• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beau Baldwin returning to the Big Sky

Htowngriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Dang...SLO gotta be a lot easier place to recruit to then Cheney.

Look out for Poly in a couple years.

Sure, but the difference in academic standards probably makes it a wash at best.

Idk man, people always say that, yet they find a way to get these teams filled. You could say the same thing for Stanford.

I’m thinking he will do well at Poly. Wish we would have neen able to hire Baldwin instead of Stitt.

What happened to “I’ll never coach another Big Sky team after Eastern”.

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
info said:
What happened to “I’ll never coach another Big Sky team after Eastern”.

Did he say that when he left? I don't remember that

I think he said that when there was speculation that maybe he was interviewing for the UM job opening in 2015.

Grizzlies1982 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
This has to be a SIGNIFICANT pay cut. I don’t know about Cal, but coordinators at Udub earn $1.3 a year.

Choate took a similar pay cut. but his incentives were different; lower cost of living, ties to the area etc. not sure what brought Baldwin back to the Big Sky, but all of the California schools now have excellent coaches. maybe they will leave the BSC on their own accord?

Choate didn’t leave a million dollar salary. He was an assistant to an assistant at UDub. He may have taken a pay cut coming to MSU but not a large one.

As to Baldwin, Cal hasn’t been rolling with him as coordinator. He is a very talented coach but may be on thin ice. He should do well at Poly (given some time).
Choate went from ~375K to ~175K when he went to Bozeman. Not sure if that's large or not.
Cal Poly may have a higher ceiling that EWU but it is a different animal when it comes to recruiting. I would assume that many athletes he is use to getting will not cut the mustard at CP. But the door will open for the higher academic achieving athlete to play in his system.

Was he about to get fired at Cal? I don't follow them, but know they weren't good this year.

Will be interesting to see how long it will take to get the personnel changed over from triple option.

grizpack said:
Was he about to get fired at Cal? I don't follow them, but know they weren't good this year.
7-5 at Cal will not get you fired. Especially with a win over arch rival Stanford.

grizpack said:

From what I was hearing weeks ago, he was going to be fired. He and Wilcox are friends but, a lot of people very unhappy with Cal's offense, and they were going to have to part ways. Getting a job though gives Wilcox the out to not have to let him go, but from what I heard, he was going to be gone one way or another after the season was over.

As for Poly, if Beau completely overhauls the offense immediately, man that's going to take some real tricky work with scholarships Gonna have to essentially take a lot of guys schollies away so they can give them to more WR's, QB's TE's and bigger OL. I'm sure they have plenty of running backs and maybe a few skill guys, but I don't think Poly has the OL to convert and I know they don't have enough WR's and basically, every QB on the roster is now not good enough. It will be interesting to see what they look like come next September in Missoula.

Just for reference:

Beau Baldwin
UC Berkeley
ASC HEAD COACH CRD 4
2018: $650,000
2017: $603,750

Timothy E Walsh
CSU San Luis Obispo
ADMINISTRATOR IV
$246,275.00
$240,882

Source: SacBee database.

Maybe a pay cut could be a good thing. Baldwin doesn't look like he's missed any meals in the last few years.

Well some good news about this.
The Griz do not have to prepare for the stinking triple option the week before they play Cal Poly

daGrizJ said:
Maybe a pay cut could be a good thing. Baldwin doesn't look like he's missed any meals in the last few years.

Too late. 1/4 of Baldwin's pay is contractually paid in In-N-Out Burger gift certificates. It's been that way since Zips in Cheney.

fltheadgriz said:
The Griz do not have to prepare for the stinking triple option the week before they play Cal Poly
How successful were we in preparing for a BB offense at EWU?

kemajic said:
fltheadgriz said:
How successful were we in preparing for a BB offense at EWU?

EWU score 32 or more points against the Griz in 7 of 10 games he coached. He was also 6-4 against the Griz.

Back