• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is Falls a net liability

CleanHOUSE

Thank GOD Timmy Falls didnt get the starting job at PG for us this year. We would be in a ton of trouble, IMO he's either a very selfish or low BBall IQ player. He seems way more concerned with looking flashy...like dude you know you can just do two handed bounce pass, it doesn't have to be a one handed no look spin pass. So often chooses the low percentage play (lets do a try dunk WTF) and thats low IQ basketball. SO many plays with him end up out of control because he tries to do something flashy and it just ends up look SUPER CRINGY. Another problem is he wants to do more than he can, he wants a focal role,but to keep up and do that he has to redline his game which also contributes to things getting out of control. He's undersized and gets pushed around by D-1 athletes and the game often looks like its moving to fast for him. Think its pretty clear he's got the Napoleon complex or he thinks people only like him for his no look passes and if he does a boring pass his fans will abandon him LOL

If he would just play within himself and use his good passing skills wisely to distribute and play some pesky defense he would be a positive role player, but he sees himself as a big-time game breaker and badly want others to see him as that.

Played much better in the second half. I also think his hand injury is still affecting his play and is resulting in a diminished role for now.

Tim's hustle and tenacity in the second half was a major factor in getting the win. Took one in the face and left the court. Trainers eventually took off for medical treatment with his mouth stuffed with gauze.

suggest = be patient

CleanHOUSE said:
If he would just play within himself and use his good passing skills wisely to distribute and play some pesky defense he would be a positive role player

Some have very short memories of how Timmy played down the stretch last year. It is the 2nd game of the year. He’s a gamer.

Timmy isn't a net liability. He does need to learn to take care of the ball better, and when to use fancy passes. Defensively, the kid gets after it, and NEVER fears any opponent. The dude is competitive and intense. I don't worry about him defensively. He is also tough as nails.

Right now, he is rusty from a long layoff from his injury. Unfortunately, due to circumstances, he doesn't have the luxury of waiting to fully recover 100%. We saw these inconsistencies his 1st 2 seasons. Yes, his play sometimes can be frustrating. However, the last month of last season, he played great. He proved, he is very capable of being solid player. I do think, he presses himself too often. When he lets the game just come to him, he does much better.

I honestly expect Falls to be inconsistent another handful of games. His defense and energy are very much needed on this team I do hope he cans his release that creates sideway rotation on his jumpers. If he made that slight change, his shooting percentage would go up quite a bit.

Rather it be Falls, or any other GRIZ athlete, I wish some fans would lay off these athletes some. Especially, when a player is coming back from a long layoff, due to injury.

Here is to hoping, Falls proves his worth and proves his doubters wrong.

I'll just leave this here. Pay close attention to who gets the assist on the first 4 highlights. Not to mention each pass is better than the last.

https://youtu.be/O_6whlpjByY

Basketball, more than football, is a game of repetition and touch. Any injury will take time to recover and build a rhythm, but this is especially the case with an injury to your shooting hand.

mtgrizrule said:
Timmy isn't a net liability. He does need to learn to take care of the ball better, and when to use fancy passes. Defensively, the kid gets after it, and NEVER fears any opponent. The dude is competitive and intense. I don't worry about him defensively. He is also tough as nails.

Right now, he is rusty from a long layoff from his injury. Unfortunately, due to circumstances, he doesn't have the luxury of waiting to fully recover 100%. We saw these inconsistencies his 1st 2 seasons. Yes, his play sometimes can be frustrating. However, the last month of last season, he played great. He proved, he is very capable of being solid player. I do think, he presses himself too often. When he lets the game just come to him, he does much better.

I honestly expect Falls to be inconsistent another handful of games. His defense and energy are very much needed on this team I do hope he cans his release that creates sideway rotation on his jumpers. If he made that slight change, his shooting percentage would go up quite a bit.

Rather it be Falls, or any other GRIZ athlete, I wish some fans would lay off these athletes some. Especially, when a player is coming back from a long layoff, due to injury.

Here is to hoping, Falls proves his worth and proves his doubters wrong.

I totally agree! Last year for the second half of the year, the team started to get flat, and Travis inserted Timmy into the starting line up, instead of Dorsey! He was the spark the team needed at that time, and it helped carry the Griz to the BSC championship! Obviously, you don’t want five Timmy’s on the floor at once, but he plays hard and leaves it all out there on the court! He gets under the opposing team’s skin! I think once he gets back, he’ll be an asset to the team like last year! It’s got to be frustrating to him to have the injured hand, especially after waiting for his turn to be at the helm. Go Griz!

Yes, Timmy’s game can be very frustrating at times to watch. But as noted by other posters he will need time to get his timing back and I believe he will. He plays with a lot of emotion which can be good, as evidenced by his play late last year or it can be frustrating as evidenced by his play so far this year. He is dealing with several new players and he needs to learn to play within the system to be effective.
Another poster also noted Timmy’s ball rotation when he shoots is sideways instead of coming off his shooting hand back to front rotation if that makes any sense. I know he was a good shooter in high school but in college his shoots are more contested and his release is hurried. I’m hoping Jordan Gregory can work with him on that. Defensively he is still an asset once he’s on the floor. I still have him pegged for 10/12 Pt’s per game and 5 assists by mid season. Let’s hope I’m right as we’re going to need him to contribute.

I absolutely believe Timmy will be an asset. He also absolutley has to learn to find the right balance between making the high percentage play and the highlight play. This team could use both and definitely needs his confidence (when its high) and his hustle and will to win.

Timmy has a lot of Sam Ridlde to his game/ego and that is NOT a compliment.

What he does have that Riddle didn't is the desire, toughness and athleticism to be a great on ball defender.

I'm a Timmy Falls fan and think he can really help this team if he puts it together.

StumptownGriz said:
Timmy has a lot of Sam Ridlde to his game/ego and that is NOT a compliment.

What he does have that Riddle didn't is the desire, toughness and athleticism to be a great on ball defender.

I'm a Timmy Falls fan and think he can really help this team if he puts it together.

Fortunately for him, he always plays tough defense. That keeps him getting minutes. However, Egun also brings that tenacity, and is a more consistent shooter. If Falls continues to struggle with his shot and turnovers, Egun will get more minutes.

Falls is a large net positive. After he recovers from his injury, and gets into playing shape, we shall see how big of a net positive he is this year.

CleanHOUSE said:
Thank GOD Timmy Falls didnt get the starting job at PG for us this year. We would be in a ton of trouble, IMO he's either a very selfish or low BBall IQ player. He seems way more concerned with looking flashy...like dude you know you can just do two handed bounce pass, it doesn't have to be a one handed no look spin pass. So often chooses the low percentage play (lets do a try dunk WTF) and thats low IQ basketball. SO many plays with him end up out of control because he tries to do something flashy and it just ends up look SUPER CRINGY. Another problem is he wants to do more than he can, he wants a focal role,but to keep up and do that he has to redline his game which also contributes to things getting out of control. He's undersized and gets pushed around by D-1 athletes and the game often looks like its moving to fast for him. Think its pretty clear he's got the Napoleon complex or he thinks people only like him for his no look passes and if he does a boring pass his fans will abandon him LOL

If he would just play within himself and use his good passing skills wisely to distribute and play some pesky defense he would be a positive role player, but he sees himself as a big-time game breaker and badly want others to see him as that.

So this post was a question and not a statement and I open to the evidence, I admit I should/could have been more charitable in my framing but was just frustrated with what seems like a lack of growth in his game since Frosh year really...OR I should say more accurately the negative aspects to his game don't seem to be diminishing. And this is frustrating because he drawbacks appear to be 90% mental and simple fixes. Now he is a bit small and can get over powered and has a ugly line drive shot, but those are physical things I don't really have a problem with.
Anyway from reading all the post people made a lot of good points about the positives he brings, but at the same time most post presented those positives as "Yeah he has considerable drawbacks But some even better positives." So I think the consensus is that he certainly has significant weaknesses but his positives outweigh them and He is a NET POSITIVE....and I agree with this. I'll just close by saying I'm really rooting for him and he has a nice ceiling and if he made some changes to his approach his floor could easily be a lot higher and more stable.

Back