• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Today's press conference

Da Boyz Mom

DONOR
https://youtu.be/Vryu5vuSbuA

Coach got a little salty with a reporter who asked Dalton how excited the team was to get back to WaGriz "especially after last year". Bobby was not happy with the question and put the kibosh on any more questions about last year. :lol: (Question and comment are near the end of the presser.)

I agree. The last year comment made no sense and I was scratching my head. With how last year ended you are glad to have a home game??? I understand the ending at home was not ideal but it has no bearing on 2019.

Good for Bobby, these reporters these days, think they can ask any question they want and then are entitled to an answer. I would have been frustrated to, good for him, teaching his players that you don't have to answer every question that you get asked in life. I'm sure he would have liked to say more, buy knew he might get in trouble in today's world.

Question for those in the know, is Bobby required to have a press conference?

LOL I love it! Classic Bobby! :clap:

Frank was told by Bobby “No questions” about last year, and then he decides to write an article that focuses HEAVILY on last year and the struggles the Griz had... :lol: :roll:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-s-season-opening-win-over-south-dakota-could-have/article_6c8a81ea-29e2-50af-8827-81017656fe2b.html?utm_content=bufferfa6bb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC&fbclid=IwAR2laOlfMbDGzyT1Gfs3JP7QNSHO6gbEs1xJ7M6sIZD8F32vJzMRHWAfh8A

Question, does anyone know the source/reasoning for the Missoulian/Lee Enterprises vendetta against the university? Have they (Lee) noticed a positive correlation between sensationalized UM hit pieces and readership? If so, could an outside source be influencing this? Is it because Lee Enterprises leans right and UM has a reputation as leaning left? I'm not sure I've ever heard the full reasoning behind this. Seems so very strange to me that a local paper would so blatantly smear a local and regional institution week after week, word after word. Perhaps some folks with inside knowledge of the relationship could create an account on here and leverage the anonymity of the internet and fill the rest of us in? Or, for any brave souls, feel free to use your real name - just give it to us straight.

The Missoulian article published yesterday (before today's presser mind you) was chock-full of the negative language and turned a positive win Saturday into a reflection of last season. Rather than allowing the reader to revel in an opening weekend victory and look forward into the season positively, the reporter chose to remind the reader of last year's shortcomings ad nauseum. I wonder if that article was the impetus for coach Hauck's firey response?

It's critically important for UM to get the relationship with the Missoulian figured out. I'm reminded each time I drive within a 100 mile radius of Missoula that there's a little yellow box at the end of almost every driveway I pass. If you don't think that has been a huge driver in UM's current situation, you are kidding yourself. So those in the know, let the rest of us know. Why the sour grapes, and how can it be fixed?

UpWithMontana37 said:
Is it because Lee Enterprises leans right and UM has a reputation as leaning left?
This is the first suggestion I have ever heard that the LE newspapers lean right. Fake news like almost all daily fishwrappers. A closer guess might be that football programs lean right and LE leans left.

kemajic said:
UpWithMontana37 said:
Is it because Lee Enterprises leans right and UM has a reputation as leaning left?
This is the first suggestion I have ever heard that the LE newspapers lean right. Fake news like almost all daily fishwrappers. A closer guess might be that football programs lean right and LE leans left.

Given who their newly minted editor is, they’re so far left as to be able to see Russia from her porch.

Alright, fair enough, sounds like political leanings aren't the motivation then. Taking that out of the equation, I don't believe it's just a "They hate the football team" thing either. If that's your stance, you don't see some of the other articles that gets published from the general campus beat writers unrelated to football (and good on ya for choosing not to read it, I have to). They can't resist reiterating UM's enrollment decline stats, regardless of topic. I swear, the "enrollment at UM has dropped by X% since 2011" line is tattooed on their staff's forearms, and any content related to UM is required to include that paragraph before it hits the presses. So, back to my original question - what's the reason/motivation?

There are only two things YOU can do to affect any change at the Missoulian.
1. Cancel your subscription (obviously)
2. Write a letter to the editor.
Everyone I know complains about the Missoulian yet they have it delivered every day.

Agreed. Playing a home game is always welcomed.
putter said:
With how last year ended you are glad to have a home game??? I understand the ending at home was not ideal but it has no bearing on 2019.
But I had to laugh. As a motivator, those UM players who participated in winter conditioning drills might have heard a few things about how last year ended. :shock: :shock: :shock:

AllWeatherFan said:
Maybe Bobby could just provide a list of questions he’s willing to answer each week.

No he should just provide a list of canned answers to canned questions. Let’s all just pretend that no one on this year’s team played in last year’s brawl and has no memory of it just like the fan base. I don’t remember did we play in it last year? That was last year and this is this year and next year will be next year and who cares anyway I’m the coach and you reporters are just bunch of whinny Kaimin pussies. Insecure much there Bob? :roll: That’s kind of how the Ccp does it right arg!?

Doesn't seem like that bad of a question and definitely not bad enough to warrant making enemies in the press. In fact it seems pretty legitimate to ask based on how the last game went.

I am not pro Missoulian but I also think reporters should have the right to ask this type of question. It really was a easy answer for Dalton.

1972 said:
Good for Bobby, these reporters these days, think they can ask any question they want and then are entitled to an answer. I would have been frustrated to, good for him, teaching his players that you don't have to answer every question that you get asked in life. I'm sure he would have liked to say more, buy knew he might get in trouble in today's world.

Question for those in the know, is Bobby required to have a press conference?
Totally agree those commie reporters trying to stir up trouble about last year’s fiasco. No soup for you. No more questions no more pressers because they hurt our feelings damn it. Let’s just go to our happy place and pretend last year didn’t happen. It didn’t right?

(I’ve checked and every coach in pretty much every college and professional league has pressers as part of there employment contracts or league rules. But I like where you are going here Bobby should just say f**k off no more pressers you whinny media people, so sue me. That will show em.)

grizd said:
Doesn't seem like that bad of a question and definitely not bad enough to warrant making enemies in the press. In fact it seems pretty legitimate to ask based on how the last game went.

I am not pro Missoulian but I also think reporters should have the right to ask this type of question. It really was a easy answer for Dalton.
I understand that but why couldn’t Frank just say “how excited are you to finally play a home game?” And just leave it at that? Why’d he have to add the “after last season” comment? I just don’t think that part was necessary. Everybody knows the team is excited to play at home and I don’t really see any point in why he had to add in that last part.

Griz til I die said:
grizd said:

I understand that but why couldn’t Frank just say “how excited are you to finally play a home game?” And just leave it at that? Why’d he have to add the “after last season” comment? I just don’t think that part was necessary. Everybody knows the team is excited to play at home and I don’t really see any point in why he had to add in that last part.

To me, the question was just plain dumb. The first part made no sense connected to the second part.

What does last season in general have to do with playing the second game at home, or any game at home? I can understand how last season's last game with the Cats is connected with this year's Cat game.

I don't see how last season (the whole season) is connected with this season, especially after one game.

Personally, I think too many sports reporters ask dumb questions. They should do better. They should have a higher standard. I'm okay with giving little kids ribbons, but at some point, especially in business, everyone doesn't get a ribbon. I suppose it's true that sportswriters have the right to ask dumb questions, but coaches have the right to answer those questions the way they want, in my view.

I wish someone would have asked the tough questions...like...what was the pregame meal, and after eating it, how did you feel running around in a half empty dome?

Back