCuire has them competing for the championship. To me, truly amazing.

ordigger said:
Not even top 3 .... yet

Travis inherited something good already. Get a win in the Big Dance then we talk.

Look, I love Monte, but he never even MADE the Tournament, and won just one bsc regular season title.

PlayerRep said:
I am in the group who thinks DeCuire is the best pure coach that UM has ever had. He seems to come close to working absolute miracles every season. I truly can't believe how he gets his team playing great every single year. Each year, early on, I wonder if the team can compete, or compete at the top level, and then DeCuire has them competing for the championship. To me, truly amazing.
I agree.

'68griz said:
PlayerRep said:
I agree.

Considering what he lost from last year's team the results have been great this year. 2 of the 10 best players in the conference or 3 of the best 15, however you want to look at it. With the recent breakouts of Mac and Josh he has 7 guys that can get you 15 or 20 points and 4 weren't even here last season. I figured on a lot of ups and downs, but wherever they end up they are in a good place now and have exceeded expectations if one is realistic. By rights Coach should be a COTY shoo in.

EverettGriz said:
ordigger said:
Not even top 3 .... yet

Look, I love Monte, but he never even MADE the Tournament, and won just one bsc regular season title.

This is true. Went to most of the games in the Krysco years and they never got over the hump. We drove to Boise for the tourney (83 or 4?) and they bombed in the first round that year. Travis' guys get it done when it's clobbering time.

March 1985? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Big_Sky_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

Hoops watcher said:
This is true. Went to most of the games in the Krysco years and they never got over the hump. We drove to Boise for the tourney (83 or 4?) and they bombed in the first round that year. Travis' guys get it done when it's clobbering time.
Leroy Washington, John Boyd, John Bates, Larry McBride, Zanon, Krysko, Herb

" Krysko is our Bread & Butter, Herb is our Jam "

ordigger said:
Not even top 3 .... yet

He's the fastest coach to 50 conference wins in Big Sky history, and the only Grizzly head coach to ever win 3 regular season big sky titles.

I get that Jud won a championship with Michigan State, but what did he do here outside of the anomaly that was 1975? It's not like the team was in great shape when he left. Krysko couldnt win a regular season title, and Mike is the same story as Jud. He had much more success after he left Missoula, despite probably having the most talent at his disposal of any Griz coach while here.

My 3
Trav - statistically the best coach
Blaine Taylor - the coach that took us to the next level and continued the coaching tree by giving jobs to guys like Krystko and Decuire
Mike Montgomery - imo he is responsible for establishing the coaching tree into what it is today by giving guys like Taylor, Morill, and Decuire coaching jobs

I want to take this a step farther. I think he’s the best coach we’ve ever had in any discipline. Not that he meant more for a program or had the biggest impact; but best overall coach. I put him above not only Jud and Robin, but Papa Bear too!

There’s just something about a defensive minded point guard who is tough as nails. Best possible combo for a team approach.

Loved his comment last night, “pressure bursts pipes.” There’s no other team in our conference that plays like us.

Back