• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Oregon: We Need To Do More Than Show Up !!!

billingsgriz

The last time we played a PAC 12 Team in 2017, we got smoked in Seattle by The Huskies, 63-7.

If we are going to compete with NDSU and EWU now and in the future, we must emulate them in their upset wins over Minnesota, Iowa State, Kansas State and Iowa, with the Wildcats and Iowa nationally ranked in the bottom half 15-25 when The Bison beat them, not to mention Eastern Washington's upset wins over Oregon State and WAZZU in recent years.

While Year # 2 of the Bobby Hauck sequel is too soon to expect a huge upset over the Ducks, I do expect us to do better than we did against UDUB 2 yrs ago. If Oregon beats us--and they are an obvious overwhelming favorite--let them beat us and not beat ourselves through turnovers and penalties-- false starts, holding, and personal fouls.

And I know that it is not lost on Coach Hauck and his staff, that future GRIZ will be watching this game in Eugene not only at Autzen Stadium in the stands and watching on The Pac 12 Network, --Look at our Oregon players like Dante Olsen, Samori Toure, and Tyler Ganoung, but also possibly wearing a Duck's uniform on the sidelines.

Just like NDSU and Eastern playing up almost every years, we should play a PAC-12 or Mountain West team every year because the kids and staff love the challenge, the athletic department loves the $, these games against The Ducks, Beavers, Huskies, Rams, Bears and Broncos, will help our high school and transfer recruiting, and GRIZ Nation loves to travel !!!

No, we shouldn't. MWC maybe...but getting slaughtered by a Pac-12 team is useless IMHO.

I'd be all about playing Utah State, Air Force, Wyoming, Boise St., Nevada, etc....every year. Payouts would be less but more would be gained

AZGrizFan said:
No, we shouldn't. MWC maybe...but getting slaughtered by a Pac-12 team is useless IMHO.

I'd be all about playing Utah State, Air Force, Wyoming, Boise St., Nevada, etc....every year. Payouts would be less but more would be gained

I’d be up for that as well.

As conference games.

Cal-Davis gave their big brother in Berkley all they could handle, losing something like 27-14 two weeks ago, and Eastern's two recent upset 1A wins were over Pac-12 schools, AZ, so I must respectfully disagree.

billingsgriz said:
Cal-Davis gave their big brother in Berkley all they could handle, losing something like 27-14 two weeks ago, and Eastern's two recent upset 1A wins were over Pac-12 schools, AZ, so I must respectfully disagree.

The thing about a lot of these upsets or potential upsets that you listed are that they typically happen in week 1 of the season. Both of EWU's victories over WSU and Oregon State were on week 1. UC Davis played Cal on opening day. We're playing Oregon in week 3 of the season, and there's a huge difference in playing a power FBS program in week 3 vs week 1.

If we were playing Oregon in week 1, I could see our chance of an upset slightly higher than what it is now (5% according to Massey Ratings). All I can ask for in this game is to keep it "relatively" close and that we actually put points up on the board.

I like to think we will put points on the board. I would go so far as to say I am pretty optimistic we will. We will have a difficult time consistently sustaining drives and scoring but I do think we have enough athletes that we will break a few big plays that will lead to legitimate points. Also 4th quarter may be a good opportunity as well though some will call these “garbage time” points.

I am just saying, get'em, that if we want to emulate Eastern in our own conference and NDSU in the Missouri Valley Conference, get back to the national championship game, and win it this time, the blueprint is there and it includes playing 1A. FCS regional games against the Pac-12 and Mountain West, and pulling the upset in some of those games. While your reasoning does make sense, I--a mere armchair QB--would rather play them 3-4 games in so that we can knock the rust off before taking on Goliath.

While the bottom feeders of the Big Sky shouldn't schedule PAC-12 teams, top Big Sky schools like Eastern, Weber, The Shi##y Kitties, and especially us should for the reasons mentioned--the challenge for our players and staff, $ for the UM Athletic Department, exposure and recruiting, and GRIZ Nation loves to travel.

And let's not forget confidence gained in this game--hopefully. While we probably lose Saturday night in Eugene, Coach Hauck and his staff know that everyone else we play this year won't be as big, strong or fast as Oregon.

9/11/1993 Gentlemen. What week of the season was that?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvmsygj9Gww&t[/media]

billingsgriz said:
The last time we played a PAC 12 Team in 2017, we got smoked in Seattle by The Huskies, 63-7.

If we are going to compete with NDSU and EWU now and in the future, we must emulate them in their upset wins over Minnesota, Iowa State, Kansas State and Iowa, with the Wildcats and Iowa nationally ranked in the bottom half 15-25 when The Bison beat them, not to mention Eastern Washington's upset wins over Oregon State and WAZZU in recent years.

While Year # 2 of the Bobby Hauck sequel is too soon to expect a huge upset over the Ducks, I do expect us to do better than we did against UDUB 2 yrs ago. If Oregon beats us--and they are an obvious overwhelming favorite--let them beat us and not beat ourselves through turnovers and penalties-- false starts, holding, and personal fouls.

And I know that it is not lost on Coach Hauck and his staff, that future GRIZ will be watching this game in Eugene not only at Autzen Stadium in the stands and watching on The Pac 12 Network, --Look at our Oregon players like Dante Olsen, Samori Toure, and Tyler Ganoung, but also possibly wearing a Duck's uniform on the sidelines.

Just like NDSU and Eastern playing up almost every years, we should play a PAC-12 or Mountain West team every year because the kids and staff love the challenge, the athletic department loves the $, these games against The Ducks, Beavers, Huskies, Rams, Bears and Broncos, will help our high school and transfer recruiting, and GRIZ Nation loves to travel !!!

Honestly I like the enthusiasm, but this is wrong in so many ways. Those teams that were upset by NDSU and EWU don't compare to this years Oregon team (except maybe that Iowa team NDSU beat). It's really no comparison, Oregon truly should have beaten a top tier SEC team 2 weeks ago. They will be men among boys when we take the field with them. Our guys will compete, but this is a really good football team. They will beat us as badly as they want to beat us.

I agree it would be a win to avoid dumb penalties.

Do you know what the pac-12 network ratings are? They are horrible as it is, and in addition to that I doubt recruits care to watch us get our ass kicked (besides maybe MT kids). There are other better games on that they will likely watch.

We should not play a pac-12 team or even a MTN west team every year. Playing teams that are that good literally increase our chance of losing. Why would a griz fan want to watch us lose? The staff and players care more about winning games. It would make more sense to invite the North Alabamas and Monmouths here and big dick everyone. Maybe that single game doesn't get us as much money, but I know it gets over 25000 people in our stadium and in our town and our motels and gets that much more hype around the U of M because our home games are electric and people want to see us win.

In addition, if we win FCS games it gives us a higher chance at getting home playoff games, which in the end of it all is the start to RTD.

billingsgriz said:

It's an interesting discussion. If UM goes to Oregon, should they go in guns blazing completely opening up the offensive and defensive playbooks knowing full well they are putting everything they have on film for future opponents? Or do they go to Oregon, take in the experience, play vanilla, not give future opponents a look at the full playbook, and be happy to leave with a big paycheck?

billingsgriz said:

I don't think the occasional upset (that occurs about as frequently as Haley's Comet) is worth the tradeoff. I'd rather play another FCS game that counts--even a "gimmie" like UNA or Monmouth. We have a 12-game season, need 8 wins to get into the playoffs, and we're essentially "wasting" one of the weeks. I don't like it. Especially when we make essentially the same money on a home game as we do in these bodybag games.

Well, as NDSU and Eastern have demonstrated, playing up against the Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 doesn't mean an automatic loss. For the record, Kansas State was also nationally ranked when the Bison beat them.

And between the two of them--all NDSU but one, have won something like 8 of 10 NC's over the last 10 years, while we have won exactly 0.

billingsgriz said:
Well, as NDSU and Eastern have demonstrated, playing up against the Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 doesn't mean an automatic loss. For the record, Kansas State was also nationally ranked when the Bison beat them.

And between the two of them--all NDSU but one, have won something like 8 of 10 NC's over the last 10 years, while we have won exactly 0.

Kinda the chicken and egg thing though. NDSU is the cream of the crop no doubt. And they had to start somewhere. And while I'm sure that playing up has helped them become the program they are; I'd make the case that a FCS team of their pedigree is one that SHOULD pull off an upset or two.

Your point is valid however.

Oregon is going to own the trenches on both sides of the ball and make it a very long day for the Griz. I will also add, playing FBS schools is not the key to NDSU or EWU having success on the field every season.

Using this theory that NDSU playing up is what made them champions, then we should have been National Champs, Stitt's 1st year here when we beat NDSU.

wbtfg said:
billingsgriz said:

It's an interesting discussion. If UM goes to Oregon, should they go in guns blazing completely opening up the offensive and defensive playbooks knowing full well they are putting everything they have on film for future opponents? Or do they go to Oregon, take in the experience, play vanilla, not give future opponents a look at the full playbook, and be happy to leave with a big paycheck?

That is a great post, and definitely food for thought. :thumb:

Back