• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gavin Robertson vs Keith Thompson

Please, pound for pound there’s no question. Sure when a Mac Truck takes you out, you expect to not get up. When you get waylayed ass over teakettle by a Mini Cooper!? People gonna notice.

alabamagrizzly said:
Please, pound for pound there’s no question. Sure when a Mac Truck takes you out, you expect to not get up. When you get waylayed ass over teakettle by a Mini Cooper!? People gonna notice.
More pounds delivered by GR. But hardness of hit is all about closing speed - the last two steps (E=mvv).

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Thompson. Jimmy Wilson and colt Anderson were also harder hitters IMO.
Tim Hauck. The others are not on Madden's all-time team.

Thompson had a few of the biggest highlight hits in Griz history. His hit on Matt Cline of App St. made him a legend, but the consistent physical pounding that Gavin Robertson has been unleashing is absolutely brutal.

Fun debate for sure and Tim Hauck belongs at the top of the list for sure.

Would've been fun or scary to see what Keith Thompson could have done playing safety instead of Corner.

In the vacuum of Robertson vs Thompson, I gotta go with Keith Thompson. I think his best hit was from the SDSU comeback win. Their 230+ pound TE was killing the Griz until 185 pound Keith Thompson blew him up on a TE screen. The hit was perfectly timed, the TE couldn't even make the catch and then I believe was out for the rest of the game.

The good hits today usually result in a slow targeting booth evaluation these days. Kills the fun.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
In the vacuum of Robertson vs Thompson, I gotta go with Keith Thompson. I think his best hit was from the SDSU comeback win. Their 230+ pound TE was killing the Griz until 185 pound Keith Thompson blew him up on a TE screen. The hit was perfectly timed, the TE couldn't even make the catch and then I believe was out for the rest of the game.

And there would be a flag for that hit today...sad

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the APP ST hit on Matt Cline, the hit on the SDSU TE is all shoulder and Thompsons helmet is actually off to one side. 100% clean. (I did have to backtrack a while back on the Cline hit because he does lead with his helmet and would get flagged today)

SaskGriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the APP ST hit on Matt Cline, the hit on the SDSU TE is all shoulder and Thompsons helmet is actually off to one side. 100% clean. (I did have to backtrack a while back on the Cline hit because he does lead with his helmet and would get flagged today)

I'm pretty sure he popped him in the chest / stomach area too. Wasn't even a high shot.

I personally don't think we should have this discussion until the end of Robertson's time at Montana!

SaskGriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Not flagged for targeting, but for a hit on a defenseless receiver. They’ve been calling that a lot lately on otherwise clean hits

Back