• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hero Sports Griz Preview

MTGRZ said:
BrianMacHERO-SPORTS said:
MTGRZ -- Thanks buddy, appreciate you tuning in and knowing we have no malice. Sam Herder (our Big Sky guy) and I love the FCS ... we want the best for all 126 teams. I know it sounds corny, but it's true, and we're hitting 3 conference media days (including the Big Sky next week for Sam) to say it and show it.

We just say it like we see it with no Dawgs in the hunt. I have zero problem saying that my Dad's twin brother David was an MSU prof since 1989-2016. My Unc was the AFROTC commandant as a Lt. Col. for the first 4+ yrs. It broke our hearts when his family moved away from us from the south to this place called "Montana" in 1989. But when I was in HS I traveled to Montana for the first time and I got it. I wanted to go to college in Montana in the worst way (from Florida).

I watched July 4th fireworks a few times in Bozeman. Look, the whole state is badass in the summer. Can I please transport in right now and avoid this stupid Tropical situation? We're even getting feeder bands in the Tampa Bay area today. Are you getting feeder bands in Missoula?

One of the first things my Unc told me (who had grown up on Tobacco Road, gone to the Air Force Academy, and then had Auburn season tickets and loathed the 'Tide in the 1980s) was .... Brian, as a sportswriter you better learn to appreciate 'Cats-Griz. For you all, maybe it's Griz-Cats.

Whatever. I get it now.

I'm a Florida Gator grad and covered the Spurrier-Bowden years and got one-on-one time with both. I get it. Gator-Noles, whatever. I love rivalries.

Great rivalries are the lifeblood. If we didn't have them, this would be boring.

Our love for the collective is there. So again ... thanks for talking about what we're doing, you all in Griz Nation. And geezus, what does it take to get a seat there?

I'm glad you have some admiration for Montana! I just wish it was more for Missoula and less for Northeast California....;)

No answer your question about "feeder bands"....I at first thought it had to do with music....So, no. We do not have feeder bands in Montana! :D

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and willingness to talk Griz football!

Appreciate ya man!

WaGriz4life said:
Brian, do you think San Diego is good also?

Dunno, should we ask the two Big Sky playoff hosts that have been eliminated by a non-scholie Pioneer League champ since 2016? Asking for a Torero.

People rip the Southland, but at least Nicholls survived USD last year.

PS -- NON SCHOLARSHIP

WaGriz4life said:
Brian, do you think San Diego is good also?

Dunno, should we ask the two Big Sky playoff hosts that have been eliminated by a non-scholie Pioneer League champ since 2016? Asking for a Torero.

People rip the Southland, but at least Nicholls survived USD last year.

PS -- NON SCHOLARSHIP
Montana has always "survived" San Diego, even when we weren't very good.
11/29/14 Montana 52; San Diego 14
12/6/14 EWU 37; Montana 20

DuCharme said:
The Ivies thing... we’ll have a somewhat decent comparison after the 4th game. In 2018, Princeton ripped Monmouth, 51-9.

Not necessarily .... Princeton lost a TON including its heart-and-soul John Lovett. Should still be decent, but Yale's the monster on paper (after mega injuries last year to its underclassmen team that won the Ivy in 2017)

It’s not Princeton that the Griz will play.

PlayerRep said:
:idea:
PlayerRep said:
It's not the chemistry. The chemistry is very good and getting better.

The Griz should have done better last year, but most true insiders including players just graduated, have told me that the Griz actually over-achieved last year, based on the talent and situation.

The Griz just didn't have the depth and talent last year, to hang on for the wins, or even to just not collapse. My true inside sources say that the Griz often over-achieved earlier in the games, to get their leads. Just kept running out of gas.

Sneed carried the team. Great player. Under considerable pressure often. He should be much better this year, and even more better with a much better o-line. Joke on the more better.

There is a lot of talent on this team, alot of great attitude and lots of desire. Tough schedule. Can they make a big go of it this year? I think so, but part of that is hope so.

Could whoever at your shop who keeps saying how wonderful the talent is on a couple Ivy teams, please stop. It's not true. The Ivies are great. I played in the Ivies. I love the Ivies. I follow the Ivies. The Ivies don't get the consistent level of talent as the other top FCS teams get. They get some great players, but not as much overall talent. Tell that guy to stop embarrassing himself and HERO. Don't think it was you.

Good stuff!

As for the Ivies? That WAS me. I'm not evaluating film, man, it's NOT an opinion .... it's based solely on the numerous Big Ten offers and Pac 12 offers and the kids with 13 FBS offers that lead me to say that the recruiting classes at Harvard and Princeton and Yale etc are stellar. It's not me pulling it out of my ear.

The truth is? If the Griz had played Princeton last year? The Griz would have gotten their asses kicked.

In 2018 ....
UC Davis beat Griz 49-21 (28 pts)
UC Davis beat San Diego 54-21 (33 pts) - comparable scores, I'd say

Harvard beat San Diego 36-14 (22 pts) ... which tells me Harvard would have beaten Griz by 2 TDs at least

Lastly, Ivy champ Princeton beat Harvard by 7 pts and Dartmouth by 5 pts

If you look at the above, you realize both Princeton AND Harvard (and I'd throw Dartmouth in there too) would have beaten most of the Big Sky Conference. That's how Vegas would have seen it.

Still think they have no talent? Hell, I'd be proud to say I played in the Ivies looking at the above. NOW WE JUST NEED TO GET THEM INTO THE FCS PLAYOFFS, LIKE THEIR COACHES AND PLAYERS AND FANS WANT!!!!

I am taking about the quality of recruiting classes, not about whether some Ivies would have beaten a 6-5 UM team last year. There is no F-ing Harvard has had top ranked recruiting classes the last several years, as Hero has said. Jeez, Harvard was 3d in the conference last year.

I attended the Dartmouth - Princeton game. I saw Dartmouth and other Ivies on tv multiple times. I know the Dartmouth coaches. My teammate is probably the most knowledgeable person on Ivy football in the last 50 or 60 years.

The Ivies get some terrific players, but they don’t get recruiting classes like the top FCS programs. They just don’t.

If you think Harvard gets the best talent in FCS, I don’t know what to tell you, except that I will never take serious anything you say about football.

Very simple reply to this ... my recruiting ranking ... just like 247s or Rivals etc etc etc ... is based on what the offer list of the kid looks like. If I see that three Big Ten teams offered a QB who chose Princeton over Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan State ... guess what? He's going to be high in my rankings and he's also going to likely be at least a 3-star rated guy within those ranking systems everybody loves/hates to quote.

Now ... you're the guy who played in the Ivy League and knows everybody. You tell me what's the most important thing once these guys get on the Ivy campus? Is it player development for the next five years (nope, because they don't redshirt anybody, so we know it's not player development for the next FIVE years).

Is it becoming an All American first and foremost? Is it scheduling the hardest slate in America? Is it making the Rose Bowl like they used to do back in the day? Is it making the playoffs?

Nope, Nope, Nope and Nope.

My guess is? When a kid picks the Ivies over the Big Ten or Big 12 or ACC ... he's making a decision that football will be second. I'm pretty sure Coach Bagnoli would say that at Columbia, and I'm pretty sure that's why Teevens has stayed at Dartmouth, since you know them. I dealt with Teevens as an asst coach under Spurrier when I was a student. He just has a different philosophy about things, and I think it's pretty cool.

I mean, you dont have to buy into my recruiting rankings if you dont want to, but then you're just ignoring the lone measuring stick -- offer lists. Now, Montana and MSU and even NDSU people scream at us all the time that "offer lists don't mean anything". Well try telling that to a Griz assistant who just lured a kid from California away from San Diego State and Nevada and UNLV and maybe even Wazzu or Oregon State. Think it doesn't matter to that Griz asst that he beat out a Mountain West or maybe even a Pac 12 for a kid?

I bet I know the answer.

Do you really believe the "offer list", i.e. what kids say about who offered them? Those lists are not accurate. Jeez, ask some coaches about this, if you know any.

Using your offer lists, UM should never have been in the top 20, even tho UM went to the national championship game 5 times since 2000.

Brian, I don't think you were ever an actually-played-the-gamer.

Consider cutting your losses and stop saying Harvard gets the top recruits every year. They don't. They just don't

PlayerRep said:
PlayerRep said:
:idea:
Good stuff!

As for the Ivies? That WAS me. I'm not evaluating film, man, it's NOT an opinion .... it's based solely on the numerous Big Ten offers and Pac 12 offers and the kids with 13 FBS offers that lead me to say that the recruiting classes at Harvard and Princeton and Yale etc are stellar. It's not me pulling it out of my ear.

The truth is? If the Griz had played Princeton last year? The Griz would have gotten their asses kicked.

In 2018 ....
UC Davis beat Griz 49-21 (28 pts)
UC Davis beat San Diego 54-21 (33 pts) - comparable scores, I'd say

Harvard beat San Diego 36-14 (22 pts) ... which tells me Harvard would have beaten Griz by 2 TDs at least

Lastly, Ivy champ Princeton beat Harvard by 7 pts and Dartmouth by 5 pts

If you look at the above, you realize both Princeton AND Harvard (and I'd throw Dartmouth in there too) would have beaten most of the Big Sky Conference. That's how Vegas would have seen it.

Still think they have no talent? Hell, I'd be proud to say I played in the Ivies looking at the above. NOW WE JUST NEED TO GET THEM INTO THE FCS PLAYOFFS, LIKE THEIR COACHES AND PLAYERS AND FANS WANT!!!!

I am taking about the quality of recruiting classes, not about whether some Ivies would have beaten a 6-5 UM team last year. There is no F-ing Harvard has had top ranked recruiting classes the last several years, as Hero has said. Jeez, Harvard was 3d in the conference last year.

I attended the Dartmouth - Princeton game. I saw Dartmouth and other Ivies on tv multiple times. I know the Dartmouth coaches. My teammate is probably the most knowledgeable person on Ivy football in the last 50 or 60 years.

The Ivies get some terrific players, but they don’t get recruiting classes like the top FCS programs. They just don’t.

If you think Harvard gets the best talent in FCS, I don’t know what to tell you, except that I will never take serious anything you say about football.

Very simple reply to this ... my recruiting ranking ... just like 247s or Rivals etc etc etc ... is based on what the offer list of the kid looks like. If I see that three Big Ten teams offered a QB who chose Princeton over Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan State ... guess what? He's going to be high in my rankings and he's also going to likely be at least a 3-star rated guy within those ranking systems everybody loves/hates to quote.

Now ... you're the guy who played in the Ivy League and knows everybody. You tell me what's the most important thing once these guys get on the Ivy campus? Is it player development for the next five years (nope, because they don't redshirt anybody, so we know it's not player development for the next FIVE years).

Is it becoming an All American first and foremost? Is it scheduling the hardest slate in America? Is it making the Rose Bowl like they used to do back in the day? Is it making the playoffs?

Nope, Nope, Nope and Nope.

My guess is? When a kid picks the Ivies over the Big Ten or Big 12 or ACC ... he's making a decision that football will be second. I'm pretty sure Coach Bagnoli would say that at Columbia, and I'm pretty sure that's why Teevens has stayed at Dartmouth, since you know them. I dealt with Teevens as an asst coach under Spurrier when I was a student. He just has a different philosophy about things, and I think it's pretty cool.

I mean, you dont have to buy into my recruiting rankings if you dont want to, but then you're just ignoring the lone measuring stick -- offer lists. Now, Montana and MSU and even NDSU people scream at us all the time that "offer lists don't mean anything". Well try telling that to a Griz assistant who just lured a kid from California away from San Diego State and Nevada and UNLV and maybe even Wazzu or Oregon State. Think it doesn't matter to that Griz asst that he beat out a Mountain West or maybe even a Pac 12 for a kid?

I bet I know the answer.

Do you really believe the "offer list", i.e. what kids say about who offered them? Those lists are not accurate. Jeez, ask some coaches about this, if you know any.

Using your offer lists, UM should never have been in the top 20, even tho UM went to the national championship game almost 10 times since 2000.

Brian, I don't think you were ever an actually-played-the-gamer.

Consider cutting your losses and stop saying Harvard gets the top recruits every year. They don't. They just don't
They have gone 5 times since 2000. 2000, 2001,
2004, 2008 and 2009 . I would say that that's kind of a leap to say almost 10 times

[media]https://twitter.com/samherderfcs/status/1151893588181168128?s=21[/media]

Hopefully this will be prominent in the locker room somewhere. Go get em Jesse.

bgbigdog said:
[media]https://twitter.com/samherderfcs/status/1151893588181168128?s=21[/media]

Hopefully this will be prominent in the locker room somewhere. Go get em Jesse.

I don't have the skills to link a Stephen A Smith GIF but

"THAT IS BLASPHEMOUS"!!!!!!

If some of you are going to compare the two no. 37's it's not even close in my opinion. Just watch the msu-montana game sterk was constantly in the Montana backfield all game long, Sims was basically a non factor.
Then you put up the season starts and those really speak volumes.
Sims was 11 solo tackles, 31 assisted tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 1 sac and 1 forced fumble in 11 games
Sterk had 39 solo tackles, and 22 assisted tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 2 pass break ups.all be it in 2 more games.
Again this isn't a knock on Sims but he just isn't as good as sterk.

braves84 said:
If some of you are going to compare the two no. 37's it's not even close in my opinion. Just watch the msu-montana game sterk was constantly in the Montana backfield all game long, Sims was basically a non factor.
Sims was 11 solo tackles, 31 assisted tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 1 sac and 1 forced fumble in 11 games
Sterk had 39 solo tackles, and 22 assisted tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 2 pass break ups.all be it in 2 more games.

Considering that Jesse is actually playing out of position at DT for the benefit of the team and that he takes on multiple blockers rather than rush the quarterback, you can’t compare stats between the two. Jesse is highly respected by coaches for his toughness and ability to play inside. He is also one of the most humble people you will ever meet. Sterk is a force at DE. Sorry, though, you just can’t compare the two based on stats due to different positions.

go96griz said:
braves84 said:

Considering that Jesse is actually playing out of position at DT for the benefit of the team and that he takes on multiple blockers rather than rush the quarterback, you can’t compare stats between the two. Jesse is highly respected by coaches for his toughness and ability to play inside. He is also one of the most humble people you will ever meet. Sterk is a force at DE. Sorry, though, you just can’t compare the two based on stats due to different positions.
I'm not basing it all on stats, watch the Montana game against msu and tell me he wasn't a difference maker, same with the Weber State -bobcat game or the ewu-msu game the kid played big in every big game in conference.
This isn't to say Sims isn't good, just not as good.

go96griz said:
braves84 said:

They do play different positions, in different defenses. Sims isn’t playing out of position, they didn't make the mistake that Stitt & Semore made with Kidder. Jesse holds the point as well as any lineman in the league, & selflessly eats blocks so guys like Olson & Hauck can be hero’s. That doesn’t make him a non-factor, Olson was the best defender in the league last season because of guys like Jesse. I’m betting he’ll be better this season because they may have a rush end, which they haven’t for the past three seasons.

I’m just hoping they can get an all conference season from him & this is a motivating factor given 37 is the legacy number @ Montana.

braves84 said:

Hey kid, learn something about the UM offense before you post dumb stuff. The UM interior line is designed to do things that allow the backers and secondary to make the tackles and get the stats.

PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:

Hey kid, learn something about the UM offense before you post dumb stuff. The UM interior line is designed to do things that allow the backers and secondary to make the tackles and get the stats.

The problem, in a nutshell, with our offense last season...

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:

The problem, in a nutshell, with our offense last season...

I know you know, and I know, and Bob Dole knows PR meant to type “defense”. But, that drew a horse laugh.

PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:

What? how is Montana's offensive line scheme related to anything at all about my reference.

Sims and Shaw ate blocks giving the backers the lanes to make the plays so if you want to compare athlete to athlete compare sterk to Olson. Let me know what you come up with😎. Jersey number is nothing more than some writer trying to find something to write about. Creative journalism if you must. Dumb analysis comparing apples to oranges.

uofmman1122 said:
Sterk chose 37 specifically to troll Griz fans, and it seems to be going exactly as he planned. :lol:

A player from a team specifically picks the hated rival's special number to wear in order to troll the rival fan base. Who's trolling who??

Back