• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Alger vs Hauck Pt. Deaux

Soooo... a notorious cat troll throws up a bullshit thread dredging up some nonsense from the past, hoping that eGriz will take the bait. And here you are, the usual suspects, taking swipes at each other and back-biting.

Congrats to the cat troll, he's got you pegged.

garizzalies said:
Hopefully Mr Alger aged better than that hit piece. The stank of sour grapes. So the coach didn’t like talking about injuries and negative press? Most good coaches are like that. Who’s team was Alger supporting anyway? Good gracious why not just send Mariani’s Xrays to the opposing team so they know where to target him?
And Hauck was so evil to take a better job for him and his family; but holy cow, that’s exactly what Alger did, and everyone else. So?
The pejorative theme of the article is simply an Alpha hot-take—Hauck couldn’t win the chipper—which I am sure Alger lifted from here. I guess that must have been the best slant he could come up with to fit the overall negative tone. Because, although the positives of Hauck’s tenure were unprecedented, if any of that got mentioned it was simply to set up another shot taken. Why torch that bridge; what happened to taking the high road.
And not getting a chipper is not Hauck’s legacy; to hack on that seems so cheap, especially looking back now. 80 wins is unbelievable, and I would have traded anything to suffer thru more lost chippers instead of the disastrous last decade, especially Hauck’s refusal to comment on dumb things. :roll: I wonder if Mr Alger looks back at that article and cringes like most of us.

Eh, you haven't met too many writers if you think we don't look back at things we once wrote and cringe. Hell, I have a hard time reading stories I published last week (again, you can find those at theathletic.com/ducks) not to mention something from 10 years ago.
I re-read the column. It's not the best thing I ever wrote. I don't hate it. In retrospect, it was a bit heavy-handed and could have used more nuance at the end. Probably why I'm a reporter and not a columnist these days.

But, yeah, all of this came back up when Hauck was rehired and you can go through my post history if you want to see more responses, ect. Think I even invited PlayerRep for a beer this week and never heard back.

Here's hoping Montana puts up a fight and, more importantly, comes back to Missoula healthy for conference play.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
Good point. Alger was and is okay sports writer, but was immature and a jerk on this old stuff with Hauck, in my view.

greenie resorts to being an immature jerk in order to try to denigrate a journalist who prints truths greenie doesn't like. nothing new, of course, but...

As I said, Alger in particular and some of his cohorts were immature and jerks. Were rude in repeatedly asking the same questions that Hauck didn’t care to answer. Said some things that weren’t true too. Went after the dad of the kid who got into it with Tru and Swink. The incident had occurred many months earlier. The mom or step mom of the kid worked for me. I knew about the fight 36 hours after it occurred. I told the family to call Hauck. They did. He kicked the butts of the 2 players, all summer. Didn’t play the in first game. I also knew Swink and Tru fairly well.

Some bad news out of state journalism advisor was feeding bad advice to the Kaimin and egging them on. Think he sort of got pushed out of town eventually.

Hauck was living in the heads of the Kaimin, in my view. Not commenting on or supporting what Hauck was doing. Hauck got along with the student sports writer at UNLV.

Argh, you don’t what you are talking about.

Tyson Alger said:
garizzalies said:
Hopefully Mr Alger aged better than that hit piece. The stank of sour grapes. So the coach didn’t like talking about injuries and negative press? Most good coaches are like that. Who’s team was Alger supporting anyway? Good gracious why not just send Mariani’s Xrays to the opposing team so they know where to target him?
And Hauck was so evil to take a better job for him and his family; but holy cow, that’s exactly what Alger did, and everyone else. So?
The pejorative theme of the article is simply an Alpha hot-take—Hauck couldn’t win the chipper—which I am sure Alger lifted from here. I guess that must have been the best slant he could come up with to fit the overall negative tone. Because, although the positives of Hauck’s tenure were unprecedented, if any of that got mentioned it was simply to set up another shot taken. Why torch that bridge; what happened to taking the high road.
And not getting a chipper is not Hauck’s legacy; to hack on that seems so cheap, especially looking back now. 80 wins is unbelievable, and I would have traded anything to suffer thru more lost chippers instead of the disastrous last decade, especially Hauck’s refusal to comment on dumb things. :roll: I wonder if Mr Alger looks back at that article and cringes like most of us.

Eh, you haven't met too many writers if you think we don't look back at things we once wrote and cringe. Hell, I have a hard time reading stories I published last week (again, you can find those at theathletic.com/ducks) not to mention something from 10 years ago.
I re-read the column. It's not the best thing I ever wrote. I don't hate it. In retrospect, it was a bit heavy-handed and could have used more nuance at the end. Probably why I'm a reporter and not a columnist these days.

But, yeah, all of this came back up when Hauck was rehired and you can go through my post history if you want to see more responses, ect. Think I even invited PlayerRep for a beer this week and never heard back.

Here's hoping Montana puts up a fight and, more importantly, comes back to Missoula healthy for conference play.

I do not know Tyson, but after reading his responses I have a respect for him. He did not stoke this fire, he has not come in here trying to argue with people. He has given honest answers and I respect this position. More journalists could learn from his approach as far as I am concerned.

garizzalies said:

+1 I’d add that to repeatedly ask the same questions knowing full well that coach does not answer those questions was bound to cause a rift.

I'll just say it's pretty entertaining to watch/remember what Hauck gets criticized for in dealing with the media, and comparing it to the press conferences of P5 coaches. Imagine this:

REPORTER: Coach what can you say about X?
SABAN: I told you I'm not going to talk about X.
*Next Week*
REPORTER: Coach what can you say about X?
SABAN: Like I said, I'm not here to talk about X.
REPORTER: Coach what can you say about Y?
SABAN: [gives answer about Y].
*Three Minutes Later*
REPORTER: How does your answer about Y affect the game plan given X?
SABAN: [fill].

I'm not a "Hauck is infallible" guy, but it feels like lot of the nits against him regarding the media are just that.

argh! said:
garizzalies said:

apparently you didn't notice how alger did point out how remarkable hauck's record was, how hard he works, etc....
Apparently, you can read about as well as Alger writes. I did point that exact thing out.
You must have totally skipped this part of my post: “...if any of that got mentioned it was simply to set up another shot taken. Why torch that bridge; what happened to taking the high road.”

garizzalies said:
argh! said:
garizzalies said:

apparently you didn't notice how alger did point out how remarkable hauck's record was, how hard he works, etc....
Apparently, you can read about as well as Alger writes. I did point that exact thing out.
You must have totally skipped this part of my post: “...if any of that got mentioned it was simply to set up another shot taken. Why torch that bridge; what happened to taking the high road.”

i can read just fine, thanks. alger called hauck's record remarkable and said how hard he works, which you don't point ou. instead you wrote "if any of that got mentioned" as if it was a hypothetical, and then you added to your hypothetical by saying it would be 'setting him up to take a shot at him'. if he even wrote the praise, which you don't directly acknowledge. that's the gist of what you wrote. seems like you were the one who didn't read what you were commenting on, being too busy denigrating the work of a (then) kid, who did indeed praise hauck on those accomplishments.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1172565194930737152

Well I guess if we're plugging stuff:

https://theathletic.com/1207662/2019/09/13/dave-dickenson-1993-oregon-montana/

garizzalies said:

Yup. Alger had put out his piece over the holiday vacation, for another parting shot at Hauck. And I agree, it was sour grapes.

Alger wanted Hauck's legacy to be no national championships, but despite what he and a few said, that never was and never will be Hauck's football legacy at UM for that stint. His legacy is that he continued to build an incredible program and keep it running at a very high level. The 3 nat'l championship appearances and another semifinal appearance, all in 7 years. 7 conference championships in a row. Only 1 conference loss in the last 4 years. Many players in the NFL. And many other positive traits about the program.

The only real blemish was too many player incidents, a number of which ended up fine for the players but still got a lot of bad publicity. Lost to some was that Hauck was a huge disciplinarian who sent the offenders (who had really done something wrong) packing right away. Note that there appears to have been no bad player behavior since he returned to UM.

The Kaimin stuff was minor. I personally liked how dealt with the Kaimin. As I have said, they were immature jerks. Hopefully, at least some of them learned a lesson. I wonder how long Alger would last at his current job if he acted the same way as he did at UM, and with Hauck? Here's a link to what the UNLV sportswriter said about Hauck. All positive. "Bobby Hauck was a class act with student reporters". My assumption is that the UNLV sports reporters were also class acts, unlike some of the Kaimin reporters.

https://www.unlvfreepress.com/bobby-hauck-was-a-class-act-with-student-reporters/

Again, I've seen a few things written by Alger in recent years. It was good. Could it could be that the talent now is combined with more maturity and less confrontation?

argh! said:
garizzalies said:
argh! said:
garizzalies said:

i can read just fine, thanks. alger called hauck's record remarkable and said how hard he works, which you don't point ou. instead you wrote "if any of that got mentioned" as if it was a hypothetical, and then you added to your hypothetical by saying it would be 'setting him up to take a shot at him'. if he even wrote the praise, which you don't directly acknowledge. that's the gist of what you wrote. seems like you were the one who didn't read what you were commenting on, being too busy denigrating the work of a (then) kid, who did indeed praise hauck on those accomplishments.

I doubt that even you agree that Hauck's legacy is not winning a national championship. Now that he's back, and things seem to be turning around and looking up, I sure don't hear people talking about Hauck not having won a nat'l championship. Nor do I think that's the legacy of every UM coach except Read and Glenn. It was a stupid comment at the time and always will be. Was just a line from Hauck Haters.

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

Yup. Alger had put out his piece over the holiday vacation, for another parting shot at Hauck. And I agree, it was sour grapes.

Alger wanted Hauck's legacy to be no national championships, but despite what he and a few said, that never was and never will be Hauck's football legacy at UM for that stint. His legacy is that he continued to build an incredible program and keep it running at a very high level. The 3 nat'l championship appearances and another semifinal appearance, all in 7 years. 7 conference championships in a row. Only 1 conference loss in the last 4 years. Many players in the NFL. And many other positive traits about the program.

The only real blemish was too many player incidents, a number of which ended up fine for the players but still got a lot of bad publicity. Lost to some was that Hauck was a huge disciplinarian who sent the offenders (who had really done something wrong) packing right away. Note that there appears to have been no bad player behavior since he returned to UM.

The Kaimin stuff was minor. I personally liked how dealt with the Kaimin. As I have said, they were immature jerks. Hopefully, at least some of them learned a lesson. I wonder how long Alger would last at his current job if he acted the same way as he did at UM, and with Hauck? Here's a link to what the UNLV sportswriter said about Hauck. All positive. "Bobby Hauck was a class act with student reporters". My assumption is that the UNLV sports reporters were also class acts, unlike some of the Kaimin reporters.

https://www.unlvfreepress.com/bobby-hauck-was-a-class-act-with-student-reporters/

Again, I've seen a few things written by Alger in recent years. It was good. Could it could be that the talent now is combined with more maturity and less confrontation?

big game bob :jack:

What is ironic about this whole thread is that Alger is here on eGriz very maturely posting that he regrets some of the stuff he did, and not taking the bait from other eGriz posters, but is continuously bashed for being an "immature jerk" 10 years ago. If we want to get into talking about being immature, we can start with a lot of the posters in this thread that seem to be hellbent on dragging him down for an incident that happened 10 years ago. That situation didn't play out very well back then, but both sides were "immature" in the way they handled it.

As it would turn out, and despite that incident, Tyson is currently writing for probably the best sports journalism company out there. If you don't subscribe, you should, because the stories the Athletic pumps out are great on multiple fronts and cover a multitude of sports and leagues, both collegiate and professional.

ari gold said:
What is ironic about this whole thread is that Alger is here on eGriz very maturely posting that he regrets some of the stuff he did, and not taking the bait from other eGriz posters, but is continuously bashed for being an "immature jerk" 10 years ago. If we want to get into talking about being immature, we can start with a lot of the posters in this thread that seem to be hellbent on dragging him down for an incident that happened 10 years ago. That situation didn't play out very well back then, but both sides were "immature" in the way they handled it.

As it would turn out, and despite that incident, Tyson is currently writing for probably the best sports journalism company out there. If you don't subscribe, you should, because the stories the Athletic pumps out are great on multiple fronts and cover a multitude of sports and leagues, both collegiate and professional.

The Athletic is awesome. Ya know, if you like to think and stuff.. It has helped fill my Grantland void.

ari gold said:

Why don't you address the posters who have been saying the positive things about what Alger did 10 years ago, and which aren't accurate? Then, some of us wouldn't have to correct them.

The posters correcting the record didn't start the thread, nor did they start with the correcting of the record. Please direct your comments in the right direction.

The posters doing the correcting aren't immature jerks, or being that. But you are coming close to being a jerk with your mischaracterion.

The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

big game bob :jack:

Tell me about the Big game Cats..
*aside from being lucky the last couple years.

Any NC’s?
*The mythical 1984 season doesn’t count

Any deep playoff runs?

:roll:

PlayerRep said:
ari gold said:

Why don't you address the posters who have been saying the positive things about what Alger did 10 years ago, and which aren't accurate? Then, some of us wouldn't have to correct them.

The posters correcting the record didn't start the thread, nor did they start with the correcting of the record. Please direct your comments in the right direction.

The posters doing the correcting aren't immature jerks, or being that. But you are coming close to being a jerk with your mischaracterion.

I'm not calling any of the "facts" here into question. I think there is validity on most of the points you have made from a fact and timeline basis. It's not really the context of what you wrote that outwardly speaks to your dislike of Alger, but how it was written. It's one thing to try and make sure everyone has the corrects facts and another to take shots like "he was and is an okay sportswriter" and say things like "Alger wanted Hauck's legacy to be no national championships" when he never said such a thing. You may not see it, but your disdain for him is pretty blatant, despite the attempt to say you are just trying to correct those who aren't accuratly portraying what happened 10 years ago.

Me every time I open this thread.

Q5NnBt9_d.jpg

As long as we are on the topic of corrections, I fear it is I who should be corrected. I thought the OP meant Part Deux as in the French for Part Two but after reading this thread it seems apparent that Part Deaux is more appropriate as it would be pronounced Part D'OH because that is pretty much exactly how it reads.

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

Back