• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Facilities

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
So we are stuck in the Big Sky. Wonderful. Why more athletic facilities? Then the contingency plans are a myth?

You seemed to gloss over the "not currently positioned" part of Kems post. He also believes that you are kicking the bucket in the short term future.
It isn’t responsible building fancy athletic facilities and funding 63 scholarships to compete in a small college conference.
A successful UM athletic program is one of the cogs in the recovery of the University as a place to go. You were here when no one cared and how much fun that was. Being in the Skyline Conference might have been notable, but it wasn't much fun getting trucked week after week. Time to shed the troglodyte coat and get on board with RTD, even if it's small college and the BSC. Maybe we need to have lunch again so I can swat it into your head. lol

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
So we are stuck in the Big Sky. Wonderful. Why more athletic facilities? Then the contingency plans are a myth?

You seemed to gloss over the "not currently positioned" part of Kems post. He also believes that you are kicking the bucket in the short term future.
It isn’t responsible building fancy athletic facilities and funding 63 scholarships to compete in a small college conference.
A successful UM athletic program is one of the cogs in the recovery of the University as a place to go. You were here when no on cared and how much fun that was. Being in the Skyline Conference might have been notable, but it wasn't much fun getting trucked week after week. Time to shed the troglodyte coat and get on board with RTD, even if it's small college and the BSC. Maybe we need to have lunch again so I can swat it into your head. lol

Even though I have jabbed you about small college a few times, my view is that FCS, Big Sky conference, and UM football are hardly small college. They are big time football. Not P5, but still big time. The top teams in FCS can compete with and knock the bottom half or so of FBS, and sometimes knock off some in the top half. I love watching and following the Griz. I love our guys, and coaches. They should be very proud and satisfied that they compete at this high level. Many UM players could play at the FBS level and some even at the P5 level.

I agree that UM needs RTD. I am confident that Hauck et al will get them there fairly soon.

If major realignment or other big chances occur in college football, I am all in favor of being prepared and looking at what comes. And deciding to do whatever makes sense at the time. Go Griz.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

A successful UM athletic program is one of the cogs in the recovery of the University as a place to go. You were here when no on cared and how much fun that was. Being in the Skyline Conference might have been notable, but it wasn't much fun getting trucked week after week. Time to shed the troglodyte coat and get on board with RTD, even if it's small college and the BSC. Maybe we need to have lunch again so I can swat it into your head. lol
Oh, we won once in awhile in those days. At least, we played someone. As for lunch, good idea, although it won’t take much swatting.😀

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:

Even though I have jabbed you about small college a few times, my view is that FCS, Big Sky conference, and UM football are hardly small college. They are big time football. Not P5, but still big time. The top teams in FCS can compete with and knock the bottom half or so of FBS, and sometimes knock off some in the top half. I love watching and following the Griz. I love our guys, and coaches. They should be very proud and satisfied that they compete at this high level. Many UM players could play at the FBS level and some even at the P5 level.

I agree that UM needs RTD. I am confident that Hauck et al will get them there fairly soon.

If major realignment or other big chances occur in college football, I am all in favor of being prepared and looking at what comes. And deciding to do whatever makes sense at the time. Go Griz.
You realize, of course, that the term "small college" is my own jab. FCS was in fact "small college, or college division" prior to 1978 and the labeling change. As unusual as it seems, I'm in agreement with each of your points. Spanky is a dedicated fan and I'll take on the responsibility to reduce the annoyance and bring him into the modern era.

Jaymerz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Just curious: Why wouldn't it be covered by insurance?

This sounds like a maintenance/deterioration issue, which property insurance policies don't typically cover. (If they did cover maintenance/wear and tear, nobody could afford the premiums...) The contractor's or architect's insurance MIGHT get pulled in if the problem is traced to something they did wrong, but unlikely this many years out from construction. If the leaking had been caused by a single, sudden and accidental, direct physical loss, such as windstorm, hail, tornado, fire, etc., then building insurance would likely cover it. I'm guessing the university explored all options when the problem was originally identified.

Makes sense. Thanks, Jaymerz.

Player, the Big Sky Conference or the FCS is a stretch to be classified as big time football. I would suggest a more accurate classification would be the B League of FBS. No doubt, some FCS teams, on occasion, can beat good FBS teams, but not on a regular basis. With the exception of three or four teams, FCS isn’t big time football.

Bottom line: adapt and grow, or die. The University of Montana is finding its way after learning the hard way they must adapt to grow in an ever-changing world. MSU was behind UM for a long time but made changes to promote growth in the 21st century; UM now must adapt to make things right again. I believe they will, and yes, athletics is a part of that. To deny a strong athletic program doesn't matter in 2019 and is naive. UM needs to continue to promote athletics and (obviously) make a concerted effort to reach more prospective students and then keep them once they hit campus. It can be done-and I have faith it will be done.

Does anyone remember this whole campaign Montana initiative launched back in October? Look at how much money has been raised for athletics. Any chance this could be the starting point for an indoor practice facility?
https://www.campaignmontana.org/support-area/grizzly-athletics/

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:

You realize, of course, that the term "small college" is my own jab. FCS was in fact "small college, or college division" prior to 1978 and the labeling change. As unusual as it seems, I'm in agreement with each of your points. Spanky is a dedicated fan and I'll take on the responsibility to reduce the annoyance and bring him into the modern era.

And D-I schools, like the Ivies, “dropped” to FCS when the division was created.

Spanky2 said:
Player, the Big Sky Conference or the FCS is a stretch to be classified as big time football. I would suggest a more accurate classification would be the B League of FBS. No doubt, some FCS teams, on occasion, can beat good FBS teams, but not on a regular basis. With the exception of three or four teams, FCS isn’t big time football.

I don’t agree. The top of FCS is big time football. Ask the 100s of guys who have gone from the FCS to the NFL. See what they think.

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

I don’t agree. The top of FCS is big time football. Ask the 100s of guys who have gone from the FCS to the NFL. See what they think.
Prior to 78 DivII was huge. When the cats brag about there 76 NC they really do have a point. DivII in the 70's was all of todays DivII all of FCS and a good amount of teams that are lower tier FBS. It was big time football and so is today's FCS.

Ivy schools voted to stick together and I-A schools voted them out. 4 of Ivy schools didn't have big enough stadiums, and the league wanted to stay together. Preferred to stay I-A.

"Harvard officials yesterday criticized the demotion of the football programs of Harvard and seven other Ivy League schools from Division 1-A, the top classification of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Representatives of the 137 Division 1-A schools voted by a show of hands at a special convention Friday in St. Louis to change the requirements for membership in Division 1-A, leaving Ivy League schools ineligible.

"I think it's a very sad situation," John P. Reardon Jr. '60, director of athletics, said yesterday. "We wanted to stay in Division 1-A based on our tradition--basically Harvard, Yale and Princeton started the NCAA. I don't think it's a good omen for college athletics.

He added that the NCAA, which stresses education and athletics, should get rid of "football businesses" like the universities of Oklahoma and Texas."

"The entire exercise is one that leaves me very cold indeed," President Bok said yesterday. "It seems to me to reflect primarily the commercial orientation of college sports that I think has been a source of considerable harm to what institutions of higher education are trying to accomplish."

A lot of schools were forced to move down to I-AA.

"As a result of the convention's vote, Ivy League teams, and those of approximately 40 other schools, including eastern teams Holy Cross and Colgate, will move down a notch to Division 1-AA, reducing the top division from 137 members to under 100."

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1981/12/7/harvard-officials-criticize-ncaas-vote-to/

Well, as long as you think Northern Colorado, Dixie State, Central Washington is Big Time Football, I guess it’s Big Time Football.😈

Spanky2 said:
Above comment intended for outlaw
It would surprise me if you've ever put a jock on in your life. Let me guess you were the best chess player on the baseball team and the best baseball player on the chess team when you gave up the jock to collect baseball cards at 12.

indian-outlaw said:
Spanky2 said:
It would surprise me if you've ever put a jock on in your life. Let me guess, you were the best chess player on the baseball team and the best baseball player on the chess team when you gave up the jock to collect baseball cards at 12.

indian-outlaw said:
indian-outlaw said:
Spanky2 said:
It would surprise me if you've ever put a jock on in your life. Let me guess, you were the best chess player on the baseball team and the best baseball player on the chess team when you gave up the jock to collect baseball cards at 12.
I see, a wise guy! We don’t agree, so you launch a personal attack. Come to think about it, I was a good chess player.

Griz til I die said:
Does anyone remember this whole campaign Montana initiative launched back in October? Look at how much money has been raised for athletics. Any chance this could be the starting point for an indoor practice facility?
https://www.campaignmontana.org/support-area/grizzly-athletics/

Bumping this until we all donate some money. Just kidding, but not really. Let's get this done!

(I know it will be a while, but there's no problem getting excited for the future, today!)

Spanky2 said:

That might be but the current favorites of the Big Sky Conference has invested big time in its facilities and will be first FCS school chosen to play USC in the Coliseum. That game alone will have a hundred thousand seats filled and a few million nationwide. UC Davis won't be sticking around with schools like Montana or Idaho for long I suspect. I think there is going to be a major reorganization soon in college sports. Growing universities with tough standards seem to attract people who demand high standards and are willing to tax themselves to achieve them. I cannot believe some of the things I read on this site. Why on earth would anyone want to lower standards to increase enrollment when UM barely has any now compared to the leading state schools?

GrizLA said:
Spanky2 said:

That might be but the current favorites of the Big Sky Conference has invested big time in its facilities and will be first FCS school chosen to play USC in the Coliseum. That game alone will have a hundred thousand seats filled and a few million nationwide. UC Davis won't be sticking around with schools like Montana or Idaho for long I suspect. I think there is going to be a major reorganization soon in college sports. Growing universities with tough standards seem to attract people who demand high standards and are willing to tax themselves to achieve them. I cannot believe some of the things I read on this site. Why on earth would anyone want to lower standards to increase enrollment when UM barely has any now compared to the leading state schools?
Montana has gotten itself into a (hopefully temporary) pickle with a seriously declined enrollment relative to its facilities which can handle more like 17,000 than 10,000. Every new student enrolled is thusly purely incremental, so the added revenue goes straight to the bottom line. It may be in survival mode in this period and lax admission standards might be forgiven until the ship has been righted.

Back