• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Softball fall season thread

alabamagrizzly

Weekend #1 in the books. 2-0 v Carroll. Outscored em 31-1 scoring 15 in the first and 16 in the second game. The team hit for a combined .400 while the pitching staff allowed a 0.50 ERA.

Cami Sellers was 6 of 9 with 5 extra base hits and 8 RBIs. Katie Pippel, Jessica McAlister, and Morgan Johnson all picked up from last year going a combined 12/21 with 7 extra base hits and 14 RBIs.

Maygen McGrath, Anne Marie Petrino, Brooklyn Weisgram, and Kylie Hayton all struggled a bit going a combined 5/23. To her credit, Weisgram did hit a homer, the lone extra base hit of these four.

The pitching was stellar, with only three hits allowed by the team and 17 strikeouts by Tristan Achenbach and Fr Ashley Ward in their 10 innings worked. Michaela Hood was and still is the biggest question mark of this season. Although she only allowed 1 hit through her 4 innings, she allowed the only opposing run and failed to strike out a single batter. There is definitely something different from her first 1.5 years here compared to the latter part of her career. Hoping she can still manage to be successful this year despite whatever is going on with her.

The Fr that played showed well. Ward’s success on the mound was matched by her 2/2 at the plate with a homer. Kendall Curtis started both games at 2B(Lexi Knauss didn’t play) and went 3/6 with 6 runs and 3 RBI. Jaxie Klucewich got some valuable IF experience and Julie Phelps didn’t see the field.

Had a travel conflict and missed the games... I sure hope the forecast for inclement weather won't mess with this weekend's games!
• With only three rostered pitchers, coach Meuchel seems to be giving solid signs of support for Hood. It seems pretty obvious that Ashley Ward will get tossed into the fire immediately!
• An early practice team photo showed what I'm pretty certian is Lexi Knauss with her right arm in a sling, so... plenty of opportunity for Curtis and possibly Klucewich to get solid experience at 2B.
• I believe Julie Phelps missed much of her senior year because of injury. I'm speculating that she's possibly still on the mend.
This has been a self-defining team. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how some of last year's frosh develop through early spring ball. This team could really develop into an offensive power. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
Had a travel conflict and missed the games... I sure hope the forecast for inclement weather won't mess with this weekend's games!
• With only three rostered pitchers, coach Meuchel seems to be giving solid signs of support for Hood. It seems pretty obvious that Ashley Ward will get tossed into the fire immediately!
• An early practice team photo showed what I'm pretty certian is Lexi Knauss with her right arm in a sling, so... plenty of opportunity for Curtis and possibly Klucewich to get solid experience at 2B.
• I believe Julie Phelps missed much of her senior year because of injury. I'm speculating that she's possibly still on the mend.
This has been a self-defining team. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how some of last year's frosh develop through early spring ball. This team could really develop into an offensive power. Go Griz.
I had a travel conflict too! My problem is I live 2,000 away :D .

Good update GJ. I was a little worried when not seeing Knauss’s name in any box scores and seen in an article that three people were gone from last years team. I’m guessing though that it was about-to-be So catcher Reilly Williams who left because she’s no longer on the roster. If she transferred, I hope she does well.

I’m sure Coach is trusting Hood because for one, she’s still better then half the pitchers in the league despite not being anywhere close to how dominant she was pre-injury. For another, coach knows you have to have atleast three pitchers to always have a fresh arm and to have more options to call on. I’m guessing we’ll see two pitchers for sure when the new commits are announced later in the year.

alabamagrizzly said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Good update GJ. I was a little worried when not seeing Knauss’s name in any box scores and seen in an article that three people were gone from last years team. I’m guessing though that it was about-to-be So catcher Reilly Williams who left because she’s no longer on the roster. If she transferred, I hope she does well.

I’m sure Coach is trusting Hood because for one, she’s still better then half the pitchers in the league despite not being anywhere close to how dominant she was pre-injury. For another, coach knows you have to have atleast three pitchers to always have a fresh arm and to have more options to call on. I’m guessing we’ll see two pitchers for sure when the new commits are announced later in the year.

Regarding Reilly Williams... This is pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Reilly on the North Idaho College roster, and in uniform this weekend, when the NIC Cards (of Coeur D' Alene) come to Missoula for a 4-team round-robin tourney. The NIC website has not been updated for 2019-20, but the Cards are coached by none other than Don Don Williams, who happens to be Reilly's mother. The Cards have won back-to-back North West Athletic Assn. championships in softball. It's pure guesswork on my part, though. There's no NIC roster, and there's no coach profile for Don Don Williams, either (though there are profiles for two assistant coaches). I guess we'll find out this weekend. Regardless, Reilly is an excellent hitter with good strike-zone recognition and outstanding bat velocity. Defensively, however, Reilly was a solid "#3" behind Jessica McAlister and McKenna Tjaden. McKenna is an outstanding defensive catcher (and a good hitter, as well) and it didn't seem likely to me that Williams would get much time behind the plate with both McAlister and Tjaden ahead of her in the lineup.

grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Regarding Reilly Williams... This is pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Reilly on the North Idaho College roster, and in uniform this weekend, when the NIC Cards (of Coeur D' Alene) come to Missoula for a 4-team round-robin tourney. The NIC website has not been updated for 2019-20, but the Cards are coached by none other than Don Don Williams, who happens to be Reilly's mother. The Cards have won back-to-back North West Athletic Assn. championships in softball. It's pure guesswork on my part, though. There's no NIC roster, and there's no coach profile for Don Don Williams, either (though there are profiles for two assistant coaches). I guess we'll find out this weekend. Regardless, Reilly is an excellent hitter with good strike-zone recognition and outstanding bat velocity. Defensively, however, Reilly was a solid "#3" behind Jessica McAlister and McKenna Tjaden. McKenna is an outstanding defensive catcher (and a good hitter, as well) and it didn't seem likely to me that Williams would get much time behind the plate with both McAlister and Tjaden ahead of her in the lineup.

That would be really great for her and I hope it’s true. I really liked her coming out of high school and thought she was gonna be a gem. I remember she was pretty strong defensively also and was known to be a good field general. When she was recruited, for one we didn’t know for sure what we had in McAlister and also she was playing 3rd at the time. I also figured Tjaden would be used more as a utility player and not just a backup catcher. Coaches definitely know better then me though :D .

retire26 said:
Don Don is the new head coach at Southern Utah and Reilly is at a small school in Georgia

Thanks for the update, retire26. Augusta College of Augusta, Georgia is where Reilly has transferred. I've never before heard of this NCAA DII conference, which consists of schools in the Carolinas and Georgia. I wish Reilly the best.

Back