• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Alger vs Hauck Pt. Deaux

argh! said:
garizzalies said:
argh! said:
garizzalies said:
Hopefully Mr Alger aged better than that hit piece. The stank of sour grapes. So the coach didn’t like talking about injuries and negative press? Most good coaches are like that. Who’s team was Alger supporting anyway? Good gracious why not just send Mariani’s Xrays to the opposing team so they know where to target him?
And Hauck was so evil to take a better job for him and his family; but holy cow, that’s exactly what Alger did, and everyone else. So?
The pejorative theme of the article is simply an Alpha hot-take—Hauck couldn’t win the chipper—which I am sure Alger lifted from here. I guess that must have been the best slant he could come up with to fit the overall negative tone. Because, although the positives of Hauck’s tenure were unprecedented, if any of that got mentioned it was simply to set up another shot taken. Why torch that bridge; what happened to taking the high road.
And not getting a chipper is not Hauck’s legacy; to hack on that seems so cheap, especially looking back now. 80 wins is unbelievable, and I would have traded anything to suffer thru more lost chippers instead of the disastrous last decade, especially Hauck’s refusal to comment on dumb things. :roll: I wonder if Mr Alger looks back at that article and cringes like most of us.

apparently you didn't notice how alger did point out how remarkable hauck's record was, how hard he works, etc....
Apparently, you can read about as well as Alger writes. I did point that exact thing out.
You must have totally skipped this part of my post: “...if any of that got mentioned it was simply to set up another shot taken. Why torch that bridge; what happened to taking the high road.”

i can read just fine, thanks. alger called hauck's record remarkable and said how hard he works, which you don't point ou. instead you wrote "if any of that got mentioned" as if it was a hypothetical, and then you added to your hypothetical by saying it would be 'setting him up to take a shot at him'. if he even wrote the praise, which you don't directly acknowledge. that's the gist of what you wrote. seems like you were the one who didn't read what you were commenting on, being too busy denigrating the work of a (then) kid, who did indeed praise hauck on those accomplishments.
I went back and reviewed the article again, and suggest you do too. I believe it is a complete hatchet job, hell bent on making Hauck look as bad as possible. That’s the “gist” of it, and I don’t even think Mr Alger would deny that, so why are you? I would at least hope you could admit the overall theme was more negative than positive in tone. Which proves my point.
Hell the first para is really the only one to address the positives, and it includes this shot: “with no hardware to show for it.” It only gets worse from there.
Why? The greatest coach in the history of the BSC was moving on and that’s the article you want to run? So cheap. Like I don’t even think the Bobcat beat writer would stoop so low. I actually thought Alger was above that shit, but maybe he was just a “kid.” Ha! Meanwhile, PR is getting heat for calling him “immature.” So which is it?
I counted 39 paragraphs in the article and every one of them had a negative tone or took or set up some shot at Hauck, except this one paragraph (arguably) did not: “And it was.” Please point out another paragraph that doesn’t, or kindly apologize for being a dumbass.

UMcheer2000 said:
The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
Hopefully Mr Alger aged better than that hit piece. The stank of sour grapes. So the coach didn’t like talking about injuries and negative press? Most good coaches are like that. Who’s team was Alger supporting anyway? Good gracious why not just send Mariani’s Xrays to the opposing team so they know where to target him?
And Hauck was so evil to take a better job for him and his family; but holy cow, that’s exactly what Alger did, and everyone else. So?
The pejorative theme of the article is simply an Alpha hot-take—Hauck couldn’t win the chipper—which I am sure Alger lifted from here. I guess that must have been the best slant he could come up with to fit the overall negative tone. Because, although the positives of Hauck’s tenure were unprecedented, if any of that got mentioned it was simply to set up another shot taken. Why torch that bridge; what happened to taking the high road.
And not getting a chipper is not Hauck’s legacy; to hack on that seems so cheap, especially looking back now. 80 wins is unbelievable, and I would have traded anything to suffer thru more lost chippers instead of the disastrous last decade, especially Hauck’s refusal to comment on dumb things. :roll: I wonder if Mr Alger looks back at that article and cringes like most of us.

Yup. Alger had put out his piece over the holiday vacation, for another parting shot at Hauck. And I agree, it was sour grapes.

Alger wanted Hauck's legacy to be no national championships, but despite what he and a few said, that never was and never will be Hauck's football legacy at UM for that stint. His legacy is that he continued to build an incredible program and keep it running at a very high level. The 3 nat'l championship appearances and another semifinal appearance, all in 7 years. 7 conference championships in a row. Only 1 conference loss in the last 4 years. Many players in the NFL. And many other positive traits about the program.

The only real blemish was too many player incidents, a number of which ended up fine for the players but still got a lot of bad publicity. Lost to some was that Hauck was a huge disciplinarian who sent the offenders (who had really done something wrong) packing right away. Note that there appears to have been no bad player behavior since he returned to UM.

The Kaimin stuff was minor. I personally liked how dealt with the Kaimin. As I have said, they were immature jerks. Hopefully, at least some of them learned a lesson. I wonder how long Alger would last at his current job if he acted the same way as he did at UM, and with Hauck? Here's a link to what the UNLV sportswriter said about Hauck. All positive. "Bobby Hauck was a class act with student reporters". My assumption is that the UNLV sports reporters were also class acts, unlike some of the Kaimin reporters.

https://www.unlvfreepress.com/bobby-hauck-was-a-class-act-with-student-reporters/

Again, I've seen a few things written by Alger in recent years. It was good. Could it could be that the talent now is combined with more maturity and less confrontation?

big game bob :jack:

Tell me about the Big game Cats..
*aside from being lucky the last couple years.

Any NC’s?
*The mythical 1984 season doesn’t count

Any deep playoff runs?

:roll:

What exactly is considered a deep playoff run... Not saying the Cats have (because I don't think they have either) but I do wonder what it really is... Is it quarterfinlas, or semifinals? Do you get to say you had a deeper run in the playoffs if you get a first round buy, and one win gets you into the Quarterfinals? Or is it however far the Griz get, as long as it is a game farther than MSU did...

SACCAT66 said:
UMcheer2000 said:
The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
Yup. Alger had put out his piece over the holiday vacation, for another parting shot at Hauck. And I agree, it was sour grapes.

Alger wanted Hauck's legacy to be no national championships, but despite what he and a few said, that never was and never will be Hauck's football legacy at UM for that stint. His legacy is that he continued to build an incredible program and keep it running at a very high level. The 3 nat'l championship appearances and another semifinal appearance, all in 7 years. 7 conference championships in a row. Only 1 conference loss in the last 4 years. Many players in the NFL. And many other positive traits about the program.

The only real blemish was too many player incidents, a number of which ended up fine for the players but still got a lot of bad publicity. Lost to some was that Hauck was a huge disciplinarian who sent the offenders (who had really done something wrong) packing right away. Note that there appears to have been no bad player behavior since he returned to UM.

The Kaimin stuff was minor. I personally liked how dealt with the Kaimin. As I have said, they were immature jerks. Hopefully, at least some of them learned a lesson. I wonder how long Alger would last at his current job if he acted the same way as he did at UM, and with Hauck? Here's a link to what the UNLV sportswriter said about Hauck. All positive. "Bobby Hauck was a class act with student reporters". My assumption is that the UNLV sports reporters were also class acts, unlike some of the Kaimin reporters.

https://www.unlvfreepress.com/bobby-hauck-was-a-class-act-with-student-reporters/

Again, I've seen a few things written by Alger in recent years. It was good. Could it could be that the talent now is combined with more maturity and less confrontation?

big game bob :jack:

Tell me about the Big game Cats..
*aside from being lucky the last couple years.

Any NC’s?
*The mythical 1984 season doesn’t count

Any deep playoff runs?

:roll:

What exactly is considered a deep playoff run... Not saying the Cats have (because I don't think they have either) but I do wonder what it really is... Is it quarterfinlas, or semifinals? Do you get to say you had a deeper run in the playoffs if you get a first round buy, and one win gets you into the Quarterfinals? Or is it however far the Griz get, as long as it is a game farther than MSU did...

If the cats can consistently sport a good record—win/tie for the BSC, have a stadium that doesn’t look like a litter box with quonset huts on one end and doesn’t have a worn out trail of tears leading out one end...

And can successfully bid for a first round game..

Go for it?

ari gold said:
PlayerRep said:
ari gold said:
What is ironic about this whole thread is that Alger is here on eGriz very maturely posting that he regrets some of the stuff he did, and not taking the bait from other eGriz posters, but is continuously bashed for being an "immature jerk" 10 years ago. If we want to get into talking about being immature, we can start with a lot of the posters in this thread that seem to be hellbent on dragging him down for an incident that happened 10 years ago. That situation didn't play out very well back then, but both sides were "immature" in the way they handled it.

As it would turn out, and despite that incident, Tyson is currently writing for probably the best sports journalism company out there. If you don't subscribe, you should, because the stories the Athletic pumps out are great on multiple fronts and cover a multitude of sports and leagues, both collegiate and professional.

Why don't you address the posters who have been saying the positive things about what Alger did 10 years ago, and which aren't accurate? Then, some of us wouldn't have to correct them.

The posters correcting the record didn't start the thread, nor did they start with the correcting of the record. Please direct your comments in the right direction.

The posters doing the correcting aren't immature jerks, or being that. But you are coming close to being a jerk with your mischaracterion.

I'm not calling any of the "facts" here into question. I think there is validity on most of the points you have made from a fact and timeline basis. It's not really the context of what you wrote that outwardly speaks to your dislike of Alger, but how it was written. It's one thing to try and make sure everyone has the corrects facts and another to take shots like "he was and is an okay sportswriter" and say things like "Alger wanted Hauck's legacy to be no national championships" when he never said such a thing. You may not see it, but your disdain for him is pretty blatant, despite the attempt to say you are just trying to correct those who aren't accuratly portraying what happened 10 years ago.

I have no dislike or distain for him. Maybe you should stick to the facts. Or open your eyes and not biased. I just don’t like what he and other Kaimin people were doing about 10 years ago on this subject.

By the way, I have not seen anything to indicate Alger is some terrific sportswriter. Is following Oregon like he does, some great job for a good journalist 10 years out of school? I don’t know. Just asking.

Why do you think he said what he did about what Haick’s legacy was? Do you think the last piece showed any respect for Hauck, or that he liked Hauck?

My view is that if he hadn’t been getting encouragement and bad advice from the out of state visiting advisor, he wouldn’t have made the mistakes he made 10 years ago. Talk to O’Day about this sometime. I have and did long ago.

Interview with Alger, the beat writer, in MIssoulian:

"A: I say this was all due respect to my alma mater: If Oregon shows up focused, the Griz don’t stand a chance. There are just too many athletes on this Oregon team for Montana to keep up. And if there’s one thing that Cristobal harps on, it’s focus. If he senses his starters are overlooking the Griz, he’ll put in the twos. And because of the top-level recruiting over the last two seasons, Oregon’s twos are awfully good as well.

I get the sense the Ducks are going to be aggressive on the ground in this one. With one of the better offensive lines in the country and a running game that is still looking for a bit of a rhythm, I could see this game fall out of Montana’s grasp, one 7-yard gain after the next.

Q: What's your score prediction for the game? Why?

A: We all kind of hope for a game in these ones, don’t we? That once-every-few-years game where an FCS team like Appalachian State or NDSU or Eastern Washington shows up to the home of a cocky FBS opponent, takes their game check and then their lunch money on the field. Heck, the Griz nearly did that in 1993 behind Dave Dickenson.

Unfortunately for Montana, this isn’t the 1993 Oregon Ducks. And this isn’t going to be much of a game. I don’t see the Ducks putting a 70-spot up two weeks in a row, so the Griz can take solace there, but I see this game finishing around 55-10."

Grizbeer said:
Tyson is no Divish but he is a pretty good sports writer.

You don’t write for The Athletic unless you have your shit together. As I said above, it is the best sports journalism there is. Beats SI, ESPN any everyone else by a mile.

Back