• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Warm-weather teams haven't fared well in Missoula during playoffs

PlayerRep

"[Warm weather teams] are just 3-15 in the playoffs in Missoula, with all those games coming in Wa-Griz."

[No warm-weather passing team has won in playoffs in Missoula.]

"The weather forecast for Saturday’s game, as of Tuesday night, predicted temperatures in the mid-to-high 30s with the potential for a rain/snow mix. When Hauck was told there might be snow, he said: “That would be great.”

[Looks like Hauck thinks weather can be a factor.]

"This year's Griz have been smartly wearing sleeves for weeks and not trying to play mind games by displaying some form of toughness."

"All three losses were against run-heavy opponents, a style suited for the cold weather. Cal Poly out-rushed Montana, 293-94, Wofford had a 333-114 edge and Coastal Carolina ran for 274 yards to UM’s 169."

https://ravallirepublic.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/article_d27079a1-b2c1-586f-a8cd-368d91f943a0.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Good to see the actual stats. Going back to the beginning of WaGriz that was my recollection. People are fixated on the Coastal and Wofford games but no question playing in the north is tough on southern teams in December. It’s not just college kids; Lambeau and Buffalo’s New Era Field have wild advantage numbers verses southern teams in cold weather. By the same token it’s a lot to ask a Montana kid to play football in 85 degrees and 99 percent humidity.

Buttegrizzle said:
Good to see the actual stats. Going back to the beginning of WaGriz that was my recollection. People are fixated on the Coastal and Wofford games but no question playing in the north is tough on southern teams in December. It’s not just college kids; Lambeau and Buffalo’s New Era Field have wild advantage numbers verses southern teams in cold weather. By the same token it’s a lot to ask a Montana kid to play football in 85 degrees and 99 percent humidity.

The coastal game was our only damn fault. Players trying to act “tough“ by not wearing anything to protect them from the weather, just plain dumb. Don’t know what the temperature is supposed to be like Saturday but I hope our players dress accordingly.

I wonder if having natural grass in the past also was a factor. Dormant, frozen grass is not nice to southern teams. This new turf is an equalizer as it is in good condition no matter the weather.

While I definitely think weather is a legitimate factor (sorry Raids), truth be told, cold weather teams haven’t had a lot of success in playoff games at WaGriz either. Because no one has. Montana’s playoff record at home is staggering.

EverettGriz said:
While I definitely think weather is a legitimate factor (sorry Raids), truth be told, cold weather teams haven’t had a lot of success in playoff games at WaGriz either. Because no one has. Montana’s playoff record at home is staggering.

True.
and,
HELL YEAH!

putter said:
I wonder if having natural grass in the past also was a factor. Dormant, frozen grass is not nice to southern teams. This new turf is an equalizer as it is in good condition no matter the weather.

Good point.

My methodology would not include CP. I would include only south and southeast. Also Texas in south. And not big sky schools, who play in Griz stadium.

So, 2-15.

That being said, UM wins at home. Wonder what our home playoff percentage is?

Fahque said:
Buttegrizzle said:

The coastal game was our only damn fault. Players trying to act “tough“ by not wearing anything to protect them from the weather, just plain dumb. Don’t know what the temperature is supposed to be like Saturday but I hope our players dress accordingly.

Coastal scored 35 in first half, including 6 minutes of second quarter. Only 7 in 2d half. Griz scored 21 in 2d half.

How did Griz clothing affect the game and Griz?

Did we not install some piping to cool the field? If so, could that heat the field? Dumb Question huh??

EverettGriz said:

#1!

Our home field advantage is huge since WaGriz has been built.

Raider said:
Only in Missoula.

:roll:

Raids, I know you hate these topics. And while I readily concede the cold issue may be overblown, and that there may be too many discussions about it, how do you explain the fact that every NFL analyst mentions weather’s role this time of year. (e.g. “It’s very difficult to go to Foxborough this time of year and get a win. Not only do you have to face the Patriots, but you have to deal with the elements”?

It’s ridiculous to suggest weather doesn’t play a role in football games.

Yeah thought coastal put this one to bed years ago. Easily the coldest game I've ever been to and the Griz looked like the team that was unprepared. Talking about the cold, noise, elevation makes it sound like we cant win this one without help (spoiler alert, we can and we will).

Back