• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz add defensive depth

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Gaeilge1 said:
Depth is certainly improving defensively. Still a concern on both lines though. I know the staff is working on it, but sure would like to see at least one more DL and two more OL in camp to start fall drills. I know that is a tough order but it sure would be welcome.

How many transfers and downs on the 2019 version of the griz, any idea?

7 official so far (Knight, Pillans, Babros, Vinyard, Roland, Vaohea, and Tolliver). Ryder Rice will make 8 and will be official very soon. Still an outside chance at a big time O Lineman to add too.

That's not bad, I was thinking there were more. I think MSU has at least that many.

I get a little nervous when there’s a lot of transfers. Makes me feel like an overhaul but I agree I don’t think 7-8 is too many. At least not when they seem to be a good mix of various positions where Griz need instant help and depth (OL, RB, DE, CB)

grizfan1984 said:
Hopefully we can pick up Josh Walker to play DT then we will be complete

I don’t think that is in the cards. But adding Mallory might allow Longoria to move back to DL for depth purposes

dayday said:
grizfan1984 said:

I don’t think that is in the cards. But adding Mallory might allow Longoria to move back to DL for depth purposes

That would be a great move.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
How many transfers and downs on the 2019 version of the griz, any idea?

7 official so far (Knight, Pillans, Babros, Vinyard, Roland, Vaohea, and Tolliver). Ryder Rice will make 8 and will be official very soon. Still an outside chance at a big time O Lineman to add too.

That's not bad, I was thinking there were more. I think MSU has at least that many.

I get a little nervous when there’s a lot of transfers. Makes me feel like an overhaul but I agree I don’t think 7-8 is too many. At least not when they seem to be a good mix of various positions where Griz need instant help and depth (OL, RB, DE, CB)

I agree.

grizindabox said:
'68griz said:
I also worry about too many transfers and the potential lack of chemistry.

As opposed to the lack of depth and possibly talent that led to transfer route.

:lol: That wasn’t teed up for a perfect response or anything...

In fact I’d like to “worry more about chemistry” with another DT, RB, and OT pushing for starts and providing depth. We are in far better position than last year.

astutegriz said:
grizindabox said:
'68griz said:

As opposed to the lack of depth and possibly talent that led to transfer route.

:lol: That wasn’t teed up for a perfect response or anything...

In fact I’d like to “worry more about chemistry” with another DT, RB, and OT pushing for starts and providing depth. We are in far better position than last year.

Lol. Agreed on both fronts.

dayday said:
grizfan1984 said:

Do you think they will? Did he show any signs of being ready to play dline this year (I never heard a peep about him last year in his ability)?

'68griz said:
You'd rather play freshmen that are not ready physically or skills-wise? We saw too much of that last year. It loses games. If you can improve your team strength and depth, you don't miss opportunities. Our best teams have had a number of contributing transfers. The number of transfers we have now does not risk team chemistry when you have senior leaders on the field like Sneed and Olson.

Back