• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Oregon: We Need To Do More Than Show Up !!!

grizindabox said:
Oregon is going to own the trenches on both sides of the ball and make it a very long day for the Griz. I will also add, playing FBS schools is not the key to NDSU or EWU having success on the field every season.

That's where I stand, too. I'm hoping for three scores, and I'm hoping that we don't try to "establish the run" because I just don't see that happening. Metaphorically speaking, I think we have to shoot a ton of threes rather than try to control the paint.

When I read the thread title, I was thinking someone should spring EVG from Schick Shadel & head for Eugene. I can’t fault Kent for the last couple years if scheduling or having a budget hole they need to fill. Playing up, where you can schedule it, is a good thing.

Ps. Vodka from Costco, always Costco should be ready when whomever gets there first, picks up EVG. He’ll be dam cranky otherwise.

CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:
It's an interesting discussion. If UM goes to Oregon, should they go in guns blazing completely opening up the offensive and defensive playbooks knowing full well they are putting everything they have on film for future opponents? Or do they go to Oregon, take in the experience, play vanilla, not give future opponents a look at the full playbook, and be happy to leave with a big paycheck?
That is a great post, and definitely food for thought. :thumb:
Here's an alternative: Play vanilla, except ... trot out a selection of trick plays that you probably have no intention of ever using again. :) (Despite some weirdness against Northern Alabama, trickeration is not really in Bobby's DNA.) That will give future opponents some extra food for thought.

I've said it before in similar threads, and I'll say it again here. The tournament selection committee would look much more favorably at a win over another strong FCS team as opposed to getting blasted by 30, 40 or 50 points by a power 5 FBS team. I thought that was our goal - the playoffs!!!

AllWeatherFan said:
I think we need to hit homers instead of singles.
It's a game of field position and it's won in the trenches. Each Griz has to do his 1/11th and leave it all out in the field. They have to take care of the football and just go out and execute. They need to stop the big play and control the line of scrimmage. If the defense can sniff out plays and be tough in the red zone then it will become a game of inches. Remember, the game is 90% mental and the other half is physical. (had to get some Yogi in there) And when the final whistle blows it won't be about winning or losing but how you played the game!

Grisly Fan said:
AllWeatherFan said:
It's a game of field position and it's won in the trenches. Each Griz has to do his 1/11th and leave it all out in the field. They have to take care of the football and just go out and execute. They need to stop the big play and control the line of scrimmage. If the defense can sniff out plays and be tough in the red zone then it will become a game of inches. Remember, the game is 90% mental and the other half is physical. (had to get some Yogi in there) And when the final whistle blows it won't be about winning or losing but how you played the game!

You forgot about overcoming adversity!

Grisly Fan said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I'm not sure how you hacked Hauck's pregame speech deck, but I'm not asking questions.

AllWeatherFan said:
Let's play Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado State, Kansas State, Iowa State and Iowa instead of Oregon.

This! To compare these teams with a 15-ranked Oregon (who many still think will win the PAC 12 and before they lost to Auburn was in the discussion for a playoff team) to these other teams that some powerful FCS squeaked by with an upset is silly. This isn’t your mama’s Oregon team, this is the real deal Holyfield. They have arguably the best offensive lines in the entire country and now one of the top defenses. I’m not kidding when I say if the Griz only give up 55 or less and then score somewhere between 10-14 it will super impressive!

I’m sorry but to expect anything else here is just setting yourself up to be absolutely disappointed. Have fun, stay healthy, compete, come home with 650k.

We should be a Mt West team and then this wouldn’t be “playing up”. It would just be playing a p12 school.

Wouldn’t that be cool?

grizindabox said:
Oregon is going to own the trenches on both sides of the ball and make it a very long day for the Griz. I will also add, playing FBS schools is not the key to NDSU or EWU having success on the field every season.

Agreed 1000% box.

Vanilla.

I do like the trick play thing though. Give conference opponents something to think about.

What's the worst that could happen. They dont work and we get crushed?

I remember the AD saying that they like to play up for 2 reasons. One, to get every class an opportunity to play in a big game against an FBS opponent. 2nd, the paycheck.

As for the game plan; I can see a ton of short passes to the side lines. Get the ball out as quick as a canon.

Yukon said:
As for the game plan; I can see a ton of short passes to the side lines. Get the ball out as quick as a canon.
Something to try early: A medium-deep sideline "jump ball" to Akem. We know how good he is against lesser competition ... let's find out early how he can do against FBS talent. Although Brint did not mention it specifically, I very much doubt that the Griz have the speed to go over the top on a good FBS secondary.

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:
It's an interesting discussion. If UM goes to Oregon, should they go in guns blazing completely opening up the offensive and defensive playbooks knowing full well they are putting everything they have on film for future opponents? Or do they go to Oregon, take in the experience, play vanilla, not give future opponents a look at the full playbook, and be happy to leave with a big paycheck?
That is a great post, and definitely food for thought. :thumb:
Here's an alternative: Play vanilla, except ... trot out a selection of trick plays that you probably have no intention of ever using again. :) (Despite some weirdness against Northern Alabama, trickeration is not really in Bobby's DNA.) That will give future opponents some extra food for thought.

Absolutely! Keep it vanilla! Some gadgets, and hope for some special team scores, or defensive TDS! Get out of the game healthy, with playbook left for conference! Pull an App State vs Michigan!

reinell30 said:
Using this theory that NDSU playing up is what made them champions, then we should have been National Champs, Stitt's 1st year here when we beat NDSU.

How about that!!

Outside of NDSU, you play up for the paycheck, hope for no injuries, & keep it vanilla - don't give away the playbook. So....what would Bobby do?

Back