• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Warm-weather teams haven't fared well in Missoula during playoffs

EverettGriz said:
Raider said:
Only in Missoula.

:roll:

Raids, I know you hate these topics. And while I readily concede the cold issue may be overblown, and that there may be too many discussions about it, how do you explain the fact that every NFL analyst mentions weather’s role this time of year. (e.g. “It’s very difficult to go to Foxborough this time of year and get a win. Not only do you have to face the Patriots, but you have to deal with the elements”?

It’s ridiculous to suggest weather doesn’t play a role in football games.

Yes, of course weather can be a factor in all sporting events. I totally get that.

My annoyance (and why I make so many dickhead posts about it) is that it gets blown wayyyyyy out of proportion here. Missoula is obsessed with the weather. For shit sakes, the front page of the sports section has a huge bolded section titled “The Weather Factor”. Every time that guy interviews a Griz player, he asked the same stupid question about the weather. Don’t see that in the Bozeman Chronicle and their winters are a far worse than ours.

Everyone has to exaggerate the actual conditions, and the effect is has on the game. Go back 25 years and look at the Griz home record against all teams in the playoffs, and tell me there is a direct correlation to beating “warm weather teams” more than “cold weather teams”. There is none…..

Raider said:
EverettGriz said:
Raider said:
Only in Missoula.

Raids, I know you hate these topics. And while I readily concede the cold issue may be overblown, and that there may be too many discussions about it, how do you explain the fact that every NFL analyst mentions weather’s role this time of year. (e.g. “It’s very difficult to go to Foxborough this time of year and get a win. Not only do you have to face the Patriots, but you have to deal with the elements”?

Yes, of course weather can be a factor in all sporting events. I totally get that.

My annoyance (and why I make so many dickhead posts about it) is that it gets blown wayyyyyy out of proportion here. Missoula is obsessed with the weather. For shit sakes, the front page of the sports section has a huge bolded section titled “The Weather Factor”. Every time that guy interviews a Griz player, he asked the same stupid question about the weather. Don’t see that in the Bozeman Chronicle and their winters are a far worse than ours.

Everyone has to exaggerate the actual conditions, and the effect is has on the game. Go back 25 years and look at the Griz home record against all teams in the playoffs, and tell me there is a direct correlation to beating “warm weather teams” more than “cold weather teams”. There is none…..

Also have to factor in the loud factor, sound is much clearer and travels farther in very cold weather. Therefore when we have a very cold playoff game it also becomes a much louder playoff game, which is an additional hindrance on visiting teams.

Wahlberg has graphs and charts, I've seen them.

PlayerRep said:
My methodology would not include CP. I would include only south and southeast. Also Texas in south. And not big sky schools, who play in Griz stadium.

So, 2-15.

That being said, UM wins at home. Wonder what our home playoff percentage is?

The Griz are 29-7 at home in the playoffs all time (81%)
The Griz are 12-3 against "warm weather teams" at home in the playoffs (80%)

3 of the 7 all time home playoff losses have come to "warm weather teams"

Hmmm, doesn't quite fit the narrative, does it?

The only good thing about weather posts this time of year means that the Griz are still playing. Outside of that....dumb.

Raider said:
PlayerRep said:
My methodology would not include CP. I would include only south and southeast. Also Texas in south. And not big sky schools, who play in Griz stadium.

So, 2-15.

Ya think maybe the quality of the teams may have something to do with W/L :shock:

Except the Wofford, game, ya'll had a good team that year and just choked :thumb:

Raider said:
PlayerRep said:

So, 2-15.

Why do you always have to bring up facts?

Raider said:
PlayerRep said:

So, 2-15.

Is the narrative that it's impossible for warm weather teams to win here? Don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that here.

Can someone please sort this data by moon phase? It's kinda strange nobody seems concerned about the waxing gibbous. I don't think we've won a home playoff game with a WG moon since UNH in 2004.

Htowngriz said:
Raider said:
PlayerRep said:

So, 2-15.

Is the narrative that it's impossible for warm weather teams to win here? Don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that here.

Did you read the idiotic article that is being referenced, titled “The Weather Factor”?

It assets that “warm weather teams” are at some major disadvantage here, and haven’t performed well, when in FACT they have the exact same record here as any other team in the playoffs. Many other posters have jumped to the same conclusion, and I’m simply pointing out that is factually incorrect.

Fair enough?

MontanaJack2006 said:
Raider said:
PlayerRep said:

So, 2-15.

Why do you always have to bring up facts?

Cuz they tend not to go over very well here. ;)

Buttegrizzle said:
Good to see the actual stats. Going back to the beginning of WaGriz that was my recollection. People are fixated on the Coastal and Wofford games but no question playing in the north is tough on southern teams in December. It’s not just college kids; Lambeau and Buffalo’s New Era Field have wild advantage numbers verses southern teams in cold weather. By the same token it’s a lot to ask a Montana kid to play football in 85 degrees and 99 percent humidity.

Yeah man it def matters, hell Im from Eastern Montana and didnt enjoy playing in the really cold weather games. Ribs crack the same no matter where you're from lol.

Griz#64 said:
Did we not install some piping to cool the field? If so, could that heat the field? Dumb Question huh??

They did implement a "turf cooling system" a few years ago. It isn't pipes though. Instead of using all black rubber pieces in the turf, about half of them are now green. They don't absorb as much heat and the field is cooler. I will admit that it does cool the field a bit in hot weather but it's not a huge difference.

son-of-info said:
Yeah thought coastal put this one to bed years ago. Easily the coldest game I've ever been to and the Griz looked like the team that was unprepared. Talking about the cold, noise, elevation makes it sound like we cant win this one without help (spoiler alert, we can and we will).

One exception doesn't put anything to rest. It just shows that weather is not always the or a deciding factor. But everyone already knew that. On the other hand, that was extreme weather. One would have thought it would have made a huge difference. I attribute the cold not being a factor to the preparation by Coastal's very good coach. My guess is that most southern teams would have been beaten by the Griz, and the weather, that day.

Raider said:
EverettGriz said:
Raider said:
Only in Missoula.

Regarding your last para, there is probably some truth to that. However, before Wofford, UM had beaten every southern/Texas team in the playoffs in Griz stadium. It had not beaten every non-southern team in the playoffs in Missoula. Western Illinois, DE, ?

Again, CP is not a southern team, or even a warm-weather team, in my view. They play up north late in the season from time to time.

Raider said:
PlayerRep said:

So, 2-15.

Again, I don't include CP in this analysis.

So, I would say that UM 29-7 all-time, has lost 2 of 6 to southern teams, and that both of those losses were unusual opponents, especially Wofford. Coastal seemed to be extremely well-coached and prepared. They played their best game of the season, according to my college teammate who was the team doctor on the trip with Coastal.

But I can see your point. In fact, I was the one who asked that question initially.

It is just a fact that cold/extreme weather is an important factor in this type of situation. That doesn't mean that it's a deciding factor. Maybe Coastal would have beaten UM by 30 in normal weather.

Raider said:
Htowngriz said:
Raider said:
PlayerRep said:

So, 2-15.

Did you read the idiotic article that is being referenced, titled “The Weather Factor”?

It assets that “warm weather teams” are at some major disadvantage here, and haven’t performed well, when in FACT they have the exact same record here as any other team in the playoffs. Many other posters have jumped to the same conclusion, and I’m simply pointing out that is factually incorrect.

Fair enough?

Do you think true warm weather teams are not at a disadvantage at UM in the cold/bad weather?

Do you think UM would have beaten App St in good weather in that 3d round playoff game? I don't.

More relevant, what's the record when the Griz are favored (most home games)?

What about when the Griz are the underdog (all away games and some 1st round games where UM just outbid the other unseeded team)?

DoubleNicks said:
Is NDSU's home playoff record because of the Fargo weather or because they were always the better team?

I can't tell if you are being serious here or not?

Back