• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Looking Ahead 2020

kemajic

DONOR
Next year's is the opposite of this year's difficult schedule. Should be no problem starting 4-0. EWU on the road will be tough, have SacSt at home and soft conf games leading up to MSU. Poor SOS.

https://gogriz.com/sports/football/schedule/2020

Never like to throw too much sunshine around early but there's no reason we shouldn't win 9 or 10 games looking at that schedule, only a couple games really stand out as roadblocks.

CWU and Moorhead State? Guess the Athletic Department wanted some extra cushion in the coffers next year. Montana will have to have a strong record for the playoffs next year with that lineup

It's tough to say definitively this early, because for all we know, our starting QB may not be on the roster right now (for the record, Cole Bergquist is the only non-FBS QB to start a season as the starter under Bobby Hauck, although I'm counting Roper, even though he split time with Selle. Although I do suppose Humphrey is also technically an FBS dropdown). Lots could change between now and next August.

First 3 games should be a cakewalk. For those complaining about the D2 school, CWU is decent, and the last three times we've gone to the Semis or better, we played a D2 school each of those years. It's not that big of a deal.

Cal Poly will have a new coach, and with the athletes they have, it'll be interesting to see where they land. Maybe next year's Sac State? No idea. Probably not, though, especially at home.

We haven't won @ Eastern since they put that stupid field in, and it'll be interesting now that most of Baldwin's recruits are gone to see how they do. That should be a tough one.

Sac will get Thomson and Dotson back, which will be tough, but they lose Obinna and Choates, which are the heart and soul of their defense. We're at home, and we may be getting back to our old ways of having very few home losses. I like our chances.

Idaho, SUU, UNC, and NAU should all be pretty easy games, unless those teams make HUGE strides.

I am convinced we will lose to Choate and MSU until we actually beat them, even if we're undefeated and they're going into the game at 0-10.

Honestly, anything less than 9-2 might be a bit of a disappointing season.

11-0 is not out of the question, assuming we can figure out our bobcat problem.

putter said:
CWU and Moorhead State? Guess the Athletic Department wanted some extra cushion in the coffers next year. Montana will have to have a strong record for the playoffs next year with that lineup

8 wins = playoffs

putter said:

bobby's preferred schedule coming online, look forward to a DII every year from here on

The.Real.2506 said:
putter said:

bobby's preferred schedule coming online, look forward to a DII every year from here on
MSU lost their last game with CWU 31-16 in Bozeman.

Not factual. AD makes the schedule, and $$ drives the planning. Another Annoying 2506 day at eGriz.

The.Real.2506 said:
putter said:

putter said:
Agreed. However, I will point out that Morehead State is a D-I opponent. From the crappy Pioneer League, but still FCS.

putter said:

many are hoping that the MVC and BSC can negotiate an agreement to resume non-conference games

IdaGriz01 said:
putter said:
Agreed. However, I will point out that Morehead State is a D-I opponent. From the crappy Pioneer League, but still FCS.

True, that does help. Especially for the playoffs

uofmman1122 said:
It's tough to say definitively this early, because for all we know, our starting QB may not be on the roster right now (for the record, Cole Bergquist is the only non-FBS QB to start a season as the starter under Bobby Hauck, although I'm counting Roper, even though he split time with Selle. Although I do suppose Humphrey is also technically an FBS dropdown).

That is just a weird, weird stat. Went back and looked at the 2009 season...very strange, the QB rotation. I don’t remember Roper playing that much, but I guess that’s just me.

The.Real.2506 said:
putter said:

UMM Nope. Not even close. They tried to make a home-and-home with several FCS teams, but, they all wanted Griz at their place first. JUST LIKE MSU, Griz are not gonna play five home games. EVER. Unlike MSU, the Griz also are going to continue to NOT play an FBS every year. Non-Con schedules are done through 2025 and Central is the ONLy DII on it. Nice try though.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
It's tough to say definitively this early, because for all we know, our starting QB may not be on the roster right now (for the record, Cole Bergquist is the only non-FBS QB to start a season as the starter under Bobby Hauck, although I'm counting Roper, even though he split time with Selle. Although I do suppose Humphrey is also technically an FBS dropdown).

That is just a weird, weird stat. Went back and looked at the 2009 season...very strange, the QB rotation. I don’t remember Roper playing that much, but I guess that’s just me.
Right? At the time, it didn't seem all that weird, but if you think about it, Bobby always had a drop down QB.

2003 Ochs
2004 Ochs
2005 Washington
2006 Swogger
2007 *No* (Bergquist)
2008 *No* (Bergquist)
2009 Roper* (ish)

And then it totally fell off after that.

2010 *No* (Selle)
2011 *No* (Johnson)
2012 *No* (McKinney)
2013 *No* (Johnson)
2014 *No* (Johnson)
2015 *No* (Gustafson)
2016 *No* (Gustafson)
It wasn't until Reese Phillips in 2017 that we had a drop down starter again for week one.

As for Roper playing, he split a lot up until the Weber State game (8th game on the schedule). Selle had 136 attempts over that span to Roper's 75. For comparison, the year before, Bergquist threw it 165 times through his first 7 games. (For another bonkers comparison, we threw it 291 times in our first seven games this season. And, just in case you're wondering, the 1995 team threw it 386 times in their first 7 games :lol: )

What were we talking about, again?

Really not a fan of the CWU game, other then that should be a schedule we can get back into playoffs with.

D2 games are going to happen every few years. We’ve talked about this over and over. It’s not always that easy to schedule games out west. And the university/athletic department/town makes a ton of money on these games.

Back