• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Greats - the Coaching Tree podcast series

Colter_Nuanez56

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/1215389939543576576

More details to come but we have done all the interviews and I promise you they are awesome listens. Most fun I've ever had doing long-form interviews. If you love Griz basketball, check it out. And if you know someone who doesn't follow the program much, I bet they would follow after listening to the history of what is one of the most unique coaching trees in all of college basketball.

Pat Kennedy is a “Griz Great?” Otherwise a very impressive list and it should be interesting to hear from these coaches, looking forward to it.

DPGriz said:
Pat Kennedy is a “Griz Great?” Otherwise a very impressive list and it should be interesting to hear from these coaches, looking forward to it.

Yeah...I will be interested to see where you go with the Kennedy interview.

DPGriz said:

"Fat Pat" racked up the biggest phone bill in the history of the U of M and could eat more than any Griz coach. That has to count for something.

I know Judd Heathcote is dead and unavailable for a new interview, but he will always be the "Greatest Griz b-ball (and handball) coach" IMO and deserves mention somewhere for starting this coaching legacy.

Fun fact:Brandenberg (and Fat Pat) actually had a losing record at Montana and Holst was only one-game over .500.

1976-77 Griz team was 18-8 but had to forfeit 10 games due to the ineligible 6'11" player named Lee Johnson

Took over as the Montana head coach in 1976 when Heathcote left for Michigan State
Spent two years as head coach, going 28-26 including 10 wins in the 1976-77 season that were vacated to losses due to the use of ineligible player

Zirg said:
Brandenberg (and Fat Pat) actually had a losing record at Montana and Holst was only one-game over .500.

DPGriz said:

Well, Kennedy is the only coach not a part of the tree so we included him because that in itself is interesting. Kennedy's interview is very interesting, as are all of these interviews. We will start rolling them out later this week.

Just read 2009 previous posts on Holst, interesting to note in retrospect. I recall he brought the team to the "Big Dance", after that was let go for, Kennedy--who for the most part was a low point in coaching history of the Griz. Will be interesting to hear the casts!

Really looking forward to these. Excited to get learn more about the the coaches before my time of attending games, such as Brandenburg. Also really interested to hear what Kennedy has to say.

Always enjoy your interviews, Colter. The ones you did with the players and coaches last year were great. Learned a lot about the players. I think Akoh's was the most interesting to me. He was very personable and I loved hearing how he just dives in head first to whatever he is doing, and wherever he is doing it. For a California kid, he sure turned into a true Montanan, including going elk hunting.

"Brandy" sounds really good, and really-mentally-sharp and well-spoken in his 80's. I did not know that Jim was originally from Texas. I knew of his strong Denver-area-connections and assumed he had grown-up in that area. I also did not know that Jim's wife started the "Sugar Bears".

I enjoyed listening to the discussion yesterday. It was very interesting to hear Mike discuss "maturing" in Missoula. Montgomery was a very competent "General" at a time in NCAA basketball when there were several Dean Smith, Lute Olson, and Robert Knight-like dominant personalities. Similarly the BSC had Monson at Idaho and McCarthy at Weber.

I guess I'll have to login to Spotify for the first time in like half a decade. Thanks for taking the time to put these together! I'm excited to give them a listen

Colter, no mention of the show with Stew?! Kinda important considering his story about Bozeman. Everyone needs to listen to this one before Griz/Cat. He sounds a lot like Bobby, or maybe it's the other way around? If you all don't want to listen to the whole thing, his story about Bozeman State is probably in the last 10 minutes of the pod.

Sorry, still licking my wounds from the whipping I took on Bobcat Nation for posting a link in a pertinent thread :shock:

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1222606301940703232

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Sorry, still licking my wounds from the whipping I took on Bobcat Nation for posting a link in a pertinent thread :shock:

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1222606301940703232

ESC GGG

Good post Peaux !
That Stew Morrill story about Bozeman and Wayne Tinkle is a classic! That was the game when Tinks was preparing to shoot a free throw when a Bozeman student section person threw a Sprite / Squirt can at his feet. The resulting one-shot technical foul, plus the late-game Tinkle's steal of the inbound pass helped the Griz steal a win.

PeauxRouge said:
Colter, no mention of the show with Stew?! Kinda important considering his story about Bozeman. Everyone needs to listen to this one before Griz/Cat. He sounds a lot like Bobby, or maybe it's the other way around? If you all don't want to listen to the whole thing, his story about Bozeman State is probably in the last 10 minutes of the pod.

Back