• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Facilities

hm.grwn.grizfan

DONOR
Are there plans in the works for more upgrades? If so, where are we at in the fundraising stage? It’s a non-stop arms race. Weber state just upgraded its locker room this offseason and MSU is nearing the final stages of its fundraising stage for phase 1 of their master plan, which looks pretty stinking good. Where is Montana in this arms race?

They have a work-study student trying to find the list of potential donors. Some random consulting firm accidentally mailed the list to an address in bozo.

There are Montana high school stadiums better than Weber's. It sucks. Not only that, but I don't think Weber could draw 15,000 fans. There's no arms race there.

The thing that stands out if you tra el to these big sky conference games is how little recruiting advantage good facilities offer.

UM should just join the enrollment arms race.

griz4life said:
The thing that stands out if you tra el to these big sky conference games is how little recruiting advantage good facilities offer.

:eek:
Wait. You DON’T think facilities play a part in recruiting?

UM still owes millions from the previous upgrade. Don't think anything is going to happen until that's paid off.

hokeyfine said:
UM still owes millions from the previous upgrade. Don't think anything is going to happen until that's paid off.

Owes millions? I thought this was 100% privately funded from donors?

Montana is the school every program in the Big Sky is trying to catch facility wise. What makes out facilities great for sports are the fans. Montana has some very loyal, smart, and passionate fans. They have witnessed a lot of playoff football and NCAA basketball over the yesrs and know their stuff in a lot of areas. The Grizzlies travel very well for a small university. I saw dozens of Grizzly fans last night in Eugene (actually more Griz fans than duck fans). You just can't make or buy that support. What Montana has is very special as most fans in Missoula know. We have our own Mountain religion and it's called Grizzly Athletics.

ilovethecats said:
griz4life said:

Not to the extent people think it does.

griz4life said:
ilovethecats said:
griz4life said:

Disagree. Just because the U of M loaded the gun and then blew their toes off the past 10 years - does not mean facilities don’t matter. Absent the self inflicted wounds the Griz would own the BSC and would be battling at the top with NDSU. Facilities matter a lot and so do fans. I would say their is also a direct correlation with attendance and facilities. EWU is an exception, but that is because the Griz were completely asleep at the damn wheel for some time now. That is clearly changing and EWU has already started to lose in the recruiting race against UM and even MSU. Times be a changing and if you don’t have top facilities, then you will fall behind. Inferior programs certainly won’t be considered for moving up.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Are there plans in the works for more upgrades? If so, where are we at in the fundraising stage? It’s a non-stop arms race. Weber state just upgraded its locker room this offseason and MSU is nearing the final stages of its fundraising stage for phase 1 of their master plan, which looks pretty stinking good. Where is Montana in this arms race?

Where Montana in this arms race????? Uhhhhh we’re running the fucking show. Have you ever been to Missoula? Have you ever seen any other BSC teams facilities?? Every university in the FCS is trying to catch up to Montana. Pay attention bud

Copper Griz said:
griz4life said:
ilovethecats said:
griz4life said:

Disagree. Just because the U of M loaded the gun and then blew their toes off the past 10 years - does not mean facilities don’t matter. Absent the self inflicted wounds the Griz would own the BSC and would be battling at the top with NDSU. Facilities matter a lot and so do fans. I would say their is also a direct correlation with attendance and facilities. EWU is an exception, but that is because the Griz were completely asleep at the damn wheel for some time now. That is clearly changing and EWU has already started to lose in the recruiting race against UM and even MSU. Times be a changing and if you don’t have top facilities, then you will fall behind. Inferior programs certainly won’t be considered for moving up.

I agree with life. Facilities do have an impact, but it is quite a bit further down the list than most believe.

Eastern has had great recruits dating back to Bashir Levingston, Jesse Chatman, Josh Blankenship- just to name one group that beat the Griz silly 17 years ago.

I can name several teams with facilities worse than Montana's that had better recruits -- starting with every FCS champion the Griz lost to, with the exception of Marshall.

I see I'm coming at people's beliefs pretty hard here. Should we lighten things up, maybe move on to the resurrection?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Where Montana in this arms race????? Uhhhhh we’re running the f***[*] show. Have you ever been to Missoula? Have you ever seen any other BSC teams facilities?? Every university in the FCS is trying to catch up to Montana. Pay attention bud

I’m an alumni, and lived in Missoula for 7 years so I’m well aware of the facilities we have. The point is not to get complacent and allow others the time to ante up and match our facilities bud

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Where Montana in this arms race????? Uhhhhh we’re running the f***[*] show. Have you ever been to Missoula? Have you ever seen any other BSC teams facilities?? Every university in the FCS is trying to catch up to Montana. Pay attention bud

I’m an alumni, and lived in Missoula for 7 years so I’m well aware of the facilities we have. The point is not to get complacent and allow others the time to ante up and match our facilities bud

As an alumnus you should also understand that football facilities are at the bottom of the list of issues facing the university right now.

griz4life said:
Eastern has had great recruits dating back to Bashir Levingston, Jesse Chatman, Josh Blankenship- just to name one group that beat the Griz silly 17 years ago.

I can name several teams with facilities worse than Montana's that had better recruits -- starting with every FCS champion the Griz lost to, with the exception of Marshall.

I see I'm coming at people's beliefs pretty hard here. Should we lighten things up, maybe move on to the resurrection?

I think you might be overstating things when you say “coming at peoples beliefs pretty hard.” That is comical. It is a football forum and the world will go on if people don’t agree with each other’s opinions about sports facilities. Some people take themselves and their opinions a bit too seriously. :roll:

Htowngriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

As an alumnus you should also understand that football facilities are at the bottom of the list of issues facing the university right now.

Actually, as an alumnus I would argue that a top shelf athletic department with top shelf teams and facilities is one of the sharpest tools in any universities’ marketing belt.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Htowngriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Actually, as an alumnus I would argue that a top shelf athletic department with top shelf teams and facilities is one of the sharpest tools in any universities’ marketing belt.

We have THE top flight athletic dept in the conference.

Im always for supporting the Athletic Dept. and take great pride in how much nicer facilities we have than the rest of the BSC. I think everyone is just confused on where you're seeing that we may be falling behind?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:

The basketball team is getting a brand new "basketball center" and "equipment center". 2nd phase construction on it all is slated for Spring of 2020. The basketball teams will have some top notch facilities once completed. Not to mention, the new floor. IMO, the mens basketball team has more potential to get UM more visibility on the national stage. Not taking anything away from football. UM isn't slowing down.

Back