• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Updated Weber State Scouting Report

BWahlberg

DONOR
The Griz are up against a familiar foe in the Weber State Wildcats, who came in an lost to Montana in Wa Griz just over 3 weeks ago. This game will be a totally different setting though. Win and move on, lose and the season is over. Weber appears to be coming in a little more healthy this time, but maybe still missing a few playmakers.

It’s well worth pointing out that at times, for Montana, a post-season rematch doesn’t go the same way as regular season matchup. The Griz lost to Sam Houston in 2004 early in the season, and beat them in the playoffs. The Griz beat Cal Poly in Wa Griz in 2005, and then lost to them, again in Wa Griz in the first round. In 2008, Weber crushed Montana in the regular season, and then lost to us in the playoffs.

I believe it was shared with me that upon the announcing of the brackets Jay Hill addressed his team and told them if they win their first game, they get Montana again. Weber will be fired up and ready for redemption. I know this team and these coaches won’t assume that what they did last time will just work again this time, and I’d hope that the importance and urgency needed to prep for this game will be there.

I’m a little bummed it’s a Friday night, that’s a short week of prep for the Griz, but it is for Weber too. Fortunately the travel is quick.

I’m copying quite a bit of the prior re-cap here, I’ve updated the stat comparisons too.

Weber State Wildcats 10-3

0-6 loss @ San Diego State: Not a lot of offense in this game. SDSU had about 240 total yards while Weber had 154 total. The teams were a combined 8-35 on 3rd down. The score could have gone a little more in favor of SDSU though, Weber crossed mid-field once, and turned it over on downs. While SDSU had 3 trips into the Weber side of the field that resulted in either a turnover on downs, or a lost fumble, or the end of the game.

42-24 win vs Cal Poly: Weber just gradually pulled away from CPSLO. Weber had 275 rushing yards and held the potent Poly run game to just 164, while forcing two turnovers as well. Weber held the ball for nearly 22:00 of the final 30:00 of the game.

13-19 loss @ Nevada: Weber was up 10-9 at the half but then their offense went terribly stale with 6 of their last 7 possessions ending in punts, and just a handful of first downs total. While Nevada didn’t fare too much better they did enough to get the lead and hold on. It was a rough day in the office for the Weber offense, 62 rushing, 63 passing. While Nevada had 300 through the air. Nevada really hurt themselves int his game too, losing 3 turnovers.

29-17 win vs Northern Iowa: I think this was a game a lot of us followed, Weber stormed out to a 27-3 lead in the first half, and added a safety in the 2nd half to get to 29. UNI was able to get a little bit rolling, but not enough in the 2nd half. UNI out-gained Weber by about 100 yards total in the game. Per my math the Weber offense had -2 (yes, negative) yards in the 2nd half.

41-35 win at Idaho: Posted about this one in the Idaho report, it was a game where Weber would hold a 2 score lead, Idaho would get within 1 score, and Weber would respond to push it back to a 2 score. Idaho returned a kickoff for a TD with 1:00 to go in the game to set the final score. 35 points in the most Weber has allowed this season. Idaho had a balanced game, just about 200 rushing and 200 passing while Weber had yet another big day on the ground, 225 rushing.

29-14 win vs Southern Utah: Weber was a little sluggish to start, it was tied 7-7 at the half. But they got in gear later on, scoring 3 touchdowns (with a missed PAT and a failed 2 point attempt). SUU had 305 through the air and just 68 rushing, while Weber had 200 rushing and 140 passing. Why couldn’t SUU hang around in this game? 4 lost interceptions.

51-28 win vs Northern Arizona: Weber’s offense came alive and as the game went on they were unstoppable. This box score looks like a typical Montana game this year, Weber was down 21-14 at the half, and then would go on to out-score NAU 37-7 in the 2nd half. Weber had 440 yards RUSHING on the worst rush defense in the Big Sky, while NAU did have some success in the air, 359 passing.

36-20 win at UC Davis: In a game where I believe Weber was marked as the under dog they bucked their prior trend of giving up big passing days and held Davis to just 160 passing, while Weber passed for almost 285 themselves. Davis lost 3 turnovers and Weber held the ball for a whopping 42:00 minutes of clock time.

36-17 win at Sacramento State: While the Griz couldn’t come into Northern California and steal two wins, Weber sure could. Kevin Thompson got knocked out of the game, but at that point Weber was holding a 2-score lead anyways. It was a balanced game for Weber, 195 rushing, 177 passing and they held Sac to just 84 yards on the ground. It was another game where Weber had the ball by a large margin and forced 2 more turnovers on their opponent.

30-27 win vs North Dakota: Weber scored 10 points in essentially the last 2:50 of the game to win it, after Weber tied the game up they kicked off, and UND fumbled the ball, Weber recovers… and kicks the game winner shortly after. UND showed what’s probably needed to be in the game with Weber, they didn’t allow Weber to dominate TOP (Weber about 32:00 of TOP), UND was +2 on the game as well, and they had 299 yards passing.

16-35 loss at Montana – Think we know how this one unfolded. Weber scored 13 garbage time points to not make it look like as much of a blowout.

38-10 win vs Idaho State – Back at home Weber’s offense woke back up, scoring 31 before the half and cruising to an easy win. Weber passed for almost 290, and rushed for 150 – while ISU was held to 186 total yards of offense. Jake Constantine returned after a scary looking hit the week before to throw 4 TD passes.

26-20 win vs Kennesaw State – KSU was having a good first half, they were grinding out drives and limiting Weber’s attempts to get their offense going. At the half Kennesaw was up 17-12 as Weber kept having to settle for field goals. In the 3rd though Weber flipped the table, and scooped and scored on a fumble and took the lead. From there the Weber defense locked down the KSU triple option much better than they did in the first half. Kennesaw had a chance late, After Weber scored again, KSU finally answered, and then picked off Jake Constantine on the next possession, the pick was on their own side of the field though, and they couldn’t get back into scoring position. KSU had a few more possessions, but couldn’t get anything going. Weber had another good game in the air, 287 passing.

-------------
General Stats

Passing yards per game Montana (198 for WEB vs 305 for UM)
Rushing yards per game WEB (165 for WEB vs 148 for UM)
Total offense Montana (363 for WEB vs 453 for UM)
Passing yards allowed per game WEB (221 for WEB vs 295 for UM)
Rushing yards allowed per game WEB (121 for WEB vs 126 for UM)
Total defense WEB (342 for WEB vs 421 for UM)

No change from the prior report – while the numbers are all a little different, each team still holds the same categories as before. Weber gets 4 and Montana gets 2

Offense points scored Montana (29.7 for WEB vs 38.8 for UM)
Defense points allowed WEB (20.9 for WEB vs 25.7 for UM)
Turnover margin WEB – (+11 for WEB / +6 for Montana)
Fieldgoal % WEB (86% for WEB vs 77% for UM)
Punt Returns Montana (11.5 yards for WEB vs 14.7 yards for UM)
Kick Returns Montana (20.6 yards for WEB vs 23.5 yards for UM)
T.O.P. WEB (32:31 for WEB vs 29:13 for UM)
Red Zone defense (touchdowns) WEB (47% WEB / 62% UM)
Red Zone offense (touchdowns) Montana (60% WEB / 70% UM)
3rd down offense Montana – (37% for WEB / 47% for UM)
3rd down defense WEB – (31% allowed for WEB vs 36% allowed for UM)

No change here either! Some numbers have moved closer but no team overtakes any statistical category. Montana adds 5 while Weber adds 6. Total is Weber 10, Montana 7.

--------------------
Players to Watch:

#20 Josh Davis, RB: The 5-9, 195 pound running back was last years freshman of the year in the conference. He’s up to 1051 yards on the ground, 11 TDs rushing to go with 131 receiving. He played and had the difference-making TD against Kennesaw.

#22 Rashid Shaeed, WR: Came back for the Griz game, got hurt again and hasn’t played since I don’t think. He’s their main returner who’s missed a handful of games with injuries. He’s got 3 receiving TDs, the most of any WR on the team. His numbers alone on punts are solid, an average of 16.8 yards per return. He’s even got a rushing TD as well.

#8 Jake Constantine, QB: Since the Griz game he’s been the main guy at QB. He’s averaging about 198 yards per game and has 12 TDs to 10 INTs. Jenks hasn’t really played these last two weeks, so I’m going to assume Jake will be who we see. He has been quite a bit more effective passing the ball since the Griz game. Expect more from him than what we saw a few weeks ago.

#27 Kris Jackson, RB: This guy is a load, he’s 5-10, 235 and is built for this type of offense. While his total yardage on the year isn’t massive at 366 yards, he does have 10 rushing TDs. Watch for this guy on short-yardage plays and goal-line plays.

#4 Kevin Smith Jr, RB: Smith will play in the stead of Davis if he’s limited and will rotate a lot in as well anyways. He’s got 626 rushing yards and 2 TDs this season so far.

#3 Devin Cooley, WR: In the place of Shaeed he’s the main passing target, he’s got 691 yards and 5 TDs this season. He’s 6-1, 185. Since the Griz game he’s added 3 TDs and about 200 yards.

#19 David Ames, WR: This guy has posted back to back big games since the Griz game, he’s up to 620 yards and 3 TDs this season.

#94 Jonah Williams, DE: The co-defensive MVP with Dante. A 1st team all conference pick he’s got 54 tackles so far this season, and has 9 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles + 1 recovery. Dude’s a beast.

#13 Noah Vaea, LB: Vaea was the team leader in tackles the last time, he’s at 80 now, but another guy has 83. He’s got 6 TFLs, 1 sack, and 1 forced fumble.

#7 Preson Smith, S: 77 tackles and 5.5 TFLs so far… and 3 forced fumbles!

#53 Austin Tesch, LB: Another 1st team all conference guy, he’s got just 51 tackles this year, but 6.5 TFLs, 1 sack, and a few defended passes.

#35 Connor Mortensen, LB: Now the tackles leader on the team with 83, he’s got 9 TFLs as well.

-------------------------------

Keys to a Grizzly Victory

1. Positive turnover margin. This was my first point last time too. Weber’s turnover margin has decreased since the Griz game, but this is still such a key factor for the Griz to win this game on Friday. Making sure that Weber doesn’t get too many short fields will be vital. And making them pay for their own errors is a must.

2. Throw out the last game. The Griz had a near perfect start and it allowed them to build momentum. I’ll bet that Weber will be reminded of their early mistakes and be laser-focused on not making those mistakes again. Put all prior impressions aside and approach this as a fresh game.

3. Bend, don’t break. We know the pass defense will give up yards. If the Griz can tighten up as Weber crosses near the red zone and force field goals instead of allowing TDs that will help keep this game manageable.

4. Avoid 3rd and short on defense, don’t play into Weber’s skill.

5. Get Mitch and Jerry going. Weber’s going to remember what Toure did to them last time, and of course what Toure did yesterday too. If the rest of the passing attack can have big success against an iffy pass defense then the Griz should be able to keep things rolling.

6. Touchdowns vs field goals. Weber’s red zone defense is stout, but I’ve noticed that their numbers have softened even since we met. If the Griz can match Weber kicks with TDs then they’ll see the margin widen out as the game goes on.

7. Find some punt return magic again. We’ve not seen much from Jerry in a month, teams are punting to him again. In Ogden and in some conditions that could be conducive for a good return or two, it would be great to see Jerry get one in the house.

8. Keep Sneed clean. This was a prior post too. Weber’s DL is too good for Sneed to stay totally clean, but I assume they’ll be really attacking him to try to test him and force throws. The OL has to keep building on what they’ve been doing.

9. Hand out the punishments, again. The Griz surprised Weber with how physical they were the last time. This time Weber knows it’s coming, but the Griz have to keep at it. The physical nature of our defense needs to continue to be an imposing force.

10. Keep the defense as fresh as possible. Tough as the season wears on, Weber goes for clock control, we all know this. We’ll need a somewhat fresh front 6/7 in the 4th quarter.

11. Don’t forget what we’ve put on film. Weber should have some of the guys to hit us like the cats did on offense. I’d expect they’ll try to come at us with a more physical/tough ground game than they did before.

--------------

I put up a bracket of the post-season with full predictions and in that I picked Weber to win this game. Coming off the cat game and knowing that Weber, as soon as the brackets came out, wanted us in their house… I have a feeling that this season could meet it’s end this weekend.

And then, the Griz kicked some ass this weekend.

I don’t know what to think now. There’s a part of me that wants to stick with my pick and make the Griz prove me wrong again, which suddenly I think they might. On the other hand this is a short week and the Griz will have to plan for flying out too. Those aren’t the best factors.

The Griz have yet to play in a close game, it’s crazy. So I suppose it’ll go one way or another? Weber doesn’t really blow teams out, but I’d have to think they’re ready to have another shot at us. While if Montana can keep yesterday’s lighting in a bottle… no one will stop them. I could see a 14 to 17 point Griz win… or a Weber win that has a mix of a Sac/cats type of game. Where they just grind us into the dirt and just ride a wave of emotion to a comfortable win.

I’m hoping the Griz can keep things rolling, lets Go Griz!!

BWahlberg said:
#22 Rashid Shaeed, WR: Came back for the Griz game, got hurt again and hasn’t played since I don’t think. He’s their main returner who’s missed a handful of games with injuries. He’s got 3 receiving TDs, the most of any WR on the team. His numbers alone on punts are solid, an average of 16.8 yards per return. He’s even got a rushing TD as well.

Is #22 Rashid Shaeed hurt and out for the year ? That is what one Weber fan confirmed (other thread).

Proud Griz Man said:
BWahlberg said:

Is #22 Rashid Shaeed hurt and out for the year ? That is what one Weber fan confirmed (other thread).

Hadn't heard but a bummer if true - he's a stud.

Although their other two primary WRs have really stepped up these last two weeks, so maybe knowing they're without him has really injected some more urgency and confidence in them.

Brint, if you pick the Griz to lose during the POD than you all can do a #WhyBrintIsWrong on Twitter next weekend. 👍.

This is gonna be a really tough game I think. Hopefully, the Griz can nail down each of your keys to victory!

If Sneed can scramble again, I see the Griz blowing the lid off this one in large fashion. Like, fat Aunt Edna large.

If Sneed is limited to the pocket and Weber actually covers Toure, RTD waits another year.

My Aunt Edna made the best biscuits and gravy this side of the Clark Fork.

After reading the crap some of Weber's "fans" have posted on their board, I hope we beat their butts up and down the field. I would love to see us "run up the score" as much as possible. It would serve them right.

Da Boyz Mom said:
After reading the crap some of Weber's "fans" have posted on their board, I hope we beat their butts up and down the field. I would love to see us "run up the score" as much as possible. It would serve them right.

what crap?

Da Boyz Mom said:

+1
:clap:

Proud Griz Man said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

what crap?

Man up, Da Boyz Mom. There is only five Weber fans in the world and your upset about what? This is the palyoffs.

Here is the true scouting report. Weber made BH and the Griz think we suck by letting you kick our ass last time. Our long snapper is going to spot you 14 points then were going to BYU punch you all in the nuts!! Weber wins 70-14.

FYI if you are coming ot the game buy food outside the stadium. Or take your chance with the two foods trucks on the South end, and wait in line for an entire quater. It would be quicker to eat the snow from the mountain side then trying to get line for a drink.

NoName said:
Proud Griz Man said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

what crap?

Man up, Da Boyz Mom. There is only five Weber fans in the world and your upset about what? This is the palyoffs.

Here is the true scouting report. Weber made BH and the Griz think we suck by letting you kick our ass last time. Our long snapper is going to spot you 14 points then were going to BYU punch you all in the nuts!! Weber wins 70-14.

FYI if you are coming ot the game buy food outside the stadium. Or take your chance with the two foods trucks on the South end, and wait in line for an entire quater. It would be quicker to eat the snow from the mountain side then trying to get line for a drink.

Guessing it has something to do with this cry baby BS.
Gonna be fun to curb stomp you losers 2 times in a season.
LhUMHdk.jpg

Yes I was referring to the "Sellout the stadium" thread and also this from the kennesaw game thread:

"Speaking of the Griz, d-bag Hauck pours it on again (73 pts vs SE Louisiana. There's no need to run it up, especially in the playoffs. I hope karma takes a huge bite of his ass, the sooner the better. Got no respect for that."

"You're right, I didn't see any of the UM game, but you're incorrect that I hate Montana. I do hate a Hauck-coached Montana team. Hill can be a fan of whomever he wants, just as I can. I don't respect the type of student-athlete Hauck has historically built his teams with, nor do I respect coaches who run it up which I've noted several times over many seasons."

And this gem also:

"For the uninitiated, Here is a revealing read on Hauck and his model citizens in the rape capital of the west. I wouldn’t let my dog go to that university."

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 96319.html

I think they're just pissed because Bobby is back and Montana is good again. And - they don't seem to have any real rivals so they have to find ways to hate the Griz. Sad really.

As far as dirty play:

The running back was already on concussion protocol and they sent him in anyway. Are we not supposed to hit the running back, because Weber State chose to play him?

Rashid Shaheed was injured in a collision with his own teammate.

This is football. People get hurt. Dalton Sneed reinjured his ankle in the Weber game. We went to Bozeman and took a lickin. This is football.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Yes I was referring to the "Sellout the stadium" thread and also this from the kennesaw game thread:

"Speaking of the Griz, d-bag Hauck pours it on again (73 pts vs SE Louisiana. There's no need to run it up, especially in the playoffs. I hope karma takes a huge bite of his ass, the sooner the better. Got no respect for that."

"You're right, I didn't see any of the UM game, but you're incorrect that I hate Montana. I do hate a Hauck-coached Montana team. Hill can be a fan of whomever he wants, just as I can. I don't respect the type of student-athlete Hauck has historically built his teams with, nor do I respect coaches who run it up which I've noted several times over many seasons."

And this gem also:

"For the uninitiated, Here is a revealing read on Hauck and his model citizens in the rape capital of the west. I wouldn’t let my dog go to that university."

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 96319.html

I think they're just pissed because Bobby is back and Montana is good again. And - they don't seem to have any real rivals so they have to find ways to hate the Griz. Sad really.

...who is this guy..let's coach kids not to play...
...to drop pick 6's..don't tackle them in the end zone...
...73 happens..let me re-phrase that first line..fcuk this guy...

... :punch: ...

zengriz said:
...who is this guy..let's coach kids not to play...
...to drop pick 6's..don't tackle them in the end zone...
...73 happens..let me re-phrase that first line..fcuk this guy...

... :punch: ...

:clap: :lol:

SLA was down by 17 to Nova yet came back. They can score in bunches. Of course you are not letting up. The safety and pick 6 were backups. IMO, the Griz need to smash Weebs in the mouth and demoralize them again. Hill commented that they lost too many starters against the Griz, let’s see if they are soft.

Proud Griz Man said:
This will be an Entertaining week. I am really Not sure where they get the "dirty" accusation.
Like I said in another thread, some of their fans are still mad about Cody Balogh ending their senior DE Derek Johnson's career in our 2007 game. They got so mad their coach insinuated he was coached to do it, and their newspaper made a cartoon of Balogh taking money from Blackwater. :lol:

Good report update, Brint. Pretty much sums up the schizo feelings I have.
Mostly, I'm concerned that our O fails to get going. I'm not too worried about our D. Their QB has gotten better as the season has gone on, but I don't see them torching us for a huge number of scores through the air. I kinda think this is either gonna be a gut punch like Griz/Cat or the good guys win a close one. Not sure my blood pressure can take that.

Back