• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: 8-2

fltheadgriz said:
Kind of strange after the interception that should have gone to JLM that he wasn't targeted the rest of the game.

Idaho had great secondary coverage, and I am wondering if when JLM was running his route and saw three defenders on him, he figured no way in hell that the ball was going to be thrown to him. He wasn't even looking as it passed him by.

BWahlberg said:
Getting this post game write up done while I’m taking an Uber ride home from Ricky’s Sports Bar in San Leandro. Being I’m typing it on my phone, I’ll be a little more brief here.

Once again a choppy start that has basically become the signature start for these Griz this year, however as always they finished strong and came away with a solid win. The opening to this game was about as bad as it could be on offense, two tough picks and a fumble that’s got to be frustrating. I’ll credit Idaho for coming out with some fire and playing tough early there. The fumble forced on Knight was just a great hit right on the ball to knock it loose. However after that the return of Dalton Sneed lit a spark in this team that had them rally back and out score Idaho 42-7 the rest of the way.

A few quick takeaways:

- in terms of a pass rush this d line just gets better each week. Awesome days for Babros, O’Connell, Gubner, and Mamula. This D line has really come a long ways over the season and will get their biggest test yet next week. I like that they’re peaking at the right time.

- This pass defense is what it is, not sure what more can be said. Opportunistic at the right time but still pretty error prone. I think if Idaho had a real QB instead of Petrino they would’ve had at least 14 more points on the board. Likes what I saw from Fouch today.

- Solid day from Ostmo, plugging in after the Knight fumble and having a good receiving and rushing day with multiple TDs.

- Idaho is maybe one of the most undisciplined teams I’ve seen in a long time. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

- Glad Dalton is ok after getting the wind knocked out of him. Worried about Akem though.

- Olson got fooled once by Petrino when scrambling but otherwise had himself another awesome day. Caught a few guys from behind, lead the team in stops, and even landed on a fumble.

- Mitch Roberts out there snagging every catch, and all hands... reminds me of another #80 we used to have. His future is bright. Love the WR depth on this team.

- Dalton looked a little rusty at times but seemed to shake off that rust a bit. A few underthrows, but overall a good day. Also glad Cam got back in so he didn’t have to finish out the day after getting yanked in the first.

- Toure is having such a great rebound season this year. I’m sure he wishes he had that contested catch in the endzone in the 3rd but overall a great day with a tremendous 1 handed grab and then an awesome design for a wide open TD.

- it was tough to tell but it seemed liked on TV they were rotating safeties a lot. Was there some frustration with the inconsistency in coverage perhaps?

- Watching Barry Sacks celebrate big plays is awesome.

That’s all I’ve got, others can add more, the Griz are at 8 wins on the season, with 2 more games to go. HUGE game on the horizon with Weber coming to town. I’m loving how far this team has come and I can’t wait to be back in Wa Griz to cheer them on next week!

Go Griz!

Yo, how'd you wind up at Ricky's? And what was it like?

Love the result today, but anybody who thinks Cam didn't get "yanked" should be in the Bakken smoking that good basin-meth. I think Cam will be a great QB, but that was panic stations to get Dalton up and running. It all worked out because at the end of the day, we're better.

Great teams learn to overcome adversity. We've been doing it most of the year in a big way, except the Sac game. This will help us down the road for sure. Griz continue to play hard and wear teams down. Big game next week, it will be a dog fight for sure.

1972 said:
Great teams learn to overcome adversity. We've been doing it most of the year in a big way, except the Sac game. This will help us down the road for sure. Griz continue to play hard and wear teams down. Big game next week, it will be a dog fight for sure.

Last year, we would watch the score get run up in the first half then sit on the edges of our seats hoping that maybe this time we wouldn't blow it. This year - "We're down 17 two minutes into the second quarter? We got this."

fencer24 said:
1972 said:

Last year, we would watch the score get run up in the first half then sit on the edges of our seats hoping that maybe this time we wouldn't blow it. This year - "We're down 17 two minutes into the second quarter? We got this."

:thumb:
I feel a lot more confident this year. Weber is going to be extremely tough, not sure we're there yet. If Dalton was 100% and Akem 100% I would feel a lot better. It will be a good measuring stick. I feel like Weber is one of the elite teams in the FCS.

SaskGriz said:
Love the result today, but anybody who thinks Cam didn't get "yanked" should be in the Bakken smoking that good basin-meth. I think Cam will be a great QB, but that was panic stations to get Dalton up and running. It all worked out because at the end of the day, we're better.

Cams problem is that he stares at his primary receiver and throws it to them almost every time. Even when he has time he does not go through his progressions. He needs to relax, and have more confidence and it will help his happy feet. This comes with experience so hopefully he will improve on it.

1972 said:
fencer24 said:
1972 said:

I feel a lot more confident this year. Weber is going to be extremely tough, not sure we're there yet. If Dalton was 100% and Akem 100% I would feel a lot better. It will be a good measuring stick. I feel like Weber is one of the elite teams in the FCS.

Weber may be an elite team in the FCS but I just am not convinced they are top 4 and I really think there is a solid gap between NDSU and JMU and the rest of the field. I have not watched any of them play this year and this is based on how they are doing this year and how they have done the past few years so I could be wrong.

cmtgrizzly said:
1972 said:
fencer24 said:
1972 said:

Weber may be an elite team in the FCS but I just am not convinced they are top 4 and I really think there is a solid gap between NDSU and JMU and the rest of the field. I have not watched any of them play this year and this is based on how they are doing this year and how they have done the past few years so I could be wrong.

Having seen both NDSU and JMU play this season I can say with absolute certainty that they are both beatable. I can also say with absolute certainty that UM would have to play it’s absolute best game right now to beat either of them. UM hasn’t played a full four quarters of football yet this year, so id surmise that it’s very unlikely UM could pull off a win without significant improvement over the next 3-4 weeks. UM might get a shot at NDSU come playoff time. Time for the Griz to prove they belong in the top 5 these next two weeks. Win those two and who knows how far we can make it come playoff time with home field advantage

On a side note Cam didnt play great yesterday but I dont think he played that bad either. I think he and JLM share responsibility on the first pick. The second turnover, though contributed to the panic that lead to his benching, was not his fault. The third turnover was all him and was the one true mistake and bad throw that he made. Still think he could be our guy next year and we will be good next year if he is the QB.

Also Kenyan Foster had a great kick return yesterday that was not credited by the tv announcers as they credited Flowers instead. Teams really have to plan for our returners. Also Frosh. Keelan White looked pretty good yesterday.

I was hunting yesterday so I didn't get to watch the game until last night. On the pregame tailgate scenes that they show who do I see but our own Reinell30 doing what he does best, providing great hospitality to the opposing team's fans. Good to see you brother! Lots of people are going to have fond memories of WaGriz even if they do get curb stomped.

Good commentary Fencer. Idaho focused on JLM.

fencer24 said:
fltheadgriz said:
Kind of strange after the interception that should have gone to JLM that he wasn't targeted the rest of the game.

Idaho had great secondary coverage, and I am wondering if when JLM was running his route and saw three defenders on him, he figured no way in hell that the ball was going to be thrown to him. He wasn't even looking as it passed him by.

5dc77d33556ce.image.jpg

Proud Griz Man said:

fencer24 said:
fltheadgriz said:

5dc77d33556ce.image.jpg

That wasn't the first interception, in fact, I think that was the pass breakup, because the interceptor was sitting on his knees as the ball drilled him.

fencer24 said:
Proud Griz Man said:

fencer24 said:
fltheadgriz said:

5dc77d33556ce.image.jpg

That wasn't the first interception, in fact, I think that was the pass breakup, because the interceptor was sitting on his knees as the ball drilled him.

That's correct "24"

I was not saying that this picture was the Interception play. It shows a Vandal DB covering JLM and making a tremendous play to prevent a JLM reception.

Back