• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Upset Guesses – Playoff Round Two

Where is the upset?

• Nicholls (9-4) at #1 NDSU (12-0)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Illinois St (9-4) at #8 Central Arkansas (9-3)

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Northern Iowa (9-4) at #7 SDSU (8-4)

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Monmouth (11-2) at #2 JMU (10-1)

Votes: 17 27.0%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

Since my “policy” has been to avoid Big Sky games in this poll, having four seeded BSC team in (YAH!) kind of put a crimp in my usual approach. But I decided there was enough intrigue outside the Big Sky block to make it interesting. So here goes: What’s the one upset you think might happen?

One pick only, but you can change later.

Not surprised that no one has "taken a flyer" on Nichols over North Dakota State. I was surprised that Monmouth over James Madison was tied for most votes for awhile.

Illinois St beat Central Arkansas! I can see JMU not taking the Monmouth challenge seriously! Bahar and Guerrero are a handful! This could be a big upset! JMU was a 23 point favorite on Monday! Please excuse my previous post!

IdaGriz01 said:
Not surprised that no one has "taken a flyer" on Nichols over North Dakota State. I was surprised that Monmouth over James Madison was tied for most votes for awhile.
:cool:

kurtismichael said:
Illinois St. I want to pick Monmouth, but it’d be for selfish reasons.
The Monmouth upset has moved into second place.

And there's something to be said for that choice. While the Griz managed to keep Mr. Guerriero in check, a couple of other pretty good teams didn’t: He gained 107 yards against FBS Western Michigan and 134 against playoff participant Albany. He went well over 200 yards against four lesser opponents.

mtgrizfankb said:
UNI could easily beat SDSU but the upset we're all here for is Monmouth over JMU
Agreed on the Monmouth part; the other is less important. What we also need is for Kennesaw State to take down Weber. Then, when the Griz take care of business, they’ll be the high seed on this side of the bracket.

And don't sell either team short.

Monmouth has a (not so) secret weapon in Guerriero. JMU is tops in run defense, but Mr. G has gone off against good teams before. And the Hawks do have other weapons: The Griz shut Guerriero down, but their QB put up nearly 400 yards through the air.

And I have been as down on Kennesaw State as anyone this year. But they have gotten better and better as the season rolled along and their “reload” players gained experience. Wofford knows as much as any team about stopping the option … yet Murphy went off for over 200 yards against them.

At the risk of ruining my stellar reputation, I picked Nicholls State and am hoping we meet them in the chipper :D

The top vote-getter worked this time. Means the #7 and #8 seeds are gone. Suggests the committee didn't do all that bad.

Back