• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early 2020/21 Team

grizonbob said:
maroonandsilver said:
mtgrizrule said:
As of 1/13/2020 GRIZ basketball has added 6'8", 230 LB Darius Henderson to the team. I am not sure how his eligibility will play out. I am guessing he will play 2 complete years (20/21 and 21/22). DeCuire's addressing a huge need with front court depth and talent.

Next season GRIZ bigs will be: Steadman, Henderson, Anderson, Yagi, Owens, Carter Hollinger, and Bannan. That is 7 post players of various skills. All of which are worthy of being consistent contributors. This will be the deepest the GRIZ have ever been in the paint, to my knowledge at least.

The GRIZ backcourt will be: Gaskin, Falls, Vasquez, Egun, Brown, Clarke, Beasley, and Whitney. That is 8 quality guards. We already know how terrific DeCuire led guards play. The GRIZ will truly be even deeper at guard than prior years.

I know, I left out a few names (Briceno and Jones). I see 15 players very solid quality, and even question if a few of the listed may leave, at least it's always a possibility. Even with a few players choosing to leave, I have no doubt, the GRIZ will have the talent and depth to comfortably do something DeCuire has never done, and always resisted doing. He can honestly put together a terrific game plan, going no less than 10 deep. I honestly hope, he considers 1 group that goes 25-30 minutes per game, and a 2nd group of 10-15 minutes per game.

Sounds to me, he actually will have the luxury of going 40 minutes of intense pressure and pushing the offense more. Don't get we wrong, I love how he works a 7 to 9 man rotation, but with this kind of depth, how can he not at least experiment with no less than 10 deep? This is something we have discussed a few times here. Yet, DeCuire has stuck with his 7 to 9 man rotations (depending on opponents and matchups).

I for one, would love to see this. I already know, Citay will give this a seal of approval. I hope he weighs in on this (minus his inner Bill Walton...haha). Thoughts, comments, etc?

Peter Jones has been absent from the bench for weeks. Has he packed it in?

He is no longer listed on the roster on gogriz

Just looked on GoGriz and #32 Peter Jones is still listed. Not sure what you were looking at.

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hoops watcher said:
Agree on him possibly wanting to ratchet up pressure with more quality depth. Hopefully enough minutes to keep people happy, that's a nice problem to have. They will be even younger next year when you think about it.

I think, Falls and Steadman will be the only SR's. Could this open up a redshirt year for Anderson? That could help him a lot.

That is a possibility but the way Mac has been playing would a RS year put him back in development ?
That depends on what the staff and Mack thinks

mtgrizrule said:
fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hoops watcher said:
Agree on him possibly wanting to ratchet up pressure with more quality depth. Hopefully enough minutes to keep people happy, that's a nice problem to have. They will be even younger next year when you think about it.

I think, Falls and Steadman will be the only SR's. Could this open up a redshirt year for Anderson? That could help him a lot.

That is a possibility but the way Mac has been playing would a RS year put him back in development ?
That depends on what the staff and Mack thinks

Forgot about them but this is EGRIZ what do they know. :mrgreen:

PeauxRouge said:
grizonbob said:
maroonandsilver said:
mtgrizrule said:
As of 1/13/2020 GRIZ basketball has added 6'8", 230 LB Darius Henderson to the team. I am not sure how his eligibility will play out. I am guessing he will play 2 complete years (20/21 and 21/22). DeCuire's addressing a huge need with front court depth and talent.

Next season GRIZ bigs will be: Steadman, Henderson, Anderson, Yagi, Owens, Carter Hollinger, and Bannan. That is 7 post players of various skills. All of which are worthy of being consistent contributors. This will be the deepest the GRIZ have ever been in the paint, to my knowledge at least.

The GRIZ backcourt will be: Gaskin, Falls, Vasquez, Egun, Brown, Clarke, Beasley, and Whitney. That is 8 quality guards. We already know how terrific DeCuire led guards play. The GRIZ will truly be even deeper at guard than prior years.

I know, I left out a few names (Briceno and Jones). I see 15 players very solid quality, and even question if a few of the listed may leave, at least it's always a possibility. Even with a few players choosing to leave, I have no doubt, the GRIZ will have the talent and depth to comfortably do something DeCuire has never done, and always resisted doing. He can honestly put together a terrific game plan, going no less than 10 deep. I honestly hope, he considers 1 group that goes 25-30 minutes per game, and a 2nd group of 10-15 minutes per game.

Sounds to me, he actually will have the luxury of going 40 minutes of intense pressure and pushing the offense more. Don't get we wrong, I love how he works a 7 to 9 man rotation, but with this kind of depth, how can he not at least experiment with no less than 10 deep? This is something we have discussed a few times here. Yet, DeCuire has stuck with his 7 to 9 man rotations (depending on opponents and matchups).

I for one, would love to see this. I already know, Citay will give this a seal of approval. I hope he weighs in on this (minus his inner Bill Walton...haha). Thoughts, comments, etc?

Peter Jones has been absent from the bench for weeks. Has he packed it in?

He is no longer listed on the roster on gogriz

Just looked on GoGriz and #32 Peter Jones is still listed. Not sure what you were looking at.

Yeah, I looked again and saw it... don't know how I missed it earlier.

mtgrizrule said:

Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9"
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8"
Yagi 6'8"
Clarke 6'6"
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2"
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1"
Whitney 6'1"

I count 17. We know Brown is on academic. Is one of these guys NOT on scholarship?

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9"
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8"
Yagi 6'8"
Clarke 6'6"
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2"
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1"
Whitney 6'1"

I count 17. We know Brown is on academic. Is one of these guys NOT on scholarship?

Briceno is a walk on too, that leaves us at 15. Obviously some decisions will be made with numbers, and we probably won't be in a position to add a transfer this summer unless something a bit surprising happens.

Edit: spelling

DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9"
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8"
Yagi 6'8"
Clarke 6'6"
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2"
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1"
Whitney 6'1"

Briceno is a walk on too, that leaves us at 15. Obviously some decsions will be made with numbers, and we probably won't be in a postion to add a transfer this summer unless something a bit surprising happens.
Jones is not on scholarship.

GrizWhiz said:
DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9"
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8"
Yagi 6'8"
Clarke 6'6"
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2"
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1"
Whitney 6'1"

Briceno is a walk on too, that leaves us at 15. Obviously some decisions will be made with numbers, and we probably won't be in a position to add a transfer this summer unless something a bit surprising happens.

Oh yeah, missed him on there. So at 14 we actually have a little bit of flexibility, I would guess that we will have one scholarship to use this summer (this is assuming TDC is back, who the hell knows if he leaves).

DPGriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9"
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8"
Yagi 6'8"
Clarke 6'6"
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2"
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1"
Whitney 6'1"

Oh yeah, missed him on there. So at 14 we actually have a little bit of flexibility, I would guess that we will have one scholarship to use this summer (this is assuming TDC is back, who the hell knows if he leaves).
The men's team has thirteen scholarships. :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:
DPGriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
DPGriz said:

The men's team has thirteen scholarships. :thumb:

Yeah, I would bet on a couple of departures that leave us with a scholarship to fill before the start of next season.

Just reading the tea leaves from a far distance I would venture to say that you won't have to worry about Yagi when this season ends if not sooner....IMO he will be going the D2 or D3 route sooner than later.....

3 or 4 of these guys won’t be with the team next year.

I’m guessing Yagi and Egun for sure. No room for Anderson. The Aussies will probably red-shirt.

ordigger said:
3 or 4 of these guys won’t be with the team next year.

I’m guessing Yagi and Egun for sure. No room for Anderson. The Aussies will probably red-shirt.

Wrong about Anderson. He stays. Would hate to see Egun go. He's athletic, an exuberant team presence, and will improve. Just--such a logjam at guard next year.

AZGrizFan said:
Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9" RS
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8" GONE
Yagi 6'8" GONE
Clarke 6'6" RS
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2" GONE
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1" RS
Whitney 6'1" RS

Here's my guess next year:

Bannan and Clarke Red Shirt
Beasley & Whitney Red Shirt
Jones, Yagi & Freddy Brown are gone.

Big Man rotation of Steadman, Anderson, Henderson, Owens, DCH
Guard rotation of Gaskin, Vasquez, Falls, Egun

AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9" RS
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8" GONE
Yagi 6'8" GONE
Clarke 6'6" RS
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2" GONE
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1" RS
Whitney 6'1" RS

Don't see 4 guys redshirting, haven't done it much while Travis has been here. Though if Beasley has a knee issue as someone mentioned he'd be a likely candidate.

Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9" RS
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8" GONE
Yagi 6'8" GONE
Clarke 6'6" RS
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2" GONE
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1" RS
Whitney 6'1" RS

Don't see 4 guys redshirting, haven't done it much while Travis has been here. Though if Beasley has a knee issue as someone mentioned he'd be a likely candidate.

Well that's a quality 9-man rotation without those four. I guess if one of them flat out beats out one of these 9, or someone suffers an injury it could happen that they don't all RS...but why not if they're just going to sit the bench for a year otherwise?

AZGrizFan said:
Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Steadman 6'10"
Anderson 6'9"
Henderson 6'9"
Bannan 6'9" RS
Owens 6'8"
Jones 6'8" GONE
Yagi 6'8" GONE
Clarke 6'6" RS
DCH 6'5"
Gaskin 6'4"
Egun 6'4"
Briceno 6'4"
Vazquez 6'3"
Brown 6'2" GONE
Falls 6'2"
Beasley 6'1" RS
Whitney 6'1" RS

Well that's a quality 9-man rotation without those four. I guess if one of them flat out beats out one of these 9, or someone suffers an injury it could happen that they don't all RS...but why not if they're just going to sit the bench for a year otherwise?

Uh, that's 8 guys for the fall semester, not gonna work. We were already too thin this year, out of necessity/circumstance, we're not going to intentionally have an even thinner roster next year.

Even with 9 guys you still occasionally need a 10th or 11th guy to come in and buy you a few minutes every once in a while due to fouls or whatever, Yagi is doing it right now.

Back