• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Derrick Carter-Hollinger BSC Player of the Week!

StumptownGriz

Not bad for a 17 year old :shock:

https://gogriz.com/news/2020/1/14/mens-basketball-carter-hollinger-tabbed-as-big-sky-player-of-the-week.aspx

AZGrizFan said:
Week 1: Pridgett
Week 2: Manuel
Week 3: DCH
Week 4: Falls? :)

Saw the game last night! Crowd of 3200, even with the FBS championship game on tv. DCH looks so confident in his shot. He’s shooting 62% from the floor right now. Not just slamming the ball either. He’s at 52% from behind the arc! He has a great nose for the ball. Timmy won’t get player of the week, unless they hand it out for defense! He was in Holland’s face all night, and was frustrating him, and making him force shots! Timmy’s passing is incredible! He sometimes gets stuck in the air, but his no look passes and behind the back shtick is fun to watch and fires up the team. This team is playing great, but is still figuring it out. Can’t wait to see where they are by the end of the year! Go Griz!

Terrific honor, especially for a true Freshman. Hard to believe, he just turned 18. Yet, at times he looks like a man among boys on the court.

As for Falls and his passing, it looks to me that he has turned down the no look frequency and difficulty. He seems to be using the behind the back and touch passes more though. I absolutely love watching what he will do with the ball, even his blunders are kind of fun, but frustrating. Speaking of passing, Pridgett has really upped this part of his game too. His touch passes and lobs/alley oops compare with Falls. He too has had a few no look and/or behind the back passes throughout this season. He just doesn't utilize them as often as Falls. It really looks to me, Sayeed is getting more comfortable as a facilitator/distributor. He and his teammates are now in sync with one another. Timmy and Sayeed are on the verge of having passing become 2nd nature to them. That is very difficult to find these days. The GRIZ have 2 guys who make it look easy.

I really am not surprised by Falls improvement. Ball handling, passing, and distribution have always looked to be the best part of his game. However, Sayeed's passing and distributing is more surprising to me. Going from a 3 level dominant scorer to being a prominent distributor is a difficult transition. Despite his early season turnover numbers, he has really made the transition well. Trust me on this, this part of his game is upping his pro stock. If he continues to improve and show consistency, it may be enough to get him some NBA looks. To what extent, I don't know. I thought for sure, that Oguine and Rorie would get more attention than they have. Then again, at their size, maybe they didn't and have yet to show they can be consistent ball distributors. Rorie certainly takes good care of the ball, but most his efforts lead to his scoring. Meanwhile, Timmy and Sayeed or beginning to show, they can set up their teammates well. I absolutely love players who have the ability to make their teammates better, by their ballhandling and passing. Then again, Magic Johnson and Bird are the players who got me fully interested in the NBA.

Back to DCH, the kid has a super high ceiling. He is beginning to show a versatile game, more suited toward his physical make up, which is a great sign. Imagine what he can do, if he does grow another 2 to 3 inches. At his age, that is still a possibility. Anyone know what his arm span is? He blocks a lot more shots than a lot of players his height. He also makes that look pretty easy. I'm elated in his progress and happy that big schools missed out on him. Great job DCH!!!!

The play where Mack kicked it to him high in the key and he took a couple dribbles before lobbing it back to Mack was beautiful and showed court awareness unusual in a guy as young as he is. His game is so effortless and smooth with a high RPM motor. The sky is the limit.

Both my wife & I agree that DCH kind of reminds us of the best player ever to wear a Griz jersey. Was drafted #4 in NBA draft.

Going way back, I thought Michael Ray was a totally different type of player. However, my memory is fading, but he reminds me of Derrick Pope.

Best UM freshman since? My fandom only goes back 10 years but what he is doing so far is probably better than what Jamar or Oguine did as freshman.

717s7e said:
Going way back, I thought Michael Ray was a totally different type of player. However, my memory is fading, but he reminds me of Derrick Pope.

I was surprised to find that they are both 6'5",but I foresee DCH becoming a dominating inside presence (as he grows?), ala Derrick Pope, which I agree is probably a more apt comparison.

DPGriz said:
Best UM freshman since? My fandom only goes back 10 years but what he is doing so far is probably better than what Jamar or Oguine did as freshman.

DCH is at 7.4ppg right now

Jamar avg 8.4 ppg as a frosh
Oguine avg 11 ppg as a frosh

other noteworthy frosh stats:
Cherry 8.3
Pritchett 8.1
Matt Martin 9.4
Criswell 15.1
Kane 11.5

Back