• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2020 Roster - Looks Very Strong

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Someone posted about our 2020 schedule and it got me thinking about the roster and our key losses as well as key returners. We definitely lose some studs, but we return a wealth full of starters, key contributors, and up and comers. I’ve got to admit it even surprised me:

* indicates starter or key contributor

QB:
Dalton Sneed*

Return: Humphrey*, JUCO Robbie Patterson, Kris Brown, Carson Rostad

WR:
JLM*

Return: Akem*, Toure*, Sulser*, Flowers*, Roberts*, White, Jesse Owens, Ryan Simpson

RB:
None

Return: Knight*, Ostmo*, Turner, Janacarro, Graves?, Ryan Arnston, Eastwood

TE:
Colin Bingham*

Return: Deming*, Elwell*, Grossman, Rensvold*

OL:
Cy Sirmon*
Angel Villanueva*
Eickmeyer
Longoria

Return: Beaver*, Cook*, Mallory*, Andersen*, Ganoung*, Keintz*, Kanouse*, Martin*, Pillans*

DL/DE:
Jesse Sims*
Ryder Rice*
Faatuiese

Return: Gubner*, Alford*, Deming*, Babros*, Mamula*, McGourin*, Brown, Hurlburt, Poetzl, Nelson

LB:
Dante Olson*

Return: Lewis*, Welnel*, O’Connell*, Vinyard, Kale Edwards, Braxton Hill, Vaohea, Nagler

Safety:
Josh Sandry*

Return: Robertson*, Hauck*, Mcginnis*, Fouch*, Crow*,Jackson Pepe, Ryder Meyer

DB:
Justin Calhoun*
Kadeem Hemphill

Return: Nash*, Egbo, Tolliver, Walker*, Gradney

Special Teams:
Kenyan Foster
Kobe Eaton

K/P:
Adam Wilson*

Return: Purdy*, Buschini, Peppenger

As I see it, our biggest losses are:

Sneed
Olson
Sims
Villanueva
Bingham
Cirmon
Sandry
Calhoun
JLM
Wilson

With that being said, it’s incredible how many young players have started or contributed and played a great deal already for this team.

In the skilled positions, all of the running backs return as well as our main core of wide receivers and tight ends. On the O line we rotated so many guys that we have a bunch of players coming back who have played a ton. Same with the D line really. Our depth at safety is almost embarrassing. We have some exciting up and comers who are already making waves in Jesse Owens who was the offensive scout team player of the year, Kale Edwards who was the defensive scout team player of the year and Trevin Gradney who is going to be a special CB.

I think this machine is just getting started. If we can beef up a couple of areas in recruiting we should be a damn fine football team for a long stretch.

grizcountry420 said:
QB and O-Line is our biggest question mark going into next season.. Im not sold on Humphrey.

Our O line took a big step forward this year there is no doubt. I actually see it taking as big of a step forward again next year with the amount of guys who have already played and the young guys coming up.

I would love to see some CB's added. Transfer/Drop Downs and a couple 3 star kids like Corbin Walker that we can RS. I know we are deep at safety but I would LOVE to see Trevin Gradney move to that position. Our current safties struggle in pass coverage and he would shore that area up immediately in addition to Fouch who looks to be a rangy cover guy.

I hope we go after cornerbacks real strong this year and next year. Seems to be weakest position on team. Then some big and athletic d lineman. That's my wish but as you all know it is the 2 hardest positions to recruit for especially at the FCS level. But if we could shore up those two spots the rest of the positions look pretty solid with good depth.

HookedonGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
QB and O-Line is our biggest question mark going into next season.. Im not sold on Humphrey.

Our O line took a big step forward this year there is no doubt. I actually see it taking as big of a step forward again next year with the amount of guys who have already played and the young guys coming up.

I agree, our O line has made a huge step forward this year. I hope you are right.

grizcountry420 said:
I have a feeling the coaching staff is really hoping Jacob Eason sticks around at UW for another season.

Here are some guys listed that you did not mention curious to know if you think these guys will be back or where they will play:
Danny Burton WR
Nick Germer WR
Jace Dewalt WR
Elias Dewaters RB
Trase Letexier RB
Colton Curry TE
Noah Ambuehl TE
Zane Whiting TE
Dillon Botner OL will be remain at OL being only 224 LBS?
Collin Dreis OL will he remain at OL being only 228 LBS?
Gerrit Bloemendaal OL
Trevor Welnel OL
Conor Quick OL Quick and Martin are the only 2 centers we have on the roster can he become the starter?
Dumitru Salagor OL
Cole Rosling DT
Michael Matthews LB
Ryan Tirrell LB
Caine Fitiausi-Fung LB no longer listed on roster but all his social media says Montana football.
Graves LB I think Graves ends up being a LB but you never know.
Marcus Hee S
Max Feight S
Jace Schneider S
David Koppang S
Nick Guerena S

grizfan1984 said:
Here are some guys listed that you did not mention curious to know if you think these guys will be back or where they will play:
Danny Burton WR
Nick Germer WR
Jace Dewalt WR
Elias Dewaters RB
Trase Letexier RB
Colton Curry TE
Noah Ambuehl TE
Zane Whiting TE
Gerrit Bloemendaal OL
Trevor Welnel OL
Conor Quick OL Quick and Martin are the only 2 centers we have on the roster can he become the starter?
Dumitru Salagor OL
Cole Rosling DT
Michael Matthews LB
Ryan Tirrell LB
Caine Fitiausi-Fung LB no longer listed on roster but all his social media says Montana football.
Marcus Hee S
Max Feight S
Jace Schneider S
David Koppang S
Nick Guerena S

I think some of these guys will definitely make some noise and start to make a name for themselves as well. My original post and list of players were mainly the known starters or contributors or up and comers who are already making a splash ( which is a large list with tons of kids already contributing.... the main point of my post). That’s not to say some of these guys cannot come out of the blue and do the same thing....think Patrick O’Connell this year.

grizcountry420 said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

I agree, our O line has made a huge step forward this year. I hope you are right.

2018 (11 game schedule) vs 2019 (12 game schedule)

Rushing First Downs: 82 - 98
Total Rushing Yards: 1806 - 1802
Avg Per Carry: 4.9 - 4.1
Avg Per Game: 164.2 - 150.2
Rushing TD's 20 - 30
3rd Down Conversion 40% - 47%
4th Down Conversion 45% - 44%
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

SaskGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

Whoa! Crazy.. The way this looks, we didnt improve very much from 2018. Almost a wash..

grizcountry420 said:
SaskGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
HookedonGriz said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

Whoa! Crazy.. The way this looks, we didnt improve very much from 2018. Almost a wash..

6-5 (2018) vs 9-3(2019)

Yukon said:
grizcountry420 said:
SaskGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

6-5 (2018) vs 9-3(2019)

well yeah, we improved our record and what not from last year but there's still a bunch of work that needs to be done with the O-Line

grizfan1984 said:
Danny Burton WR
Nick Germer WR
Jace Dewalt WR
Elias Dewaters RB
Trase Letexier RB
Colton Curry TE
Noah Ambuehl TE
Zane Whiting TE
Gerrit Bloemendaal OL
Trevor Welnel OL
Dumitru Salagor OL
Cole Rosling DT
Michael Matthews LB
Ryan Tirrell LB
Marcus Hee S
Max Feight S
Jace Schneider S
David Koppang S
Nick Guerena S

One of the biggest impact players here is Welnel who should replace Dante. I think he is going to be a great player as well. Michael Matthews has been a special teams ace so I expect him to be a big contributor as well. Look for another special teams ace in Garrett Graves to make a big impact somewhere on the field. Connor Quick should be the backup or push for starting time at center. Don't know anything else about any of the redshirts listed here. From what I hear, Tirrell could be a great up and coming player but there will be some depth and seniority at linebacker.

grizcountry420 said:
SaskGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
HookedonGriz said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

I think you're forgetting the fact that Sneed was our leading rusher last year, and we sure as hell didn't have an RB run for 21 TDs.

Htowngriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
SaskGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

I think you're forgetting the fact that Sneed was our leading rusher last year, and we sure as hell didn't have an RB run for 21 TDs.
Eastwood scored 9 TDs and Sneed scored 6 in 2018.

The entire team scored 20 rushing TDs last season.

We're at 30 this season.

Htowngriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
SaskGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

Yep this is an apples to oranges comparison as we had a much different, and way tougher, schedule this year as well. The O Line was way improved, it was very easy to see and notice. We couldn’t punch the ball in from inside the 5 to save our lives last year, now you just say here Marcus.

SaskGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizcountry420 said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32
No comparison in the two schedules; 2019 far more difficult, including Oregon.

grizcountry420 said:
Yukon said:
grizcountry420 said:
SaskGriz said:

Rushing TD's 20 - 30
Sacks Allowed 25 - 32

6-5 (2018) vs 9-3(2019)

well yeah, we improved our record and what not from last year but there's still a bunch of work that needs to be done with the O-Line

I agree.

Back