• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

America's Game - Army Navy

I was part of the 8th and 20th Air Force for my service years. Always root for Army.

Go Army, beat Navy!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Wonder if Trump will show his face to get booooooood again.

Also...always been fascinated by submarine life. That has to be the weirdest experience. Wonder if Soldier has any info on submarine fun facts.

I couldnt do it, too claustrophobic.

All can youtube Trump at Army Navy game. I didn't hear any boos during the 2 videos I watched. Perhaps there are others. Not the place for boos IMO.

I don't know much about subs, but wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of their missile payload, that's for sure. Much respect to those who perform these duties for our Nation.

#beatnavy

BadlandsGrizFan said:

Also...always been fascinated by submarine life. That has to be the weirdest experience. Wonder if Soldier has any info on submarine fun facts.

America's Armed Forces personnel are professionals and we/they do not Boo our Commander in Chief!

reinell30 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

America's Armed Forces personnel are professionals and we/they do not Boo our Commander in Chief!
Academy students are cadets. I don't think they are actual members of the united states armed forces but they certainly would not have liberty to boo the president. But in this case they should anyway.. :)

Looks like no boos inside stadium at 2016 games.

"Protests outside and applause inside stadium greet Trump as he attends Army-Navy game:"

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article120169258.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article120169258.html

indian-outlaw said:
reinell30 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Academy students are cadets. I don't think they are actual members of the united states armed forces but they certainly would not have liberty to boo the president. But in this case they should anyway.. :)

Those at the Academy are on active duty. Fact.

SoldierGriz said:
indian-outlaw said:
reinell30 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I thought they had the opportunity to walk away? At least the first year or two.

indian-outlaw said:
SoldierGriz said:
indian-outlaw said:
reinell30 said:
I thought they had the opportunity to walk away? At least the first year or two.

They can. They are then discharged from Active Duty usually with general under honorable conditions, which is considered good service.

This is different from ROTC where cadets are not on active duty.

SoldierGriz said:
indian-outlaw said:
SoldierGriz said:
indian-outlaw said:

They can. They are then discharged from Active Duty usually with general under honorable conditions, which is considered good service.

Spent two years as an S-1. It was amazing how many PFCs we processed who were at one time scholarship cadets who erroneously thought they could simply walk away from their commitment.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SoldierGriz said:
indian-outlaw said:
SoldierGriz said:

Spent two years as an S-1. It was amazing how many PFCs we processed who were at one time scholarship cadets who erroneously thought they could simply walk away from their commitment.

It happens. Start day 1 of 3rd year...commitment locks in.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SoldierGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
Why do the games against the Air Force Academy not have the same cache?

Longevity, traditions of excellence, and timing are principal reasons. It will be the biggest game played next weekend. It stands alone for the Nation. Games against AF are full of cache by the academies...but not the general public.

Also, remember that the Air Farce was spun out of the Army Air Corp...point of order, by the way: the U.S. Army is also the world's largest Air Force AND Navy. You're welcome for that useless bit of trivia...

Mmmm....Largest Navy? I don’t think so.

reinell30 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Theyre fighting for the right to do so though if they wanted to.

SoldierGriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

All can youtube Trump at Army Navy game. I didn't hear any boos during the 2 videos I watched. Perhaps there are others. Not the place for boos IMO.

I don't know much about subs, but wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of their missile payload, that's for sure. Much respect to those who perform these duties for our Nation.

#beatnavy

Subs are pretty much considered the worlds most devastating piece of military are they not?

EverettGriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I had the honor and great opportunity to spend 3 days/nights on the USS Boise LA-Class fast attack submarine as a VIP a few years back. One of the most memorable events of my life. And I'll say this: 3 days were doable, but as someone else who is a little claustrophobic, I was ready to get the hell off by the time we docked in Florida. I cannot imagine doing some of the lengthy deployments.

There are no days or nights on subs, obviously, so your internal clock gets a little screwy. And there's certainly no privacy. Not everyone is cut out for sub duty, that's for sure.

That said, though, I left that experience with the absolute utmost respect for the men who served on her. Truly America's finest, and I was honored to have spent the time with them.

That would be an awesome experience. I think I could do three days.

Did the days seem like they lasted forever?

BadlandsGrizFan said:

80 Men go down, 40 couples come up.

Great Post SoldierGriz! I graduated from Annapolis and can tell you that the rivalry between Army and Navy is unique and like no other. From the moment you step onto the yard, beating Army becomes engrained in your life. Every corner you square from day one as a plebe you yell "Go Navy, sir" and the next corner you yell "Beat Army, sir". This pattern repeats itself continually so you can imagine in one year the amount of times you yell "Beat Army"!
The Army/Navy game itself is an amazing spectacle of pageantry and spirit. The players want nothing more than to win that game every year and destroy their rival but they also have the utmost respect for their opponent and know that we will all be serving together for the same purpose in the future.
I was at the Army/Navy game in 2001 after the 9/11 attacks and can tell you it was the most emotional and patriotic event I've ever witnessed in person. I would definitely recommend attending a game if you ever have a chance.
As they say, it’s the only game where everyone on the field is willing to die for everyone watching.
GO NAVY!!! BEAT ARMY!!!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Theyre fighting for the right to do so though if they wanted to.

Military just doesn't work quite that way...If military has something to complain about, it is done in a professional manner out of sight of the public. (Usually)

AZGrizFan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SoldierGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
Why do the games against the Air Force Academy not have the same cache?

Longevity, traditions of excellence, and timing are principal reasons. It will be the biggest game played next weekend. It stands alone for the Nation. Games against AF are full of cache by the academies...but not the general public.

Also, remember that the Air Farce was spun out of the Army Air Corp...point of order, by the way: the U.S. Army is also the world's largest Air Force AND Navy. You're welcome for that useless bit of trivia...

Mmmm....Largest Navy? I don’t think so.

It is true. We have in all probability ten times more RB-8s in our inventory than all of the Navy's boats combined. Check out Janes.

Back