• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mens Schedule

Pretty great opportunity for these players to step up and make themselves better and to advance our program!

As to our schedule, there's an Irish saying that's apt: "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

We all wished for a great schedule, and we got it. I'm euphoric over it. It's what I've always wanted from any Montana athletic program--to take on the very best. It's the reason I prefer basketball over second-rate football.

But let's be careful: This schedule also serves as an audition for Travis. He knocks off one or two of these teams, and it raises not only our profile, but his.

Especially: Stanford. Jerod Haase is 48-49 in three seasons there. They lost their top player, KZ Okpala, to the NBA draft. A .500 record is not going to cut it at Stanford for very long.

And do they know where to go to get a new coach? They do! Been there, done that. Probably the most successful coach in the history of their program.

Just sayin'.

I love the Thursday night home games and always drive over to make those. This year’s look awesome: EWU, Dweebs, and UNC.
It’s like they know these are popular and try to put good teams in those slots

citay said:
As to our schedule, there's an Irish saying that's apt: "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

We all wished for a great schedule, and we got it. I'm euphoric over it. It's what I've always wanted from any Montana athletic program--to take on the very best. It's the reason I prefer basketball over second-rate football.

But let's be careful: This schedule also serves as an audition for Travis. He knocks off one or two of these teams, and it raises not only our profile, but his.

Especially: Stanford. Jerod Haase is 48-49 in three seasons there. They lost their top player, KZ Okpala, to the NBA draft. A .500 record is not going to cut it at Stanford for very long.

And do they know where to go to get a new coach? They do! Been there, done that. Probably the most successful coach in the history of their program.

Just sayin'.

I agree with "Be careful with what you wish for" but in a different way...We got a young rebuilding team this year, I love having a big boy schedule, but I am also a bit worried that we could get hammered 4 times and all of sudden getting to 20 wins is a struggle and you have 4 20pt losses against measuring stick teams and it can tank team moral and put the team in a hole for most of the first half of the season (Think some of the years EWU or ISU play 3 FBS teams in one year), not to mention come tourny time your resume screams 16 seed.
Now that said Basketball is becoming so much fun, I grew up living for Griz Saturday's but ever since they FCS began losing all its good programs and they expanded the playoff field to joke levels...6-5 playoff teams...disgusting...it just took away so much of the meaning...CFB is about how every week is close to must win, but now what are we playing for really and who is the competition. Im no fair weather fan, it hasn't been the down turn in the Griz football program that has made football become an after thought for me, its the FCS in general its just hard to convince yourself thier is much at stake. O and the fact the Griz media coverage is JOKE, last year games on 5 different stations and platforms...AND Root sports has NO online option wtf. Being away from MT that makes it impossible to follow...and its even hard to get radio not that I want to with Mic gone.
At least with BB Bigsky TV works decent.
Sorry bit off topic rant but I do miss the days of watching Griz football on bigsky tv and the website had old highlights and FCS Network had good articles.
Final point on the Topic of Media Coverage...For GOD sake get this Griz BB on TV across the state on a regular basis and get Radio coverage across the state, my Dad lives in Hotsprings and can't even get the game on the damn radio...pathetic....O and one more thing get people in the seats! Hire students to drive a griz bus around and give out tickets and bring people to the game...there are simple ways to get a few more thousand in the seats and really build a home atmosphere and loyal fans...to often its half full of player parents and fans who want the griz to win cause sure, but they aren't invested enough that they are really going to think twice after they walk out if the griz lose, the football fanbase is so great because it eats at people for a whole week when the griz lose. If people go to a full house and feel the passion they will start to care, and it will cross thier minds hmm when is the next griz game I want to be thier I want to see how this season plays out.

grizindabox said:
I think the men take a step back this season....just say'n.
With Owens and Velasquez, Pridgett and the rest of an experienced team, I think that is not likely. I don't see anyone but Weber recruiting at the level of Montana, right now. The Power Conf games will determine a lot.

GrizLA said:
grizindabox said:
With Owens and Velasquez, Pridgett and the rest of an experienced team, I think that is not likely. I don't see anyone but Weber recruiting at the level of Montana, right now. The Power Conf games will determine a lot.
Velasquez?? :? I assume you mean Josh Vazquez :thumb:

GrizLA said:
grizindabox said:

Definitely a younger team, but also a deeper team! Early on, it’ll be difficult, but by conference time, look out! The cream will rise to the top! “Like buttah!”

I agree the team could take a step back this year. Rorie, Oguine, Moorehead and Akoh were excellent and the backbone of the team. Not only because of their skill but also for their confidence and experience. We will be ridiculously young. I hope these young guys are as good as the hype around them has been. They will need to be. For now I have 100% faith (hope) they will be. If we can win the Big Sky with this team this year we will be a** kicking for 2-3 more at least.

On a side note if we lose TDC then we lose him. He is exactly what we want, a young hungry coach looking to develop a program at our level and then move up. If his goal is to stay at UM and try to make us a Gonzaga (I know we use this comparison alot but that is because it is a great one) then great! I really like him and proud he repesents my alma mater. He is exactly what we should be hoping for in future coaches.

cmtgrizzly said:
I agree the team could take a step back this year. Rorie, Oguine and Akoh were excellent and the backbone of the team. Not only because of their skill but also for their confidence and experience. We will be ridiculously young. I hope these young guys are as good as the hype around them has been. They will need to be. For now I have 100% faith (hope) they will be. If we can win the Big Sky with this team this year we will be a** kicking for 2-3 more at least.

On a side note if we lose TDC then we lose him. He is exactly what we want a young hungry coach looking to develop a program at our level and then move up. If his goal is to stay at UM and try to make us a Gonzaga (I know we use this comparison alot but that is because it is a great one) then great! I really like him and proud he repesents my alma mater. He is exactly what we should be hoping for in future coaches.

:thumb:

rocklobster said:
cmtgrizzly said:
I agree the team could take a step back this year. Rorie, Oguine and Akoh were excellent and the backbone of the team. Not only because of their skill but also for their confidence and experience. We will be ridiculously young. I hope these young guys are as good as the hype around them has been. They will need to be. For now I have 100% faith (hope) they will be. If we can win the Big Sky with this team this year we will be a** kicking for 2-3 more at least.

On a side note if we lose TDC then we lose him. He is exactly what we want a young hungry coach looking to develop a program at our level and then move up. If his goal is to stay at UM and try to make us a Gonzaga (I know we use this comparison alot but that is because it is a great one) then great! I really like him and proud he repesents my alma mater. He is exactly what we should be hoping for in future coaches.

Great post. With that said, I'm not worried. When DeCuire moves on, Coach Cobb will continue what DeCuire has built. Coach Cobb will be a dynamic college head coach one day. :thumb:

As for schedule, I like how well DeCuire balances the schedule and challenges his players. I have a feeling Pridgett will have a season for the ages. Not only for GRIZ basketball, but Big Sky Conference history.

mtgrizrule said:
rocklobster said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Great post. With that said, I'm not worried. When DeCuire moves on, Coach Cobb will continue what DeCuire has built. Coach Cobb will be a dynamic college head coach one day. :thumb:

As for schedule, I like how well DeCuire balances the schedule and challenges his players. I have a feeling Pridgett will have a season for the ages. Not only for GRIZ basketball, but Big Sky Conference history.

I agree! Could be the leading scorer in the BSC! Possibly, we’ll over 20 points a game!

I’ll be attending the UNM game in Albuquerque as well as the Arkansas game in Fayetteville....looking forward to the road trips!

Big Sage said:
GONZAGA! EVERY! YEAR!

I've given up on the Zags. It's sad and pathetic really. There is a long and storied history between the 2 schools. We were in the same conference from 51-79' and UM is still Gonzaga's 10th most-played opponent all-time. Only Idaho has played them more often than the Griz among non WCC conference members, and Gonzaga is THE closest D1 college to drive to from Missoula (although MSU and Idaho are similar). After Gonzaga jumped ship to the WCC we maintained them as a yearly opponent even when Montana was the far-more prominent school nationally for the vast-majority of those contests. But then they only beat us by 3 points in 2015 and Gonzaga got scared and quit playing us. What other reason can it be? And don't say "they can't play lowly Big Sky teams now or it will hurt their Strength-of Schedule". Well, they beat Idaho State 120-79 last year and play EWU this year so that argument is bogus. Get some balls, Gonzaga. We played you when you were nobodies. What are you afraid of?

Back