• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2020 Recruiting: 4 Signed & 4 Transfers

Cleaning up the list:
Quincy McGriff has trimmed Montana from consideration
Kimani Holt has verballed to Portland State
Xavier Dusell has verballed to Northern Colorado
Jaylen Nowell has verballed to Washington
Jhaylon Martinez has verballed to UNLV

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Cleaning up the list:
Quincy McGriff has trimmed Montana from consideration
Jaylen Nowell has verballed to Washington
Not in Peyton Watson's final 8 either....

Jaylen Nowell played for Washington the last 2 seasons and was the Pac12 player of the year last season.....drafted in the second round of the NBA draft in June....I guess he's not coming to Missoula....

sacstateman said:
Jaylen Nowell played for Washington the last 2 seasons and was the Pac12 player of the year last season.....drafted in the second round of the NBA draft in June....I guess he's not coming to Missoula....

He meant Shane Nowell, his little brother. Who's playing basketball in Sacramento these days? It must suck to see us get all of these great recruits from California.

Grizbballfan14 said:
sacstateman said:

He meant Shane Nowell, his little brother. Who's playing basketball in Sacramento these days? It must suck to see us get all of these great recruits from California.

Yep, my bad...meant Shane who has a Griz offer but all indications are that he’s following his brother to UW

Grizbballfan14 said:
sacstateman said:

I have to commend your coach for knowing where the ballers are....He would never field a team with kids from Montana only.....BTW 14....I'm not Carnac the Magnificent, so I can't read minds....

sacstateman said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
sacstateman said:

I have to commend your coach for knowing where the ballers are....He would never field a team with kids from Montana only.....BTW 14....I'm not Carnac the Magnificent, so I can't read minds....
We might start 3 Montanans this year and still sweep Sac State... also you dont have to read minds, simply reading this forum would have told you that we offered Shane Nowell.

People make mistakes and type the wrong name sometimes. As arrogant as we can come off, i can admit that none of us egrizzers can read minds either. The difference is that everyone on this thread with some basic level of common sense realized it was a typo.

Sorry I don't live and breathe griz bball so I don't absorb egriz like some do....It's obvious from your vast egriz experience (joined April '19 with 43 posts) that you are among the most knowledgeable egrizzers....Once again, I'm sorry I assumed what I read to be a mistake but obviously I was wrong.....GEEZ....

sacstateman said:
Sorry I don't live and breathe griz bball so I don't absorb egriz like some do....It's obvious from your vast egriz experience (joined April '19 with 43 posts) that you are among the most knowledgeable egrizzers....Once again, I'm sorry I assumed what I read to be a mistake but obviously I was wrong.....GEEZ....

If we were all at the MO Club, discussing Griz Hoops (with occasional reference to the Hornets), we'd probably have this resolved with a few laughs and another round (most of the time, anyway). :)

sacstateman said:

I was just calling you out for unnecessarily being a dick over a simple error. I never claimed to be knowledgeable, and if I am, it has nothing to do with my posting experience on a fan forum.

I commend you though. It must be incredibly difficult to be a Sac State fan, having never won a big sky conference title in Football or Basketball.

Grizbballfan14 said:
sacstateman said:

I was just calling you out for unnecessarily being a dick over a simple error. I never claimed to be knowledgeable, and if I am, it has nothing to do with my posting experience on a fan forum.

I commend you though. It must be incredibly difficult to be a Sac State fan, having never won a big sky conference title in Football or Basketball.

Talk about being a dick....with your first 46 posts you are well on your way to becoming PR Jr.

sacstateman said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
sacstateman said:

California has 40 million people and Montana has 1 million. The metro area of Sacramento has twice as many people as Montana. So yes it does make sense. The thing I can't get is how California schools are not more dominant in both basketball and football. How the aren't USC or UCLA in the Elite 8 every single year? If you look at the top 25 high school recruits last year in the state of California only ONE stayed in state. Only one..that is crazy.

UncleRico said:
sacstateman said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
sacstateman said:

California has 40 million people and Montana has 1 million. The metro area of Sacramento has twice as many people as Montana. So yes it does make sense. The thing I can't get is how California schools are not more dominant in both basketball and football. How the aren't USC or UCLA in the Elite 8 every single year? If you look at the top 25 high school recruits last year in the state of California only ONE stayed in state. Only one..that is crazy.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool

You are so right Uncle Rico....The big, well supported schools in California should be near the top in the revenue sports every year with the amount of talent in state....if you look at Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Arizona State, they have plenty of California talent in both BB and FB.....Sac State has to try to compete with virtually zero support from the state....The University system gets the cream and the Cal State system splits what is left (not to mention the almost tuition free JC's which there are over 100 campuses)....We do have one claim to fame that all Sac State BB fans should be proud of and that is our APR rating for the last 3 years...Here is a little press release for you all to peruse.....

SACRAMENTO STATE THE ONLY PUBLIC SCHOOL IN CALIFORNIA TO EVER RECEIVE NCAA’S APR PUBLIC RECOGNITION IN MEN’S HOOPS
May 13, 2019

SACRAMENTO -- With the recent announcement of the NCAA's Public Recognition Awards, Sacramento State remains the only public university in the state of California to ever receive the award in the sport of men's basketball. The award is given annually to institutions for having Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores that rank among the top 10 percent nationally.

Making the achievement even more impressive is the Hornets have now received the recognition three years in a row.

Since the start of the APR in 2004-05, only five schools in the state of California have received APR Public Recognition honors in men's basketball, and four of those are private institutions. Stanford, Loyola Marymount, San Diego and Pacific are the others.

In fact, of the five California schools to receive the award, only Stanford (six times) has more public recognitions than Sacramento State (three times).

Nationally, Sacramento State is one of just 18 of the 351 Div. I men's basketball programs to earn the award each of the last three years, and one of just two teams in the Big Sky Conference to ever receive the honor in men's basketball.

The NCAA tracks the classroom performance of student-athletes on every Division I sports team through its APR, which provides an annual scorecard of academic achievement. The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation in the calculation and provides a measure of each team's academic performance.

The Hornets will see three more players - Marcus Graves, Jordan Tolbert, Kevin Hicks - graduate later this week, increasing the number of men's basketball student-athletes to receive their degrees during head coach Brian Katz's tenure (2008-pres.). Once those three walk across the stage, of the 38 Hornets that have expired their eligibility during the Katz era, 37 will have graduated.

Sacramento State currently has a team grade point average of 3.045, and has posted term grade point averages of 3.0 or better six times in the last 10 semesters.

This includes the mighty UCLA, Cal, San Diego St., UC Santa Barbara and Fresno St....We are proud of our STUDENT/Athletes especially our basketball players....

That is great academically for Sac St. But the one I can't get that isn't dominant in both football and basketball EVERY year is USC. Talk about being in a prime location for both BB and FB. They are private and I'm sure have huge endowments (especially with Hollywood stars buying spots). But I also would think UCLA and Cal would be so attractive for kids in California. Really good schools in nice areas with nice campuses. I really don't get how they are so average every year in football and have been pretty average in basketball in recent years.

sacstateman said:
You are so right Uncle Rico....The big, well supported schools in California should be near the top in the revenue sports every year with the amount of talent in state....if you look at Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Arizona State, they have plenty of California talent in both BB and FB.....Sac State has to try to compete with virtually zero support from the state....The University system gets the cream and the Cal State system splits what is left (not to mention the almost tuition free JC's which there are over 100 campuses)....We do have one claim to fame that all Sac State BB fans should be proud of and that is our APR rating for the last 3 years...Here is a little press release for you all to peruse.....

SACRAMENTO STATE THE ONLY PUBLIC SCHOOL IN CALIFORNIA TO EVER RECEIVE NCAA’S APR PUBLIC RECOGNITION IN MEN’S HOOPS
May 13, 2019

SACRAMENTO -- With the recent announcement of the NCAA's Public Recognition Awards, Sacramento State remains the only public university in the state of California to ever receive the award in the sport of men's basketball. The award is given annually to institutions for having Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores that rank among the top 10 percent nationally.

Making the achievement even more impressive is the Hornets have now received the recognition three years in a row.

Since the start of the APR in 2004-05, only five schools in the state of California have received APR Public Recognition honors in men's basketball, and four of those are private institutions. Stanford, Loyola Marymount, San Diego and Pacific are the others.

In fact, of the five California schools to receive the award, only Stanford (six times) has more public recognitions than Sacramento State (three times).

Nationally, Sacramento State is one of just 18 of the 351 Div. I men's basketball programs to earn the award each of the last three years, and one of just two teams in the Big Sky Conference to ever receive the honor in men's basketball.

The NCAA tracks the classroom performance of student-athletes on every Division I sports team through its APR, which provides an annual scorecard of academic achievement. The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation in the calculation and provides a measure of each team's academic performance.

The Hornets will see three more players - Marcus Graves, Jordan Tolbert, Kevin Hicks - graduate later this week, increasing the number of men's basketball student-athletes to receive their degrees during head coach Brian Katz's tenure (2008-pres.). Once those three walk across the stage, of the 38 Hornets that have expired their eligibility during the Katz era, 37 will have graduated.

Sacramento State currently has a team grade point average of 3.045, and has posted term grade point averages of 3.0 or better six times in the last 10 semesters.

This includes the mighty UCLA, Cal, San Diego St., UC Santa Barbara and Fresno St....We are proud of our STUDENT/Athletes especially our basketball players....

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Cleaning up the list:
Quincy McGriff has verballed to UTEP
Shane Nowell has verballed to Washington

Mitchell Saxen's now off the Board with a verbal to St. Marys

Griz had two recruits on campus this weekend. One taller guy (6’6”-6’8”). And then a guy probably about 6’2”. They were in uniform and getting pics taken. Didn’t ask names so I’m not much help.

BDizzle said:
Griz had two recruits on campus this weekend. One taller guy (6’6”-6’8”). And then a guy probably about 6’2”. They were in uniform and getting pics taken. Didn’t ask names so I’m not much help.

Cole Anderson (2021 point guard) of Fresno, CA posted his visit on twitter.
[media]https://twitter.com/Cole3Anderson/status/1181045122261114880[/media]

grizzlyjournal said:
BDizzle said:

Cole Anderson (2021 point guard) of Fresno, CA posted his visit on twitter.
[media]https://twitter.com/Cole3Anderson/status/1181045122261114880[/media]

Yup. He was the shorter of the two.

I've seen Anderson a couple of times and if you can land him, he will be all BSC at least 2 years...maybe 3 years....he is the real deal....

Back