• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FAB FIVE FROSH -- front & center

grizzlyjournal

Got to meet five of the six Montana Griz class of 2019 at the Montana women's volleyball game tonight. At the game, but not there when I took the photo was Eddy Egun. Egun and Naseem Gaskin are redshirt frosh. All very friendly & outgoing. Looks like they're already in team-building mode. Eager to see these young Griz in action. Also talked to Timmy Falls, who had a cast on his right hand. He told me he should be back on the floor in 3-4 weeks. Go Griz.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1172719431383801856[/media]

grizzlyjournal said:
Got to meet five of the six Montana Griz class of 2019 at the Montana women's volleyball game tonight. At the game, but not there when I took the photo was Eddy Egun. Egun and Naseem Gaskin are redshirt frosh. All very friendly & outgoing. Looks like they're already in team-building mode. Eager to see these young Griz in action. Also talked to Timmy Falls, who had a cast on his right hand. He told me he should be back on the floor in 3-4 weeks. Go Griz.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1172719431383801856[/media]

A band of brothers!

Just met the newcomers today. They were all personable and easy to talk with. Owens and Carter Hollinger physically aren't your typical Big Sky Freshmen. They are both very athletic. Cannot wait to see this group perform on the court. Gaskin is good sized for a guard. He wants to play and will be applying for eligibility this season. Also met Steadman, we definitely could use him this season, but it won't happen. He already reminds me of former Big Sky players, Wiley and Bolomboy.

I also heard many great things about Mack Anderson's progress over the season. For those who are disappointed in very little weight gain, I did have a few give me great insight regarding that, which nobody here has come up with. Anderson's body build isn't the type that can accommodate a lot of weight gain in a quick manner. He would be risking injury problems with rapid weight gain. His muscle mass, weight gain, etc will have to be done slowly. I spoke to former GRIZ bigs who put on too much weight way too soon, which caused nagging injuries.

Point guard is up for grabs. The team has the challenge of bonding and getting to know each other's games. That is hard for a coach to gauge turning the preseason, practices, etc. I thoroughly expect DeCuire to experiment a lot with lineups in out of conference play. I do know, all the young guys will be in the mix to show what they can contribute. Speaking of which, I think these young guys are the main reason why Jordan Gregory was chosen as a grad assistant. He can relate to them well, and can guide their development as well as anyone can. I am stoked and excited to have Jordan Gregory on as part of this staff. I think he will be a terrific coach, with time. He is very excited for the opportunity as well.

With all that said, let's be patient with this year's team. They are very talented, with great potential. The adjustment to college ball will take some time for them individually and as a group. When they do put it all together, their domain will be at the top of the Big Sky.

I will echo mtgrizrule’s sentiments in terms of be patient with this years team. While there is as much talent on this team FAB FIVE have yet to play a college game and it will probably take until conference time before they begin to jell.
I had the opportunity to visit with a few of the new recruits last evening and came away impressed with their physical presence as well as their commitment to the program. It’s very clear to see that this is Syeed’s team. He is very vocal and truly committed to win every game he laces up for. It’s also clear to see by their interactions with each other that in the few weeks they’ve been together there’s a lot of chemistry there. The addition of Jordon Gregory to the staff will pay big dividends from the 3 pt. line. GO GRIZ

mtgrizrule said:
Just met the newcomers today. They were all personable and easy to talk with. Owens and Carter Hollinger physically aren't your typical Big Sky Freshmen. They are both very athletic. Cannot wait to see this group perform on the court. Gaskin is good sized for a guard. He wants to play and will be applying for eligibility this season. Also met Steadman, we definitely could use him this season, but it won't happen. He already reminds me of former Big Sky players, Wiley and Bolomboy.

I also heard many great things about Mack Anderson's progress over the season. For those who are disappointed in very little weight gain, I did have a few give me great insight regarding that, which nobody here has come up with. Anderson's body build isn't the type that can accommodate a lot of weight gain in a quick manner. He would be risking injury problems with rapid weight gain. His muscle mass, weight gain, etc will have to be done slowly. I spoke to former GRIZ bigs who put on too much weight way too soon, which caused nagging injuries.

Point guard is up for grabs. The team has the challenge of bonding and getting to know each other's games. That is hard for a coach to gauge turning the preseason, practices, etc. I thoroughly expect DeCuire to experiment a lot with lineups in out of conference play. I do know, all the young guys will be in the mix to show what they can contribute. Speaking of which, I think these young guys are the main reason why Jordan Gregory was chosen as a grad assistant. He can relate to them well, and can guide their development as well as anyone can. I am stoked and excited to have Jordan Gregory on as part of this staff. I think he will be a terrific coach, with time. He is very excited for the opportunity as well.

With all that said, let's be patient with this year's team. They are very talented, with great potential. The adjustment to college ball will take some time for them individually and as a group. When they do put it all together, their domain will be at the top of the Big Sky.

Good stuff - thanks, Rule!

Jordan Gregory as a grad assistant is news that merits its own discussion. That is great news. Who did he replace with the grad assistantship?

Back