• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Safety positioning

Missoula223 said:
firmgriz said:
Missoula223 said:
Maxim said:
I noticed today that when the opposing offense is in a passing situation, Hauck plays way to shallow. Because he is too shallow and peaking in the backfield most of the time he cannot get back deep enough to help the corners. On almost all the deep throws our corners were one on one, but they should have had more deep help over the top.

What coverage was he in? What coverages were they playing during the game? What is his responsibility in those coverages?

You are clueless to all those questions and have no idea what you're talking about.

Coach Hauck? Whatchu doin on Egriz?

Lol. Former college coach. I like defending coaches in general from fans who think they know what they are talking about.

And apparently you like doing it while being a dick.

It’s possible to defend coaches (although he said nothing about any coach) AND not be a dick at the same time....try it. You’ll feel better.

grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:
Fouch played more than I’ve seen him before, and he was awesome. He had a phenomenal pass break up on a deep ball (something we haven’t seen much of from our safeties) and he had a pick with a great return. He definitely looks the part and seems way better in pass coverage.

I didn't pay attention real well, but whom was Fouch in for?

I think it was mostly Robertson. They were rotating a good amount so I’m not totally positive. Just noticed him out there a lot more.

AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
firmgriz said:
Missoula223 said:
What coverage was he in? What coverages were they playing during the game? What is his responsibility in those coverages?

You are clueless to all those questions and have no idea what you're talking about.

Lol. Former college coach. I like defending coaches in general from fans who think they know what they are talking about.

And apparently you like doing while being a dick.

It’s possible to defend coaches (although he said nothing about any coach) AND not be a dick at the same time....try it. You’ll feel better.

I could, but I also like to defend players. And I have noticed other occasions where he points the finger at players. I'm shitty on a computer, so I will copy and paste some of his posts. Point is, a lot of the times specific players might not be to blame, and it irritates me when people act like they know who is at fault.

"I would throw at Sandry every time if I was another team. He is not good at pass coverage. Again I would like to see Mcginnis Hauck isn’t any better. Neither safety is a coverage guy, they’re small linebackers. Yes Hauck too is not very good at coverage but he is a much better tackler than Sandry."

"I would throw at Sandry every time if I was another team. He is not good at pass coverage. Again I would like to see Mcginnis"

"Our blitz package is not good."

"Our defense line is terrible. Also Sandry has become a liability. I would rather see Mcginnis."

"when will Sandry show up this year? Major disapointment. He cant cover anybody."

"Dumb play calls"

"Sneed sux at passing and decision making."

But you're right, I'm the dick.

Well instead of calling him clueless, why don’t you attempt to educate a bit on some of those things? We’re not all ex college coaches....

Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:
firmgriz said:

I could, but I also like to defend players. And I have noticed other occasions where he points the finger at players. I'm shitty on a computer, so I will copy and paste some of his posts. Point is, a lot of the times specific players might not be to blame, and it irritates me when people act like they know who is at fault.

"I would throw at Sandry every time if I was another team. He is not good at pass coverage. Again I would like to see Mcginnis Hauck isn’t any better. Neither safety is a coverage guy, they’re small linebackers. Yes Hauck too is not very good at coverage but he is a much better tackler than Sandry."

"I would throw at Sandry every time if I was another team. He is not good at pass coverage. Again I would like to see Mcginnis"

"Our defense line is terrible. Also Sandry has become a liability. I would rather see Mcginnis."

"when will Sandry show up this year? Major disapointment. He cant cover anybody."

"Dumb play calls"

I appreciate you posting on here, trying to help us all understand some of the schemes, maybe what they are trying to do. I don't like the blame game either, as fans we have no idea who is responsible where. Especially the Griz, they play a very non typical defense, 3 safeties, 3 down, lots of moving parts.

1972 said:
Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Missoula223 said:

"Dumb play calls"

I appreciate you posting on here, trying to help us all understand some of the schemes, maybe what they are trying to do. I don't like the blame game either, as fans we have no idea who is responsible where. Especially the Griz, they play a very non typical defense, 3 safeties, 3 down, lots of moving parts.

I would be more than willing to inform if questions are asked as opposed to fingers being pointed. I don't mean to pretend to be an expert, but what I do know I am open to share.

FireGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
FireGriz said:
jcu27 said:
If you don't know what his assignment is, how can you call him wrong? Assumptions on both sides. Neither knowing what the hell they're talking about because neither know what he was suppose to be doing. :lol:

We can all correctly assume that trailing the TE or WR by 10 yards as the guy catches a TD wasn’t the assignment.

Thanks for playing.

How do you know that another player was not supposed to be covering the deep zone or providing over the top help? People who don’t know secondary play often (incorrectly) assume that the player trailing the receiver from way behind, got beat or made a mistake. In fact, the mistake was often made by another player.

What I think when I see a comment like this is that the person making the comment doesn’t understand the game.

Have you watched the games? Have you seen the plays where the safety is the only one assigned to the opposing player that scores? The question here is whether the player screwed up (likely) or the scheme is poor (less likely).

Yes, I watch most of the games. I played the secondary in college. I talk to the UM secondary coaches.

I also look for incorrect and dumb posts, like the one I commented on. I doubt that you know who has been “assigned” to cover the receiver, based on some of comments. Yes, if a safety is standing deep in middle of field and a receiver runs past him, probably that safety’s mistake.

AZGrizFan said:
Well instead of calling him clueless, why don’t you attempt to educate a bit on some of those things? We’re not all ex college coaches....

Why do “clueless” posters and their friends that they can criticize players and coaches, but other posters can’t comment on their posts or criticize them. 223 is one of best and most knowledgeable posters on egriz, in my view.

By the way, where’s your game report? Assume you were there.

Missoula223 said:
nzone said:
So 223 you call out a poster for showing frustration, call him uniformed, ask him questions but offer no explanation. So please correct him about coverages etc..with some answers.

Go Griz!

I am not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of the Griz defense, although I do know football and I know more goes on than any fan or reporter realizes. I would have to watch the tape and know the techniques that are being asked of each individual player along with why they are using said technique. The coaches and players are the only one that have those specific answers. However, I do think I am able to recognize certain coverages and fronts and may be able to provide answers as to why I personally believe they may be beneficial and why they may be detrimental, but this may not be the reason they are running those. I would be more than willing to discuss football terms in general, but again I can't say what the griz are trying to do specifically and neither can anyone on here.

I did notice the yesterday we started in what's called a mix coverage early on in the game, and Idaho ran some stutter outs, that put both the safety and a corner in a bind to the boundary. We started manning the slot and #1 receiver to the boundary which helped, and looked like we mixed in some form of cover 3 in the second half (I could be wrong about this, but I know we had a post player, and the boundary safety took over the flats which usually means some type of boundary insert). Again though in this scenario on each specific play I have no idea what is occurring in other positions as I was watching that specifically.

Does anyone have any idea why they lined up Rice in a 10? I have my own suspicions but this is what this forum should be about, not criticizing each player, but trying to figure out why they are doing those types of things.
Boy I bet players loved playing for your know it a-hole attitude. I can see why u r a former coach.

Maxim said:
Missoula223 said:
nzone said:
So 223 you call out a poster for showing frustration, call him uniformed, ask him questions but offer no explanation. So please correct him about coverages etc..with some answers.

Go Griz!

I am not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of the Griz defense, although I do know football and I know more goes on than any fan or reporter realizes. I would have to watch the tape and know the techniques that are being asked of each individual player along with why they are using said technique. The coaches and players are the only one that have those specific answers. However, I do think I am able to recognize certain coverages and fronts and may be able to provide answers as to why I personally believe they may be beneficial and why they may be detrimental, but this may not be the reason they are running those. I would be more than willing to discuss football terms in general, but again I can't say what the griz are trying to do specifically and neither can anyone on here.

I did notice the yesterday we started in what's called a mix coverage early on in the game, and Idaho ran some stutter outs, that put both the safety and a corner in a bind to the boundary. We started manning the slot and #1 receiver to the boundary which helped, and looked like we mixed in some form of cover 3 in the second half (I could be wrong about this, but I know we had a post player, and the boundary safety took over the flats which usually means some type of boundary insert). Again though in this scenario on each specific play I have no idea what is occurring in other positions as I was watching that specifically.

Does anyone have any idea why they lined up Rice in a 10? I have my own suspicions but this is what this forum should be about, not criticizing each player, but trying to figure out why they are doing those types of things.
Boy I bet players loved playing for your know it a-hole attitude. I can see why u r a former coach.

So I could watch and coach my kids throughout their high school days. You're right I'm the bad guy though, while you talk shit about the coverage and about Sandry and about Sneeds decision making and the D line. Why hasn't coach Hauck hired you??

AZGrizFan said:

Which of my posts specifically are you answering to? I would love to try and educate him regarding what I know about football if I felt like he were seeking information. My disclaimer however, is that I don't know the ins and outs of what is actually going on, but neither does he.

Why am I the asshole after he bashes players and scheme?

Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Which of my posts specifically are you answering to? I would love to try and educate him regarding what I know about football if I felt like he were seeking information. My disclaimer however, is that I don't know the ins and outs of what is actually going on, but neither does he.

I think all AZ is saying is you can respond to a post without the vitriol. This is a fan forum...not an "expert" forum. The OP is entitled to express his or her thoughts...we are Griz fans...why call each other names? Why denigrate someone no matter how "ignorant" you think their post? Sorry, I don't get that.

grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think all AZ is saying is you can respond to a post without the vitriol. This is a fan forum...not an "expert" forum. The OP is entitled to express his or her thoughts...we are Griz fans...why call each other names? Why denigrate someone no matter how "ignorant" you think their post? Sorry, I don't get that.

Did you read the posts of his I copy and pasted? He is entitled to do so, just like I’m entitled to express my opinions in which his are ignorant.

He acts like an asshole I can respond like an asshole. If he want information I can give my opinion, which is just that an opinion.

Do you agree with some of his posts? Does sneed suck at throwing and decision making?

I simply shared an observation from the game. While I may have no coaching experience I did play football and have watched hundreds of games, so I do have a good understanding.
But if u think our safety positioning and scheme has been good against the pass this year I am not sure what games u have been watching. This is not personal against Robby I think he is a terrific player who plays hard all the time. Just something I noticed.

Whew, lots of white knight sjw shit in here tonight.

Learn to take criticism kids, it's a very under rated skill.

grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:

You think referring to someone as clueless
is vitriol? I don’t. 223 has been had more crap and names directed at him in this thread than he has ever said to others.

I may have to change my posting name to Knowledgeableposterrep.

Missoula223 said:
grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Did you read the posts of his I copy and pasted? He is entitled to do so, just like I’m entitled to express my opinions in which his are ignorant.

He acts like an asshole I can respond like an asshole. If he want information I can give my opinion, which is just that an opinion.

Do you agree with some of his posts? Does sneed suck at throwing and decision making?

I've read all the posts. You interpret his or her posts as him or her "acting like an asshole", whereas I simply think a fan is expressing their opinion. I disagree with a number of his or her posts, but I don't need to call him or her "ignorant". I don't need to belittle him or her. If I want to disagree with a post, I can do that without pejoratives; if you want to "respond like an asshole" so be it: that's your right. I just don't get that

grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:
grizpaws said:
Missoula223 said:

I've read all the posts. You interpret his or her posts as him or her "acting like an asshole", whereas I simply think a fan is expressing their opinion. I disagree with a number of his or her posts, but I don't need to call him or her "ignorant". I don't need to belittle him or her. If I want to disagree with a post, I can do that without pejoratives; if you want to "respond like an asshole" so be it: that's your right. I just don't get that

His opinion is that sneed sucks and mine is that he (OP) sucks. Fair? Lol My opinion is that he doesn't know what he's talking about, so I can be an asshole for it I don't really care, but I think someone should be more educated in terms of what's going on in the game before calling out players and coaches.

Maxim said:
I simply shared an observation from the game. While I may have no coaching experience I did play football and have watched hundreds of games, so I do have a good understanding.
But if u think our safety positioning and scheme has been good against the pass this year I am not sure what games u have been watching. This is not personal against Robby I think he is a terrific player who plays hard all the time. Just something I noticed.

And I simply shared an observation with your posts. And that's fine at times that's the nature of being a fan. I'm not saying it has been great and I'm not saying it's been bad. I'm saying you don't know that that's where the issues lie, if there are issues. Like I said, some coaches want to be aggressive, knowing they are going to give up big plays at times but also that they are going to make teams cave and create turnovers, which the griz have done. The plays could be a lack of pass rush at times or blown assignments by other positions or good plays by the opposing team or bad drops by linebackers or a miscommunication. My point is dude you have no idea and neither do I, I just don't understand when fans want to talk shit about players and call themselves a fan.

223, Do you try to cover the tight end on a drag pattern with a LB'er. or Free. The old Bootleg Waggle. I see lots of drag patterns running wide open > When we ran the old 27 D, (4-3). we had Mike to help out, sam just couldn't keep up. . I think now the Drag pattern has kinda evolved into a post. Thus Beating hell out of Free..

Back