• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana Northern @ Griz

Pridget is a man amongst boys. The crowd is getting older. The student section is awful. No students, no passion

Big Sage said:
Pridget is a man amongst boys. The crowd is getting older. The student section is awful. No students, no passion
Actually in Decuires time as head coach, student attendance (and overall attendance) is the highest it’s been for a very long time. And I would know because I interned for the Griz marketing department last year and saw the stats and analytics. I don’t think you’re gonna draw much of a crowd on a Sunday afternoon when you’re playing an NAIA team when everybody wants to watch football. Not to mention tomorrow’s Veterans Day so there’s no class and nobody’s around. That was part of the issue for football yesterday too.

CleanHOUSE said:
I thought maybe Brown was going to be involved. Is he hurt or is he just a end of bench marginal talent guy...Jones is already that guy so it would be weird to have two of them.
Brown was not dressed for the game. Only eight Griz dressed. After Falls was hurt, they were down to seven.

Griz til I die said:
Big Sage said:
Actually in Decuires time as head coach, student attendance (and overall attendance) is the highest it’s been for a very long time. And I would know because I interned for the Griz marketing department last year and saw the stats and analytics. I don’t think you’re gonna draw much of a crowd on a Sunday afternoon when you’re playing an NAIA team when everybody wants to watch football. Not to mention tomorrow’s Veterans Day so there’s no class and nobody’s around. That was part of the issue for football yesterday too.
I think there’s more than 23 students left in town

Big Sage said:
Griz til I die said:
Big Sage said:
I think there’s more than 23 students left in town
Again, we were playing Northern, not a big sky team.

GrizLA said:
The good news is Arkansas is picked 11th in SEC. The bad news is that Stanford is picked 11th in PAC12...Looks like UM is looking to next year and this year is rebuilding.

Lol. You’re ready to make that announcement two games in? :lol: :lol:

Just back from the game. Here are a few observations.

• Overheard, post-game: Speculation that the team might be considering redshirt status for Freddy Brown III. The injuries to Falls & Samuelson meant they both missed most of pre-season practice, so my thoughts are that they'll need time to get into competition shape.
• MSU Northern is currently nationally ranked at 19th in NAIA D1 Men's basketball. Some predict them to win Frontier Conference, while others favor Providence (of Great Falls), which is ranked 12th nationally.
• Freshmen (Egun is a RS frosh) played 100 of the 200 minutes logged oncourt by Montana players. At times, all played like freshmen, especially on offense, but I was impressed with the potential on court. Vazquez is remarkably mature and composed, considering he played the point for 35 minutes, committing only 2 turnovers. Owens and Carter-Hollinger are currently getting adjusted to the physicality of college hoops; they're going to be fine. Both are good shooters. DJ has a very good fallaway fader-hook shot, Owens has very good range. Egun seems to be forcing things, particularly on offense (shot 0-5), but played intense defense.
• Anderson played very tight (appeared to be frustrated with himself at times), but rebounded well & had a very solid second half, particularly on defense. He runs the floor very well & had a power fastbreak slam off of a nice feed from Manuel.
• Northern capitalized early on high post rub screens that allowed guards to penetrate & kick for some lights-out perimeter shooting. It didn't take long for the Griz to adjust. In the second half, the Griz hedged aggressively on all screens & forced Northern to re-set several times (several shot clock turnovers). In the second half, Northern's shooting % sank to 26 %.
• For the game, Montana shot 45%, despite a semi-tight, underwhelming 14% on 2-14 from beyond the arc. Manuel's perimeter shooting was consistently front-rim short (heard from a family member he'd been under the weather for the past week-plus). The telling stat for Montana: The Griz out-scored Northern 38-18 in the paint. The outside shots weren't falling, so the Griz got the ball to the right places in the paint.
• Pridgett (30 points on 13-20fg./4-4ft./ 5 rebounds, four assists & 1 t.o.) is a monster. He's going to be expected to carry this team & he showed the ability to do so today. Northern couldn't contain him, even with some double-teams.

My conclusions: This looks to be a better perimeter team than last season... but they didn't show it today. It's going to take the FULL pre-season schedule of hard knocks and some inconsistent play to get the Griz ready for conference. In the meantime, they may lose some games they're expected to win... but are showing some hints of a team that has the ability to play tough defense while they work on offensive timing etc.There's a lot of raw talent on this team, but, against an upcoming brutal schedule, the wins might be elusive at first. Go Griz.

Attached: Game highlights from Kyle Hansen.
[media]https://twitter.com/khansen406/status/1193704137512218625[/media]

We will witness a lot of adversity in the early season, but it will pay large dividends in the late season. We all need to temper our expectations and enjoy watching this young team progress.

GrizLA said:
The good news is Arkansas is picked 11th in SEC. The bad news is that Stanford is picked 11th in PAC12...Looks like UM is looking to next year and this year is rebuilding.

I think the youth on this team means there are going to be growing pains, but I'd be surprised if we aren't at least in contention for a top 4 finish in the Big Sky and a serious contender for the tournament crown by the end of the season. I don't think the coaching staff or the players are looking to next year.

AllWeatherFan said:
We will witness a lot of adversity in the early season, but it will pay large dividends in the late season. We all need to temper our expectations and enjoy watching this young team progress.

This nails it. Griz will go as the young kids go.

Anyone see when Northern got away with 6 men on the court during their initial run about 6 minutes or so in? They hit a wide open 3, of course, which pushed their lead to 9, I believe. The 6th man was running off the court as they made the pass to the open man. The refs missed a lot of calls both ways. Especially in the first half.

My first positive impression of Montana's win today was that freshman point guard is playing exceptionally well... a mere 9 months after graduating from high school. Still believe that. But check out the excellent video below just posted by KPAX TV reporter, Kyle Hansen (@khansen406) highlighting Griz frosh power forward Kyle Owens (@KOdoesit). A little bit of everything today from Owens, who scored 11 points, grabbed 5 rebounds & had an assist and a block. I especially like the big guy's ball handling skills, displayed nicely on the right-handed drive into the paint, capped by a left-handed floater. [media]https://twitter.com/khansen406/status/1193704942726307840[/media]

AZGrizFan said:
GrizLA said:

Lol. You’re ready to make that announcement two games in? :lol: :lol:

Yes, I am. This is definitely a work in progress as we all knew it would be with what was lost from last year. No shame in not being a powerhouse now. UM is building for the future but right now they need a big man, and hope Pridgett does not foul as often as he did last year. He is the catalyst for this team of freshman and sophomores. I'd like nothing more than to see them go into Fayetteville and leave with a win but not likely, even though Arkansas is most definitely not a powerhouse. After Weber's debacle, the Big Sky does seem like conference so many here think it is.

PeauxRouge said:
rosco said:
Not a good look when you need to homer an NAIA team

Huh? I watched about all the game and there were quite a few non-calls that I thought should have been called on both ends. It just wasn't a well called game.

Preseason for the zebras too. They did let some contact go.

grizindabox said:
AllWeatherFan said:

This nails it. Griz will go as the young kids go.

Exactly, a bunch of these guys just set foot on campus a few months ago. They are learning team concepts on O and D and learning each others strengths and weaknesses. The coach was trying a lot of different personnel groups today. Hell, the games I've seen involving the likes of Duke, UK, Sparty, Baylor and UW have all been turnover festivals. IIRC UW had about 15 TOs in the 1st half against Baylor and they have 3 McDonalds All Americans on the floor. So people should chill and enjoy watching them grow together.

Journal summed up today's contest perfectly.

I went to this game, then watched the Stanford game. Each game, the GRIZ played bad to below average for about a 10 minute stretch. From the 15 minute mark of the 2nd half, to about 5 minutes left in the game, against Stanford. Then the 1st 10 minutes against Northern. Bad play cost the GRIZ the Stanford game. Turnovers and missed shots really hurt in each game.

What am I impressed with after 2 games?
DEFENSE- every player plays hard and fast defense. The defensive effort is very impressive. Even more so, considering how many Freshman are part of the equation. They are very seldom out of position. I watched all the Freshman very closely, they have a terrific understanding of defensive fundamentals. What do I mean by that? A few things stood out to me, they are consistently between the ball and their man, heads are on a swivel, beat screens often, and great foot work. None of the 4 Freshman looked lost on defense Owens and Carter Hollinger move very well for their size and are athletic.

Owens- just may turn out to be the video poster boy for positioning yourself to draw offensive fouls. That kid has been well coached on the defensive end. He has the smarts, athleticism, and physical to defend all 5 positions. He just needs to add some bulk (very typical of most Freshman). Offensively, just like defense, he is versatile. He is capable of scoring at all 3 levels (Like Jamar did, and Pridgett does now). His game is that of a true SF. He also has the length and athleticism to match up well with Power 5 SF's/3's. Moving on offense and defense looks easy for him. He's going to be a very special player. There is nothing to not like about him. My only question is, how long will it take him to consistently find his game, and be willing to take on a starring role? Pridgett needs another player of starring. Owens is capable of it.

Carter Hollinger- he too strikes me as a true SF type, just not as long as Owens. He too moves well. He has a great nose for the ball, especially on the boards. I will have to see more of his game to get a better grasp of his potential. Looks to me, he is doesn't have a weakness. He did score at all 3 levels in the 1st 2 games. I still need to grasp more on his 3 point shooting upside and ball handling. Owens looked much more natural in those aspects. Meanwhile, C-H is more physical. He too has a very high ceiling. C-H is so young as well. It is very possible, he still may grow a few more inches. IF so, he and Owens might be the same type of players.

Vasquez- I was really impressed with his demeanor, calmness, and awareness. I see why DeCuire is high on him at PG. Defensively, he stays with his assignment well, off and on the ball. He is a much better defender than I expected, especially this early. He consistently beats screens, doesn't get lost in traffic, and is aware where his teammates are. He also takes smart shots. Nothing looks forced for him. I can tell, he's already a consistent shooter. More shots will fall for him, as he gains confidence. He handles the ball well. With time, I hope to see him drive the ball to the hole more, and/or create within the offense for himself and/or teammates. Due to his inexperience, that part of his game appears to a little harnessed. Looks to me, right now Pridgett and Falls (as he gets his game back from injury) appear to be the guys for that.

Egun- he brings the energy on both ends of the court. He looked more comfortable against Stanford, which is encouraging. Something seemed to be bothering him against Northern. I didn't see him as engaged with his teammates as I normally do. Also, he wasn't smiling. Those are things I was used to seeing from him last season. Who knows, maybe he has a different demeanor as a rotational player, than when he knows he won't be playing (redshirting). I also like his shot. I hope he matures as a SG/2 on offense, and combo defender.

Now onto the returnees:
Anderson- I feel for him. He seems to be always in the right position on both ends of the court. Athletically, he also belongs. Unfortunately, he still needs more strength. He also appears to be pressing, especially when he gets the ball on offense. Then again, that part of his game progressed with the season last season too. I hope that will be the case this season too. He isn't yet used to playing against this level of competition. He needs to convince himself, he belongs at this level, and let his natural gifts work for him.

Manuel- I love his demeanor and confidence. Offensively, he is capable of big things. His shots just aren't falling like they should. Defensively, he is consistent. I really didn't notice anything to set off any alarms to me. I just think, it is a matter of time for him to find his consistency. Maybe, as the new guys get more comfortable, less attention will be paid to him by opponents. I'd run a few more plays for him.

Falls- I can see, his injury has really hampered his progress within this team. Offensively, he just isn't comfortable out there. He is pressing way too much. Defensively, LOVE his tenacity, desire, attitude, demeanor. I would absolutely hate being guarded by him. He doesn't give and inch, and is THAT defender that just bugs the living hell out of opposing players. He took a very hard elbow to his face against Northern. That was unfortunate. Prior to that, he was playing a huge role on defense and just starting to look comfortable within the offense. I hope that pattern continues. He should be able to play the next game. This kid is way too tough to not be a big contributor this season.

Pridgett- We all know, he can absolutely do it all on the floor. He has no weakness, is as tough nails, has a junkyard mentality. So, what more can he do to further impress me? He really does look like a true PG, regardless of who he is on the court with. He sees the floor terrific. He makes the routine fundamental passes, and even the difficult fancy passes too. He also defends the perimeter and ball well. Against Stanford, he forced a few too many passes, and turned down some scoring opportunities. Against Northern, he took whatever was available him. He passed well, when his teammates were in position. He wasn't going to be denied when they weren't in position. He absolutely assumed the mindset of "This is my team and my game, I'm going to take it over. Get on my back boys!!!" He is plenty capable of putting up Rodney Stuckey type numbers, but a better rebounder than Stuckey was. If Sayeed stays completely healthy, he is going to have a historical season. He's going to be strong in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, blocks, and can even be a true shut down defender. He is a very special player. Ironically, he is mentoring to other players (Owens and C-H) capable of being complete players too.

This team sure could use Samuelson and Yagi, to help out in the post, boards, and scoring. I'm not sure what is wrong with Brown. He was in street clothes too, but appeared to be moving well.

When these Freshman get comfortable within the offense, this team will be very good again. I'm not worried about their defense whatsoever. I do think, this team is a year away though, as of now. I just don't see how they can physically mature against teams like Stanford, this season.

Solid efforts this week boys. 20 total minutes of struggles in 80 minutes of ball. Let's cut down those struggles game by game. The offense will come, with experience.

Back