• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hero Sports Griz Preview

MTGRZ -- Thanks buddy, appreciate you tuning in and knowing we have no malice. Sam Herder (our Big Sky guy) and I love the FCS ... we want the best for all 126 teams. I know it sounds corny, but it's true, and we're hitting 3 conference media days (including the Big Sky next week for Sam) to say it and show it.

We just say it like we see it with no Dawgs in the hunt. I have zero problem saying that my Dad's twin brother David was an MSU prof since 1989-2016. My Unc was the AFROTC commandant as a Lt. Col. for the first 4+ yrs. It broke our hearts when his family moved away from us from the south to this place called "Montana" in 1989. But when I was in HS I traveled to Montana for the first time and I got it. I wanted to go to college in Montana in the worst way (from Florida).

I watched July 4th fireworks a few times in Bozeman. Look, the whole state is badass in the summer. Can I please transport in right now and avoid this stupid Tropical situation? We're even getting feeder bands in the Tampa Bay area today. Are you getting feeder bands in Missoula?

One of the first things my Unc told me (who had grown up on Tobacco Road, gone to the Air Force Academy, and then had Auburn season tickets and loathed the 'Tide in the 1980s) was .... Brian, as a sportswriter you better learn to appreciate 'Cats-Griz. For you all, maybe it's Griz-Cats.

Whatever. I get it now.

I'm a Florida Gator grad and covered the Spurrier-Bowden years and got one-on-one time with both. I get it. Gator-Noles, whatever. I love rivalries.

Great rivalries are the lifeblood. If we didn't have them, this would be boring.

Our love for the collective is there. So again ... thanks for talking about what we're doing, you all in Griz Nation. And geezus, what does it take to get a seat there?

BrianMacHERO-SPORTS said:
Well ... I'll be blunt:

My honest thoughts are that this is a sleeping giant FCS program -- just like Delaware, just like the 'Cats. And I think all three will be quaterfinalist type programs ... soon. This year? Maybe, maybe not ... but all three will be soon once a complete cycle of recruits flushes through, etc etc.

I'd use the word "hibernation" with the Griz program except immediately afterwards I should be tarred and feathered in effigy for breaking that rule for writers -- that you don't make corny remarks about a team using its mascot.

So I won't type that the Griz have been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015. Even though they've been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015.

I mean, Dalton Sneed? Robbie Hauck? NFL Draft prospect Dante Olson? Samuel Akem, etc etc etc? There's a reason we included them in our All-American series last December and in the preseason version earlier this summer. I mean, when I left Gabe Sulser off the elite recruiting list when he was a senior in HS? I was lambasted for it by Griz fans. And you know what? You were right. Kid's insanely good. I could go on and on and on about the individual talent on this roster.

But here's my problem ... has the chemistry set in yet? We thought they'd be good last year in the preseason, they opened with an impressive win over a very good UNI team, and then they never really looked "FCS elite" again the rest of the year. I just didn't get it.

But yeah, I could see this being the breakthrough season. It's just that we (outsiders) can't be the ones "having faith" in a program, ya know? Results/facts are what we base our preseason work on. I think this team is loaded with individual talent, it just has to prove that it can play "as one" an entire year.

When that happens (and it will happen, soon) ... holy crap the FCS better watch out, because you know this team is going to win under Hauck. We've seen it before.

That's my three cents worth.

It's not the chemistry. The chemistry is very good and getting better.

The Griz should have done better last year, but most true insiders including players just graduated, have told me that the Griz actually over-achieved last year, based on the talent and situation.

The Griz just didn't have the depth and talent last year, to hang on for the wins, or even to just not collapse. My true inside sources say that the Griz often over-achieved earlier in the games, to get their leads. Just kept running out of gas.

Sneed carried the team. Great player. Under considerable pressure often. He should be much better this year, and even more better with a much better o-line. Joke on the more better.

There is a lot of talent on this team, alot of great attitude and lots of desire. Tough schedule. Can they make a big go of it this year? I think so, but part of that is hope so.

Could whoever at your shop who keeps saying how wonderful the talent is on a couple Ivy teams, please stop. It's not true. The Ivies are great. I played in the Ivies. I love the Ivies. I follow the Ivies. The Ivies don't get the consistent level of talent as the other top FCS teams get. They get some great players, but not as much overall talent. Tell that guy to stop embarrassing himself and HERO. Don't think it was you.

Hey Griz fans .... Brian McLaughlin from HERO Sports here. I'd been checking the analytics on our previews to see which fanbases were tuning into them the most, and I saw this damned spike with Griz and Cats fans. I was trying to figure out why, and now I get it ... you guys posted it here!

MUCH appreciated that you all are engaged in Sam's preview work. We bust our asses over 5 weeks producing 126 of these for the FCS level, and when a diehard fanbase like yours pays attention, it makes us remember why.

Appreciate y'all (Southern speak) ... season's almost here.

Brian....from Griz nation....you are welcome......go Griz !

PlayerRep said:
Well ... I'll be blunt:

My honest thoughts are that this is a sleeping giant FCS program -- just like Delaware, just like the 'Cats. And I think all three will be quaterfinalist type programs ... soon. This year? Maybe, maybe not ... but all three will be soon once a complete cycle of recruits flushes through, etc etc.

I'd use the word "hibernation" with the Griz program except immediately afterwards I should be tarred and feathered in effigy for breaking that rule for writers -- that you don't make corny remarks about a team using its mascot.

So I won't type that the Griz have been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015. Even though they've been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015.

I mean, Dalton Sneed? Robbie Hauck? NFL Draft prospect Dante Olson? Samuel Akem, etc etc etc? There's a reason we included them in our All-American series last December and in the preseason version earlier this summer. I mean, when I left Gabe Sulser off the elite recruiting list when he was a senior in HS? I was lambasted for it by Griz fans. And you know what? You were right. Kid's insanely good. I could go on and on and on about the individual talent on this roster.

But here's my problem ... has the chemistry set in yet? We thought they'd be good last year in the preseason, they opened with an impressive win over a very good UNI team, and then they never really looked "FCS elite" again the rest of the year. I just didn't get it.

But yeah, I could see this being the breakthrough season. It's just that we (outsiders) can't be the ones "having faith" in a program, ya know? Results/facts are what we base our preseason work on. I think this team is loaded with individual talent, it just has to prove that it can play "as one" an entire year.

When that happens (and it will happen, soon) ... holy crap the FCS better watch out, because you know this team is going to win under Hauck. We've seen it before.

The Griz should have done better last year, but most true insiders including players just graduated, have told me that the Griz actually over-achieved last year, based on the talent and situation.

The Griz just didn't have the depth and talent last year, to hang on for the wins, or even to just not collapse. My true inside sources say that the Griz often over-achieved earlier in the games, to get their leads. Just kept running out of gas.

Sneed carried the team. Great player. Under considerable pressure often. He should be much better this year, and even more better with a much better o-line. Joke on the more better.

There is a lot of talent on this team, alot of great attitude and lots of desire. Tough schedule. Can they make a big go of it this year? I think so, but part of that is hope so.

Could whoever at your shop who keeps saying how wonderful the talent is on a couple Ivy teams, please stop. It's not true. The Ivies are great. I played in the Ivies. I love the Ivies. I follow the Ivies. The Ivies don't get the consistent level of talent as the other top FCS teams get. They get some great players, but not as much overall talent. Tell that guy to stop embarrassing himself and HERO. Don't think it was you.

Good stuff!

As for the Ivies? That WAS me. I'm not evaluating film, man, it's NOT an opinion .... it's based solely on the numerous Big Ten offers and Pac 12 offers and the kids with 13 FBS offers that lead me to say that the recruiting classes at Harvard and Princeton and Yale etc are stellar. It's not me pulling it out of my ear.

The truth is? If the Griz had played Princeton last year? The Griz would have gotten their asses kicked.

In 2018 ....
UC Davis beat Griz 49-21 (28 pts)
UC Davis beat San Diego 54-21 (33 pts) - comparable scores, I'd say

Harvard beat San Diego 36-14 (22 pts) ... which tells me Harvard would have beaten Griz by 2 TDs at least

Lastly, Ivy champ Princeton beat Harvard by 7 pts and Dartmouth by 5 pts

If you look at the above, you realize both Princeton AND Harvard (and I'd throw Dartmouth in there too) would have beaten most of the Big Sky Conference. That's how Vegas would have seen it.

Still think they have no talent? Hell, I'd be proud to say I played in the Ivies looking at the above. NOW WE JUST NEED TO GET THEM INTO THE FCS PLAYOFFS, LIKE THEIR COACHES AND PLAYERS AND FANS WANT!!!!

krammer said:
Hey Griz fans .... Brian McLaughlin from HERO Sports here. I'd been checking the analytics on our previews to see which fanbases were tuning into them the most, and I saw this damned spike with Griz and Cats fans. I was trying to figure out why, and now I get it ... you guys posted it here!

MUCH appreciated that you all are engaged in Sam's preview work. We bust our asses over 5 weeks producing 126 of these for the FCS level, and when a diehard fanbase like yours pays attention, it makes us remember why.

Appreciate y'all (Southern speak) ... season's almost here.

Brian....from Griz nation....you are welcome......go Griz !

THANK KRAMMER, APPRECIATE YA BUDDY!

Still think they have no talent? Hell, I'd be proud to say I played in the Ivies looking at the above. NOW WE JUST NEED TO GET THEM INTO THE FCS PLAYOFFS, LIKE THEIR COACHES AND PLAYERS AND FANS WANT!!!!
Be careful what you ask for.

kemajic said:
Be careful what you ask for.

CORRECTION: Be careful what {I'll be writing a loud column about during 'opening week'} for

Hmm … I’m always skeptical of “My team beat this team by x, and that team beat you by y, so my team would beat yours by x+y.” Now, BrianMac did not put it that way, but it was still a variation. And, of course, it generally does not work like that.

In any case, I’m not sure the issue is how much individual talent there is in the Ivy. I can accept that the numbers show a lot of good players in the conference. The more relevant issue is, IMO, the strength of the teams in the conference as a whole. That issue came up earlier on the “Pre Season Polls” thread. The discussion wandered over into a ranking of overall conference strength, as projected by Craig Haley at STATS.com. I can’t find where he put the Ivy, but I seem to recall that is was something like #8-9. Here’s what I said on that thread:
Got a hoot out of one fan who replied, “the Ivy League should be in the top 5, as was proven last year.”

Of course, one rebuttal came through right away: “Your conference doesn't participate in the playoffs. no one cares about your conference.”

Still, out of fairness, I wondered what got the Ivy guy all wound up. The Ivy did indeed appear dominant in its OOC results: If I counted right, they were 19-5. Looks like a Wow!

But there are a few glaring cracks in that armor. First, 17 of those wins – i. e., all but two – came against opponents in the Pioneer League (weakest FCS conference, #13), the Patriot (#11), the NEC (#10) and the Big South [1 game] (#8). BFD.

They did manage to beat Mercer (5-6) in the SoCon (ranked #5 conference). The only "quality win" was a home upset of Maine (CAA) by Yale.

Except for the Maine shocker, whenever an Ivy played a team from a quality conference … they lost. That included a loss to Cal Poly (5-6) and two teams losing to Rhode Island (6-5). Not exactly a dominant resume.
Certainly Princeton (and let's not forget Dartmouth) dominated the Ivy last year. Very impressive. But the teams they dominated did not prove themselves against quality opposition. Now, we all know the schedule depends upon who's willing to play who ... so the Ivy does not get much chance to play teams from stronger conferences. Sad ... but, "It is what it is."

:idea:
PlayerRep said:
Well ... I'll be blunt:

Good stuff!

As for the Ivies? That WAS me. I'm not evaluating film, man, it's NOT an opinion .... it's based solely on the numerous Big Ten offers and Pac 12 offers and the kids with 13 FBS offers that lead me to say that the recruiting classes at Harvard and Princeton and Yale etc are stellar. It's not me pulling it out of my ear.

The truth is? If the Griz had played Princeton last year? The Griz would have gotten their asses kicked.

In 2018 ....

Harvard beat San Diego 36-14 (22 pts) ... which tells me Harvard would have beaten Griz by 2 TDs at least

If you look at the above, you realize both Princeton AND Harvard (and I'd throw Dartmouth in there too) would have beaten most of the Big Sky Conference. That's how Vegas would have seen it.

I am talking about the quality of recruiting classes, not about whether some Ivies would have beaten a 6-5 UM team last year. There is no F-ing Harvard has had top ranked recruiting classes the last several years, as Hero has said. Jeez, Harvard was 3d in the conference last year.

I attended the Dartmouth - Princeton game. I saw Dartmouth and other Ivies on tv multiple times. I know the Dartmouth coaches. My teammate is probably the most knowledgeable person on Ivy football in the last 50 or 60 years.

The Ivies get some terrific players, but they don’t get recruiting classes like the top FCS programs. They just don’t.

If you think Harvard gets the best talent in FCS, I don’t know what to tell you, except that I will never take serious anything you say about football.

PlayerRep said:
PlayerRep said:
Well ... I'll be blunt:

Good stuff!

In 2018 ....

I am taking about the quality of recruiting classes, not about whether some Ivies would have beaten a 6-5 UM team last year. There is no F-ing Harvard has had top ranked recruiting classes the last several years, as Hero has said. Jeez, Harvard was 3d in the conference last year.

I attended the Dartmouth - Princeton game. I saw Dartmouth and other Ivies on tv multiple times. I know the Dartmouth coaches. My teammate is probably the most knowledgeable person on Ivy football in the last 50 or 60 years.

The Ivies get some terrific players, but they don’t get recruiting classes like the top FCS programs. They just don’t.

If you think Harvard gets the best talent in FCS, I don’t know what to tell you, except that I will never take serious anything you say about football.

Very simple reply to this ... my recruiting ranking ... just like 247s or Rivals etc etc etc ... is based on what the offer list of the kid looks like. If I see that three Big Ten teams offered a QB who chose Princeton over Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan State ... guess what? He's going to be high in my rankings and he's also going to likely be at least a 3-star rated guy within those ranking systems everybody loves/hates to quote.

Now ... you're the guy who played in the Ivy League and knows everybody. You tell me what's the most important thing once these guys get on the Ivy campus? Is it player development for the next five years (nope, because they don't redshirt anybody, so we know it's not player development for the next FIVE years).

Is it becoming an All American first and foremost? Is it scheduling the hardest slate in America? Is it making the Rose Bowl like they used to do back in the day? Is it making the playoffs?

Nope, Nope, Nope and Nope.

My guess is? When a kid picks the Ivies over the Big Ten or Big 12 or ACC ... he's making a decision that football will be second. I'm pretty sure Coach Bagnoli would say that at Columbia, and I'm pretty sure that's why Teevens has stayed at Dartmouth, since you know them. I dealt with Teevens as an asst coach under Spurrier when I was a student. He just has a different philosophy about things, and I think it's pretty cool.

I mean, you dont have to buy into my recruiting rankings if you dont want to, but then you're just ignoring the lone measuring stick -- offer lists. Now, Montana and MSU and even NDSU people scream at us all the time that "offer lists don't mean anything". Well try telling that to a Griz assistant who just lured a kid from California away from San Diego State and Nevada and UNLV and maybe even Wazzu or Oregon State. Think it doesn't matter to that Griz asst that he beat out a Mountain West or maybe even a Pac 12 for a kid?

I bet I know the answer.

They chose to eschew the tournament so why have them in the rankings?
I also don’t believe their best are top fifteen worthy. God, did I agree with him out loud? But nobody is ever going to know unless the come down off the Mt. Olympus and mingle with the common folks.

The Ivies thing... we’ll have a somewhat decent comparison after the 4th game. In 2018, Princeton ripped Monmouth, 51-9.

Is any one else scared that if PlayerRep gets his printer and high speed sorted out at the lake house this poor guy is going to get "the mother of all responses"?

DuCharme said:
The Ivies thing... we’ll have a somewhat decent comparison after the 4th game. In 2018, Princeton ripped Monmouth, 51-9.

Not necessarily .... Princeton lost a TON including its heart-and-soul John Lovett. Should still be decent, but Yale's the monster on paper (after mega injuries last year to its underclassmen team that won the Ivy in 2017)

SaskGriz said:
Is any one else scared that if PlayerRep gets his printer and high speed sorted out at the lake house this poor guy is going to get "the mother of all responses"?

+1 :lol:

PlayerRep said:
PlayerRep said:
Well ... I'll be blunt:

Good stuff!

In 2018 ....

I am talking about the quality of recruiting classes, not about whether some Ivies would have beaten a 6-5 UM team last year. There is no F-ing Harvard has had top ranked recruiting classes the last several years, as Hero has said. Jeez, Harvard was 3d in the conference last year.

100% spot on. I now feel worse about him thinking the Griz will have a breakout year. The kids that sign with Ivies and San Diego are not the same type of guys that sign with schools in the Big Sky and other top level fcs conferences.

MTGRZ -- Thanks buddy, appreciate you tuning in and knowing we have no malice. Sam Herder (our Big Sky guy) and I love the FCS ... we want the best for all 126 teams. I know it sounds corny, but it's true, and we're hitting 3 conference media days (including the Big Sky next week for Sam) to say it and show it.

We just say it like we see it with no Dawgs in the hunt. I have zero problem saying that my Dad's twin brother David was an MSU prof since 1989-2016. My Unc was the AFROTC commandant as a Lt. Col. for the first 4+ yrs. It broke our hearts when his family moved away from us from the south to this place called "Montana" in 1989. But when I was in HS I traveled to Montana for the first time and I got it. I wanted to go to college in Montana in the worst way (from Florida).

I watched July 4th fireworks a few times in Bozeman. Look, the whole state is badass in the summer. Can I please transport in right now and avoid this stupid Tropical situation? We're even getting feeder bands in the Tampa Bay area today. Are you getting feeder bands in Missoula?

One of the first things my Unc told me (who had grown up on Tobacco Road, gone to the Air Force Academy, and then had Auburn season tickets and loathed the 'Tide in the 1980s) was .... Brian, as a sportswriter you better learn to appreciate 'Cats-Griz. For you all, maybe it's Griz-Cats.

Whatever. I get it now.

I'm a Florida Gator grad and covered the Spurrier-Bowden years and got one-on-one time with both. I get it. Gator-Noles, whatever. I love rivalries.

Great rivalries are the lifeblood. If we didn't have them, this would be boring.

Our love for the collective is there. So again ... thanks for talking about what we're doing, you all in Griz Nation. And geezus, what does it take to get a seat there?

I'm glad you have some admiration for Montana! I just wish it was more for Missoula and less for Northeast California....;)

No answer your question about "feeder bands"....I at first thought it had to do with music....So, no. We do not have feeder bands in Montana! :D

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and willingness to talk Griz football!

Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
SaskGriz said:

+1 :lol:

+2 :clap:

Well. We can't all have the mother of all high speed printers at our lakehouses, can we? Oh wait, I don't think ya'll typed it exactly that way. Y'all have a good one! Thread's done on my end -- Signed, the guy who goes to a cabin in the deep woods without electricity (not Teddy K style though, promise)

Back