• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Today's press conference

I would agree the question was stupid but......yes, the coach has a professional contractual obligation to do the pressers, and several other meet and greets, like the QB Club, that are meant to bridge the information gap between the team and the fan base. Coaches all over the country do it every week, generally in a positive and informative manner. Bobby has had a history of bad relationships with the press including a serious pissing match with the UM student paper that got national attention in his last tenure at Montana. We were told he had "matured" and his attitude would be different. To me, he seemed to act like a dick the entire presser before exploding and cutting the whole thing off. I am glad he is back as the HC. The team seems to be responding to his leadership. I just don't think it is constructive to limit information (injuries) and be confrontational to be an effective coach.

get'em_griz said:
LOL I love it! Classic Bobby! :clap:

Frank was told by Bobby “No questions” about last year, and then he decides to write an article that focuses HEAVILY on last year and the struggles the Griz had... :lol: :roll:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-s-season-opening-win-over-south-dakota-could-have/article_6c8a81ea-29e2-50af-8827-81017656fe2b.html?utm_content=bufferfa6bb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC&fbclid=IwAR2laOlfMbDGzyT1Gfs3JP7QNSHO6gbEs1xJ7M6sIZD8F32vJzMRHWAfh8A
I'm pretty sure Frank wrote the article on Saturday and the presser wasn't until Monday, so what was poor to do Frank? I got it retraction, yeah that's the ticket. Goddamn mean old Missoulian, Frank stay in your lane and retract your article, better yet clear everything you write with the coaching staff after the pressers because Bobby is still the boss of you :thumb: :lol: :roll:

I subscribe fully to the well-stated comments from daGrizJ above. Bobby had some serious issues in press relations the last time around, and I thought he had "matured" as they say. Really disappointed in his performance at the presser. Of course reporters are going to ask "inane" "irrelevant" "stupid" questions----- there's just a hundred ways to dance around such questions----politicians get pretty good at this and perhaps Bobby should take some instruction. But taking the position that you, as coach, are going to determine which questions you will answer is just a poke in the eye with a sharp stick to most people, and certainly to any journalist.

I should state that I am a Bobby fan and was elated when he was re-hired and I am expecting good things from him. But he really needs to clean up his dealings with the press.

People bitch when press doesn't ask tough questions.....then the get pissed when they press Hauck. Can't win. And if UM wants a better relationship with the Missoulian sports page, that is not the way to hold a presser. Last game at WGriz was a heart breaker, I can see why he asked it. Bobby claims they have been working on things that needed fixing....yet cant bring up last year to see what a player is thinking the next time they come out of that tunnel and HAVE A CHANCE to leave in a better mood? Maybe he didn't word it great, but I don't see it as a slam on last year. From what I have seen so far Bobby is no better with the press than last tenure and had hoped he had grown up and put his ego in check. I am glad he is coaching, but come on man is just a presser and you are not Belichick.

grizfromhel said:
I subscribe fully to the well-stated comments from daGrizJ above. Bobby had some serious issues in press relations the last time around, and I thought he had "matured" as they say. Really disappointed in his performance at the presser. Of course reporters are going to ask "inane" "irrelevant" "stupid" questions----- there's just a hundred ways to dance around such questions----politicians get pretty good at this and perhaps Bobby should take some instruction. But taking the position that you, as coach, are going to determine which questions you will answer is just a poke in the eye with a sharp stick to most people, and certainly to any journalist.

I should state that I am a Bobby fan and was elated when he was re-hired and I am expecting good things from him. But he really needs to clean up his dealings with the press.

I have to disagree. Bobby's job is to make this team better and he must feel by doing that is not dwelling on last year. He sure doesn't want his players doing that. He's also not a snake oil salesman like politicians, thank God.

I say he can answer any question how he wants or not at all. Maybe the press needs to cleanup it's dealings with him. Wonder why people sometimes feel that we must pander to the press?

grizfromhel said:

Why is it okay for the reporters to ask those "inane" and "stupid" questions? Why are you holding Bobby accountable and not holding them accountable?

Bobby isn't a politician, he's a football coach. If he were a politician, he would probably be a shitty football coach. What obligation does he have to answer irrelevant questions?

I read all about this press conference. Then, I watched it. Unless there is another clip I missed, I don't think Bobby did anything wrong here. Basically didn't want his QB to answer questions about last season, and cut off the narrative. I really don't see the bad in that.

The thing that has always blown goats about the press is they control the story. If you don't give them what they want, you can expect to be on the receiving end of every subtle dig in every one-off article. You can go from a "highly regarded" coach to an "often criticized" coach based on one interaction with one former team manager with a press credential.

1972 said:
Good for Bobby, these reporters these days, think they can ask any question they want and then are entitled to an answer. I would have been frustrated to, good for him, teaching his players that you don't have to answer every question that you get asked in life. I'm sure he would have liked to say more, buy knew he might get in trouble in today's world.

Question for those in the know, is Bobby required to have a press conference?

Absolutely not!!!! He should take a page from the Trumpster Fire playbook and cancel all pressers. Every journalist is a commie, left winger and the public (granted, many football fan alums like me financially support the U and foolishly like to hear about the program from the coach) doesn't deserve any football team news either. Come on, Bobby, since apparently only you know what is a dumb question and what isn't-ban the pressers!!!!!!!

CDAGRIZ said:
I read all about this press conference. Then, I watched it. Unless there is another clip I missed, I don't think Bobby did anything wrong here. Basically didn't want his QB to answer questions about last season, and cut off the narrative. I really don't see the bad in that.

The thing that has always blown goats about the press is they control the story. If you don't give them what they want, you can expect to be on the receiving end of every subtle dig in every one-off article. You can go from a "highly regarded" coach to an "often criticized" coach based on one interaction with one former team manager with a press credential.

Best post in this thread...

Reminds me of an episode of MASH
General says “the last thing I’m going to do at a press conference is answer a lot of questions “

CDAGRIZ said:

:clap: Couldn’t have said it better

If Bobby doesn't want to answer any question at a presser, he certainly doesn't have to. He would be well advised to offer his 'I'm not going to answer' in a thoughtful, non-confrontational way. He will be better for it.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

:clap: Couldn’t have said it better
Correct, and who cares what the media says anyway? Traditional media (newspapers, radio). Is almost dead.
I have zero problem with Hauck yesterday and glad he said what he said. He represents Montana the way I want it represented.

Plainsman said:
Come on, Bobby, since apparently only you know what is a dumb question and what isn't-ban the pressers!!!!!!!
No, we all recognize the dumb questions and the narrative-driven questions from the fake news crew. Good for BH to draw lines in the sand and not play their game. It's not like answering those questions would add any value. The focus of the presser is on BH and a couple players and their thoughts re. the last football game, and the work for this week in preparation for the next.

The hawks will have their shot at him after the Oregon game and if the hard questions focus on that, he will own up to them. He's been around the block a couple times and is savvy to their efforts to trap him.

mcg said:
If Bobby doesn't want to answer any question at a presser, he certainly doesn't have to. He would be well advised to offer his 'I'm not going to answer' in a thoughtful, non-confrontational way. He will be better for it.

This.

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Best post in this thread...

This is where I line up too. I didn't think Hauck was a dick in the press conference, but was little sharp in that one spot. He likely had a reason for it. Someone posted that he had told the reporter not to ask questions about last year. If so, he meant it. He was protecting his player. I like that.

Hauck had problems with several immature dickhead kids from the Missoulian last time. He didn't lots of problems with the press. A lot of the press liked him. A few didn't. I don't know why people have to exaggerate or overstate to try to make their points. What's wrong with sticking to the facts.

The student sports reporter at UNLV liked Hauck and wrote a nice article on that. It's been posted previously on egret.

Back