• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

College Sports Madness ranking: Griz @ 126

grizzlyjournal

College Sports Madness has been posting its 2019-20 CSM Too 144 Basketball Ranking previews daily over the past month. The Griz start the season in the CSM poll ranked at 126. The only other Big Sky team earning a ranking is Eastern Washington, at 113. The preview has numerous factual and roster errors, but nonetheless shows significant respect for the Griz and seniors Sayeed Pridgett and Kendal Manuel with its ranking. A good place to start out.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17601

Two things strike me about this poll:
--How sophisticated it is. Except for the Hardnett situation, they assess our situation much the way that I, an insider, would assess it. Praise where praise is due, and questions where questions are appropriate. No false notes. And exactly the right conclusion: If all the pieces fit together, we should be right in the thick of it again.
--And again, as always with these national polls, the company Montana is keeping--and beating. At #126, we are within hailing distance of Utah, Pepperdine, New Mexico and UTEP, all schools from bigger conferences, and ahead of Loyola of Chicago, which two years ago made it to the Final Four and is right in the heart of one of the richest recruiting areas in the country, and also ahead of such schools as Georgia Tech, Big Ten Nebraska, and Saint Louis.
In short, DeCuire and his staff are punching way above their weight.

We will have true and redshirt freshmen with quite a bit of playing time this season, so I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable. But that playing time will pay big long-term dividends.*

*Disclaimer: Past performance does not guarantee future investment results.

citay said:
--How sophisticated it is. Except for the Hardnett situation, they assess our situation much the way that I, an insider, would assess it. Praise where praise is due, and questions where questions are appropriate. No false notes. And exactly the right conclusion: If all the pieces fit together, we should be right in the thick of it again.
--And again, as always with these national polls, the company Montana is keeping--and beating. At #126, we are within hailing distance of Utah, Pepperdine, New Mexico and UTEP, all schools from bigger conferences, and ahead of Loyola of Chicago, which two years ago made it to the Final Four and is right in the heart of one of the richest recruiting areas in the country, and also ahead of such schools as Georgia Tech, Big Ten Nebraska, and Saint Louis.
And, they're "punching way above their weight" with an extremely young ball club. Did they do a ranking last year? It would be an interesting comparison.

grizpaws said:
citay said:
And, they're "punching way above their weight" with an extremely young ball club. Did they do a ranking last year? It would be an interesting comparison.

Here you go, grizpaws: The College Sports Madness Ranking for 2018-19 had Montana at 87. The other two ranked Big Sky Conf. schools were Montana State at 107 and Weber State at 136.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizpaws said:
citay said:

Here you go, grizpaws: The College Sports Madness Ranking for 2018-19 had Montana at 87. The other two ranked Big Sky Conf. schools were Montana State at 107 and Weber State at 136.

Thank you. 39 place differential is probably pretty fair given the youth and unknowns on this year's team.

I got a $20 ticket from vegas that pays $40,000 if the Griz win the NCAA tourney, so I'm going to need them to punch WAAAAAYYYY above their weight class, please!!!

AZGrizFan said:
I got a $20 ticket from vegas that pays $40,000 if the Griz win the NCAA tourney, so I'm going to need them to punch WAAAAAYYYY above their weight class, please!!!

That seems like a no-brainer bet to me...how you going to spend that $40k?

citay said:

Any news on Gaskins? I’m so excited about this season and these freshmen! I think we have enough leadership early to carry the team, but it’s gonna be really interesting to see how all of this talent fits together! We’re gonna go deeper this year! We know Pridgett is gonna be great, and Manuel will get more time than just shooting off the bench, but I’m really looking forward to seeing Fall’s maturing into a leader! He came on last year at the end, and made difference with his intensity! Then you add Egun, who’s very quick and already knows the offense! Samuelson and Mack fighting inside-even though Samuelson was an outside shooter at Rocky! Yagi in November, Freddy Brown getting some threes. And then three freshmen fitting with their talent, as well as Briceno and Peter Jones! Steadman and Gaskins next year added to it! Do we go ten or eleven deep? Who redshirts? It’s amazing what Travis and company brought in!

In my mind two things have to happen for this team to challenge for the BSC title again this year. First, Falls & Manuel must become more consistent! Secondly, Mack and the rest of the big's must play to their potential!

There are absolutely no concerns with Sayeed, so if those other two things happen this team will be terrific once again!

Gaeilge1 said:
In my mind two things have to happen for this team to challenge for the BSC title again this year. First, Falls & Manuel must become more consistent! Secondly, Mack and the rest of the big's must play to their potential!

There are absolutely no concerns with Sayeed, so if those other two things happen this team will be terrific once again!

Those things will happen. I'm not 1 bit worried about Pridgett, Manuel, and Anderson. To me, the biggest key will be how quickly the young Freshmen mature and contribute? I know, DeCuire will have them playing well when we get to the conference tournament. I expect a big roller coaster ride the 1st half of the season.

mtgrizrule said:
Gaeilge1 said:

Those things will happen. I'm not 1 bit worried about Pridgett, Manuel, and Anderson. To me, the biggest key will be how quickly the young Freshmen mature and contribute? I know, DeCuire will have them playing well when we get to the conference tournament. I expect a big roller coaster ride the 1st half of the season.

I agree grizrule. How our Fab Five adjust to the college game will be critical. And it's not just the physical aspect of the college game, but also the mental. In a short interview on GoGriz, Josh Vazquez spoke to the intensity of the college game versus high school, and the mental acuity required. These are big adjustments for kids already adjusting to college life to start with.

Too, there is eligibility issue surrounding Gaskin. Seems crazy to me that because a kid goes to one school and transfers after his freshman year, that he's only allowed to play another three years.

grizzlyjournal said:
College Sports Madness has been posting its 2019-20 CSM Too 144 Basketball Ranking previews daily over the past month. The Griz start the season in the CSM poll ranked at 126. The only other Big Sky team earning a ranking is Eastern Washington, at 113. The preview has numerous factual and roster errors, but nonetheless shows significant respect for the Griz and seniors Sayeed Pridgett and Kendal Manuel with its ranking. A good place to start out.

The EAGS are ranked too low.

GoldenEagle said:
grizzlyjournal said:

The EAGS are ranked too low.

I agree.

Back