• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Safety positioning

Down and Distance really can dictate safety positioning. If he has corners that can help over the top, he can become kind of a rover

Down and Distance really can dictate safety positioning. If he has corners that can help over the top, he can become kind of a rover, and see i told you it has been a long time. Thanks for kinda bring me up to speed. In addition to a wide out and a motion receiver. creating a wipe, or brush-off?? they make it damn tough on corners, and LB;ers

Griz#64 said:
Down and Distance really can dictate safety positioning. If he has corners that can help over the top, he can become kind of a rover, and see i told you it has been a long time. Thanks for kinda bring me up to speed. In addition to a wide out and a motion receiver. creating a wipe, or brush-off?? they make it damn tough on corners, and LB;ers

I agree to an extent. I think your point applies mainly to 3rd down and red zone. But when you're in man free or 0, you also have to let the player play how he is most comfortable playing. Some corners are most comfortable from press no matter what the down and distance is.

When in base downs it's usually pretty straightforward alignment determined by the scheme and what a coach has told you. In quarters, it's 10 by 2 is pretty much the norm for safeties. Corners are dependent on their technique. If they're playing what's known as mix, it's usually 7x1 inside tip, but most teams lock or cloud the boundary and choose to press or play 5x1 respectively.

Regardless of the scheme, results indicate either a play calling deficit or an execution failure. I’m less concerned with the minutia of cloud coverages and man carry through zones than I am with opposing receivers running free with no one within 10 yards of them.

I really do think this game would have been quite different if Cotton hadn’t been injured. Dude was having a pretty good game up to that point.

FireGriz said:
Regardless of the scheme, results indicate either a play calling deficit or an execution failure. I’m less concerned with the minutia of cloud coverages and man carry through zones than I am with opposing receivers running free with no one within 10 yards of them.

I really do think this game would have been quite different if Cotton hadn’t been injured. Dude was having a pretty good game up to that point.

So those results aren't due to good play calling/good plays on the other sideline?

Where does the breakdown occur then? What plays should have been called or what needed to happen in order to avoid those results?

Based on what has been posted. Maybe we need to put Sneed in the press box for 1 quarter, and have him sprint down the steps of old dornblazer stadium, (upgraded), in full gear and sprint onto the field. The crowd goes crazy, the team is like really fired up, and the coaches are doing High Fives...Go Griz

nzone said:
So 223 you call out a poster for showing frustration, call him uniformed, ask him questions but offer no explanation. So please correct him about coverages etc..with some answers.

Go Griz!

What’s wrong with asking a poster to explain why thinks a player or coach has screwed up or got out coached? I understand that that what’s the poster thinks, but something has to have caused him to think that. After seeing the reasons or explanation, it’s much easier to provide a response. If a poster just says we got out-coached, how does 223 provide a response other than no we didn’t. Asking how we got our coached is important.

Kudos to Missoula 223, and FireGriz, both college coaches i assume. I was lucky to coach "old Sketchy Hi". Go Griz . Just having fun guys Lighten up. Griz are Back , balls to the wall..

Griz#64 said:
Kudos to Missoula 223, and FireGriz, both college coaches i assume. I was lucky to coach "old Sketchy Hi". Go Griz . Just having fun guys Lighten up. Griz are Back , balls to the wall..

All good my man. Go griz.

Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:

I wasn’t trying to be an ass, and you make a good point 223. We have played a few quality offenses.

I would politely posit that Griz safeties have been repeatedly exposed by those good offenses. On numerous occasions the safeties have been caught cheating up and burnt by wideouts running both combo routes and simple post routes. One could make the case that the common denominator in these failures week to week has been the decision for the safeties to play nearer to the line of scrimmage than conventional wisdom might suggest. As I’m not privy to the inner workings of the Griz defensive scheme, I can only make assumptions as to the root cause of that positioning.

Based on what has been posted. Maybe we need to put Sneed in the press box for 1 quarter, and have him sprint down the steps of old dornblazer stadium, (upgraded), in full gear and sprint onto the field. The crowd goes crazy, the team is like really fired up, and the coaches are doing High Fives...Go Griz

FireGriz said:
Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:

I wasn’t trying to be an ass, and you make a good point 223. We have played a few quality offenses.

I would politely posit that Griz safeties have been repeatedly exposed by those good offenses. On numerous occasions the safeties have been caught cheating up and burnt by wideouts running both combo routes and simple post routes. One could make the case that the common denominator in these failures week to week has been the decision for the safeties to play nearer to the line of scrimmage than conventional wisdom might suggest. As I’m not privy to the inner workings of the Griz defensive scheme, I can only make assumptions as to the root cause of that positioning.

I get where you're coming from. I also think griz coaches expect safeties to play tight and challenge guys to beat them through the air, which is going to happen at times when you have an aggressive mentality like that.

If you don't know what his assignment is, how can you call him wrong? Assumptions on both sides. Neither knowing what the hell they're talking about because neither know what he was suppose to be doing. :lol:

jcu27 said:
If you don't know what his assignment is, how can you call him wrong? Assumptions on both sides. Neither knowing what the hell they're talking about because neither know what he was suppose to be doing. :lol:

We can all correctly assume that trailing the TE or WR by 10 yards as the guy catches a TD wasn’t the assignment.

Thanks for playing.

FireGriz said:
jcu27 said:

We can all correctly assume that trailing the TE or WR by 10 yards as the guy catches a TD wasn’t the assignment.

Thanks for playing.

How do you know that another player was not supposed to be covering the deep zone or providing over the top help? People who don’t know secondary play often (incorrectly) assume that the player trailing the receiver from way behind, got beat or made a mistake. In fact, the mistake was often made by another player.

What I think when I see a comment like this is that the person making the comment doesn’t understand the game.

Missoula223 said:
FireGriz said:
Missoula223 said:
Griz#64 said:

I get where you're coming from. I also think griz coaches expect safeties to play tight and challenge guys to beat them through the air, which is going to happen at times when you have an aggressive mentality like that.

This is what I think as well. Priority 1 is stopping the run.

SoldierGriz said:
Missoula223 said:
FireGriz said:
Missoula223 said:

Priority 1 is preventing the other team from scoring and the stats would indicate that playing the safeties close to the line isn’t as effective as one would like.

PlayerRep said:
FireGriz said:
jcu27 said:

Thanks for playing.

How do you know that another player was not supposed to be covering the deep zone or providing over the top help? People who don’t know secondary play often (incorrectly) assume that the player trailing the receiver from way behind, got beat or made a mistake. In fact, the mistake was often made by another player.

What I think when I see a comment like this is that the person making the comment doesn’t understand the game.

Have you watched the games? Have you seen the plays where the safety is the only one assigned to the opposing player that scores? The question here is whether the player screwed up (likely) or the scheme is poor (less likely).

FireGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
Missoula223 said:
FireGriz said:

Priority 1 is preventing the other team from scoring and the stats would indicate that playing the safeties close to the line isn’t as effective as one would like.

Maybe to you that's the priority. Some coaches care more about beating the shit out of guys for a few quarters knowing that those plays won't be made if a guy is worried about getting hit.

This ideology may lead to our numbers in the2nd half and 4th quarter.

Missoula223 said:
FireGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
Missoula223 said:

Maybe to you that's the priority. Some coaches care more about beating the shit out of guys for a few quarters knowing that those plays won't be made if a guy is worried about getting hit.

This ideology may lead to our numbers in the2nd half and 4th quarter.

You could very well be right. Hard to say, but that would fit Hauck’s philosophy.

Back