• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Was Pluto that bad or??

grizbymarriage

DONOR
We could not get to the game the other night, so we attempted to stream it on Pluto. We used an iPad that is less than a year old with the Apple AirPlay device to a Samsung tv which is less than a year old. We have streamed lots of programming successfully with no real issues, including some other content from Pluto, but the basketball game the other night was a struggle - the picture was terrible at times, and it would freeze up every few minutes. When it was working, sometimes we had audio, sometimes we didn’t. Just wondering if anyone else had problems or if it was fine for others; I am just trying to separate any issues we might be having on our end from issues from the Pluto end. Thanks —

grizbymarriage said:
We could not get to the game the other night, so we attempted to stream it on Pluto. We used an iPad that is less than a year old with the Apple AirPlay device to a Samsung tv which is less than a year old. We have streamed lots of programming successfully with no real issues, including some other content from Pluto, but the basketball game the other night was a struggle - the picture was terrible at times, and it would freeze up every few minutes. When it was working, sometimes we had audio, sometimes we didn’t. Just wondering if anyone else had problems or if it was fine for others; I am just trying to separate any issues we might be having on our end from issues from the Pluto end. Thanks —

I didn't have those specific issues, but I was watching it through watch big sky which, even though they have the same stream, always seems to work better. When I use the pluto app, I always have more issues like you describe. So I would say that, yes, pluto is that bad.

grizbymarriage said:

Go in through the Big Sky app. It seems to work a lot better.

I live in Helena, and I was able to watch it on the SWX sports channel 199 on Spectrum. They've carried several Grizzly games this season and they do a good job. The odd thing is they don't seem to advertise the game so you just have to check to see if they are carrying the game.

So if you get Spectrum cable in Montana you may well get SWX.

For the most part, Pluto works fine for me. I use the Pluto App through Amazon Fire or Roku. It works on my computer too. I have Spectrum for my internet.

mtgrizrule said:
For the most part, Pluto works fine for me. I use the Pluto App through Amazon Fire or Roku. It works on my computer too. I have Spectrum for my internet.

I use Roku and the Pluto app. It is much better this year since I switched from CenturyLink to Spectrum as my internet provider. Watched Griz-Eastern Washington game on SWX and it was really good also.

AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
FWIW, I watched it via Pluto on my Kindle and had virtually no problem.

Same. First time ever I didn't have a single buffering issue.

My hunch is that viewership was significantly lower than usual, with the Monday game competing with the college football championship. That likely helped the bandwidth issue.

But I agree with those saying that using watchbigsky gets better results. It's just that there's no smart TV app for that, and it's a PITA to type the site into the TV's browser and find the game.

grizbymarriage said:
PLUTO for UM Lady Griz home games is generally much lower quality than PLUTO telecasts for other Bigsky games. Lady Griz home games, often hazy focus, vocals sometimes noisey. The last game was really weird, one telecaster's voice was super loud, the other's was really low. Another related observation: The Missoulian has not included PLUTO as a telecast for away games, when in fact they are broadcast. In all just glad to have any broadcast of Griz games! Thanks PLUTO!!

MTbest said:
grizbymarriage said:
PLUTO for UM Lady Griz home games is generally much lower quality than PLUTO telecasts for other Bigsky games. Lady Griz home games, often hazy focus, vocals sometimes noisey. The last game was really weird, one telecaster's voice was super loud, the other's was really low. Another related observation: The Missoulian has not included PLUTO as a telecast for away games, when in fact they are broadcast. In all just glad to have any broadcast of Griz games! Thanks PLUTO!!
I watched part of the Lady Griz vs Idaho game and I thought it was pretty good. Since I go to both mens and womens games at home, I wouldn't be able to compare the quality of the home games. I am going to be away for a couple of Lady Griz games, so may find out then.

Back