• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Irony of Ironies.

citygriz

If we've all detected one weakness in this year's team, it is the lack of a polished post presence. Sure, basketball is changing, becoming more "positionless," yet the absence of a skilled big is killing us.

But if you look back on Montana basketball, solid post play has always been a hallmark of Montana teams: Krysko; Tinkle; Engellant; Trammel; Kemfert; Samuelson; Covill; McBride; Vanek; Strait; Hasquet; Rosser; Qvale; Selvig; Breunig; Krslovic. (And I've probably forgotten some good ones in there.)

How we could use any of those guys this year!

Meantime, for many years, Montana's weakness was its lack of quickness in the backcourt. We'd make it to the Big Dance, only to get killed by quick speedy guards from the bigger conferences. I remember vividly watching us take on a much quicker Oregon team in Sacramento in 2002, and while Scooter Christiansen was in the game, we could keep pace with them. But the minute he came out for a rest, Oregon would be in full control.

Today? No way. During the entire DeCurie coaching reign, I'd match our guards up against anybody--and the best is just ahead, next year, when two three-star guards join the team.

But bigs?

As I say, irony of ironies.

citay said:
If we've all detected one weakness in this year's team, it is the lack of a polished post presence. Sure, basketball is changing, becoming more "positionless," yet the absence of a skilled big is killing us.

But if you look back on Montana basketball, solid post play has always been a hallmark of Montana teams: Krysko; Tinkle; Engellant; Trammel; Kemfert; Samuelson; Covill; McBride; Vanek; Strait; Hasquet; Rosser; Qvale; Selvig; Breunig; Krslovic. (And I've probably forgotten some good ones in there.)

How we could use any of those guys this year!

Meantime, for many years, Montana's weakness was its lack of quickness in the backcourt. We'd make it to the Big Dance, only to get killed by quick speedy guards from the bigger conferences. I remember vividly watching us take on a much quicker Oregon team in Sacramento in 2002, and while Scooter Christiansen was in the game, we could keep pace with them. But the minute he came out for a rest, Oregon would be in full control.

Today? No way. During the entire DeCurie coaching reign, I'd match our guards up against anybody--and the best is just ahead, next year, when two three-star guards join the team.

But bigs?

As I say, irony of ironies.

Well, we do have Michael Steadman next year.

How could you forget McKenzie(sp). Gave UCLA fits + a few others. One of the best games I ever saw.

griznhel said:
How could you forget McKenzie(sp). Gave UCLA fits + a few others. One of the best games I ever saw.
Agreed. Maybe the best game ever played by a Montana basketball team--certainly on the biggest stage against the most powerful opponent. And, yes, except for Krystkowiak, McKenzie may have been better than anybody else on my list.

citay said:
griznhel said:
Agreed. Maybe the best game ever played by a Montana basketball team--certainly on the biggest stage against the most powerful opponent. And, yes, except for Krystkowiak, McKenzie may have been better than anybody else on my list.

Do you think there is a replay of that game somehow ?

And pretty much all of them save a couple transfers like Breunig were projects whose game grew over time. They were not factors on O early in their careers with a couple exceptions. You have to be able to move your feet to play this defense and the recent big projects weren't able to do it. The demand for polished bigs with offensive skills out of high school is far greater than the supply. And at this point Missoula (or any Big Sky town) is not a preferred destination for individuals in this demographic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUv8PhzMBOE

Wooden's final season at the helm of the UCLA Bruins, Montana nearly knocked off the Bruins in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. After earning the program's first NCAA win with a victory over Utah State, Montana lost to UCLA 67-64. Erik Hays scored 32 points on 13-of-16 shooting with seven rebounds and six assists in the loss. UCLA went on to win its final NCAA Championship under Wooden, the program's 10th since 1964.

fanofzoo said:
citay said:
griznhel said:

Do you think there is a replay of that game somehow ?

SWXRightNow @SWXRightNow
57s
2H: 9:07 I The Cougs continue to keep their lead in the second half against the Vandals.

Tony Miller leads WSU with 13 pts!
SCORE: 60-41 WSU

grizindabox said:
SWXRightNow @SWXRightNow
57s
2H: 9:07 I The Cougs continue to keep their lead in the second half against the Vandals.

18 points with NO plays run for him. Just getting started!! Would’ve done that plus some on a nightly basis in the big sky. Idaho coach said “love how that Miller kid plays” after the game. Travis cut off his nose to spite his face on this one.

Millhoop said:
grizindabox said:
SWXRightNow @SWXRightNow
57s

18 points with NO plays run for him. Just getting started!! Would’ve done that plus some on a nightly basis in the big sky. Idaho coach said “love how that Miller kid plays” after the game. Travis cut off his nose to spite his face on this one.

Shit happens. For whatever reason, Miller wasn't buying in.

grizindabox said:
Millhoop said:
grizindabox said:
SWXRightNow @SWXRightNow
57s

Lol you shouldn’t speak on what you don’t know.

Millhoop said:
grizindabox said:
Millhoop said:
grizindabox said:
SWXRightNow @SWXRightNow
57s

Lol you shouldn’t speak on what you don’t know.

I guess you want to say he was "buying in"?

Just spitballing here, but maybe he meant that it was just ironic, but not necessarily the irony of ironies. Am I overthinking this?

Proud Griz Man said:
add a Derrick Pope

Maybe a little bit of a stretch to call a 6'4.5" forward a "post player," but I have to add:

Maybe my greatest Griz memory of all time was listening to the radio broadcast of the game in Moscow when Pope broke the backboard with one of his thunder dunks, the game was delayed for an hour or so while they cleaned up the mess and installed a new backboard, and the Griz knocked off top-20-ranked Idaho on the road. Damn, he was fun to watch!

AllWeatherFan said:
Just spitballing here, but maybe he meant that it was just ironic, but not necessarily the irony of ironies. Am I overthinking this?

I would like to see the plain English version of what was said/meant.

AllWeatherFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:
add a Derrick Pope

Maybe a little bit of a stretch to call a 6'4.5" forward a "post player," but I have to add:

Maybe my greatest Griz memory of all time was listening to the radio broadcast of the game in Moscow when Pope broke the backboard with one of his thunder dunks, the game was delayed for an hour or so while they cleaned up the mess and installed a new backboard, and the Griz knocked off top-20-ranked Idaho on the road. Damn, he was fun to watch!

Carter-Hollinger reminds me of DP a little. He kind of gets into a semi crouch when gathering himself for his jumpshot like Pope did. I remember trying to emulate Walt Frazier in my high school hoops days and he shot like that as did Cazzie Russel. An old school motion, combo set/jump shot.

Back