• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Think about it. He wants to play here, we want him, and he can apply for another grad program but is not even going to try because he knows any other U will respond faster than UM on acceptance. This lack of response happens over and over and over and over with regular students too. Wonder why numbers are down...

If this pisses you off, if even only as a b-ball fan, let the U admin know this is unacceptable because I’m telling you, it is still amateur hour there.

For anyone who has applied for grad schools and most importantly wants the process to be fair and equitable, you want it to be this way. Moreover if you are attending these graduate programs that have standards such as these, you want them to maintain them as much as possible. Sure as shit you don't want your spot in line jumped by a kid who has a college scholarship for basketball.

I'm sorry that Jahshire couldn't make it work here, and I respect his decision to look for schools that will admit him. This isn't on the UM or its grad school programs in the slightest.

Grizfan-24 said:
For anyone who has applied for grad schools and most importantly wants the process to be fair and equitable, you want it to be this way. Moreover if you are attending these graduate programs that have standards such as these, you want them to maintain them as much as possible. Sure as shit you don't want your spot in line jumped by a kid who has a college scholarship for basketball.

I'm sorry that Jahshire couldn't make it work here, and I respect his decision to look for schools that will admit him. This isn't on the UM or its grad school programs in the slightest.

Agreed on acceptance standards, but not on the lack of turnaround time, which is and has been an epidemic. I know many undergrads over the past few years who ran into problems due to a lack of response time and that is impacting numbers. That is what bothers me most. This isn’t a one-off...

maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:
Man kind of a bummer. All on timing too and waiting for an answer. I guess I’m wondering why he even tried a program that required a 3.0 when he has a 2.65. Seemed like a wasted of time even trying that.

And where were the UM Academic/Athletic advisers during this cluster F#*K?

Totally! That’s why I’m confused too. Seems like something that could have easily been avoided

StumptownGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
dayday said:
https://twitter.com/jahshirehardnet/status/1148747418026094592?s=21

What a weird summer for the basketball team..
I thought he seemed squirrely any way

This might translate to "After playing some summer pick up ball against Josh Vazquez and Kyle Owens, I decided I better get the hell out of town if I want to see the floor during my grad-transfer year"

OR.....what happened is exactly what the Kyle Hansen reported.

astutegriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Agreed on acceptance standards, but not on the lack of turnaround time, which is and has been an epidemic. I know many undergrads over the past few years who ran into problems due to a lack of response time and that is impacting numbers. That is what bothers me most. This isn’t a one-off...

There’s word on the football board that our new transfer from Rocky Mountain Ryder Rice was denied Grad School entry even with his 3.4 GPA. WTF

HookedonGriz said:
astutegriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

There’s word on the football board that our new transfer from Rocky Mountain Ryder Rice was denied Grad School entry even with his 3.4 GPA. WTF

And denied or not, why this long to find out.

MSU is kicking UM in enrollment because they recruit students and respond right away. This has been pointed out over and over for probably a decade now by so many people, but little has changed that I’ve seen.

GrizWhiz said:
StumptownGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
dayday said:
https://twitter.com/jahshirehardnet/status/1148747418026094592?s=21

What a weird summer for the basketball team..

This might translate to "After playing some summer pick up ball against Josh Vazquez and Kyle Owens, I decided I better get the hell out of town if I want to see the floor during my grad-transfer year"

Really? Ya Think? Sorry I forgot to use the sarcasm font for you. I'm a big fan of the young guys we got and I think we'll be ok here was my point.

HookedonGriz said:
astutegriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I have NO info regarding what has transpired with these two young athletes and do not want my own experience (read on) to have specific bearing on this...HOWEVER, what astutegriz relates is, unfortunately painfully true in the case of a young close family relative of mine. This Montana H.S. schooled scholar (4.0 and the school's valedictorian) selected UM as FIRST choice and applied a full 11 months previous to the beginning of classes. Nothing, not a peep from UM, even after several inquiries were made. Meanwhile, reps from MSU called, emailed or texted weekly (sometimes more often). Finally, in May, my young relative scholar re-opened the application process and was immediately accepted at several schools... settling upon a highly regarded west coast liberal arts university on a full ride scholarship. Montana could have had this student & the disregard from UM made me sick.

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
astutegriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I have NO info regarding what has transpired with these two young athletes and do not want my own experience (read on) to have specific bearing on this...HOWEVER, what astutegriz relates is, unfortunately painfully true in the case of a young close family relative of mine. This Montana H.S. schooled scholar (4.0 and the school's valedictorian) selected UM as FIRST choice and applied a full 11 months previous to the beginning of classes. Nothing, not a peep from UM, even after several inquiries were made. Meanwhile, reps from MSU called. emailed or texted weekly (sometimes more often). Finally, in May, my young relative scholar re-opened the application process and was immediately accepted at several schools... settling upon a highly regarded west coast liberal arts university on a full ride scholarship. Montana could have had this student & the disregard from UM made me sick.

Please tell me you’ve shared this exact story with President Bodnar and others who can make changes

StumptownGriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
StumptownGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Really? Ya Think? Sorry I forgot to use the sarcasm font for you. I'm a big fan of the young guys we got and I think we'll be ok here was my point.
Okey Doke! :thumb:

HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
astutegriz said:

I have NO info regarding what has transpired with these two young athletes and do not want my own experience (read on) to have specific bearing on this...HOWEVER, what astutegriz relates is, unfortunately painfully true in the case of a young close family relative of mine. This Montana H.S. schooled scholar (4.0 and the school's valedictorian) selected UM as FIRST choice and applied a full 11 months previous to the beginning of classes. Nothing, not a peep from UM, even after several inquiries were made. Meanwhile, reps from MSU called. emailed or texted weekly (sometimes more often). Finally, in May, my young relative scholar re-opened the application process and was immediately accepted at several schools... settling upon a highly regarded west coast liberal arts university on a full ride scholarship. Montana could have had this student & the disregard from UM made me sick.

Please tell me you’ve shared this exact story with President Bodnar and others who can make changes

I have not. This happened the year before Pres. Bodnar was hired, my young relative is very happy with how things turned out... and I was/am hopeful things are actually starting to get addressed here... despite lingering stories regarding how UM officials recruit (or don't). I'd be fully willing to provide details (after getting consent from my relative) if contacted.

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

I have not. This happened the year before Pres. Bodnar was hired, my young relative is very happy with how things turned out... and I was/am hopeful things are actually starting to get addressed here... despite lingering stories regarding how UM officials recruit (or don't). I'd be fully willing to provide details (after getting consent from my relative) if contacted.
You need to share your experience with the UM administration! Hearing about more failings should provide the opportunity for future improvements.

grizband said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

You need to share your experience with the UM administration! Hearing about more failings should provide the opportunity for future improvements.

Ok, will do some time in August. I know how to address this and with whom. Meantime, my comments took this thread off course a bit. Back to hoops.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizband said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

Ok, will do some time in August. I know how to address this and with whom. Meantime, my comments took this thread off course a bit. Back to hoops.
The thread topic may have derailed, but you highlighted a frustration many of us carry with the University. I also have no first hand knowledge, but have been told stories about the lack of communication, or slow moving communication, from various entities in the school. For a school with declining enrollment, these are not areas we can afford to mismanage.

grizband said:
grizzlyjournal said:
grizband said:
grizzlyjournal said:

The thread topic may have derailed, but you highlighted a frustration many of us carry with the University. I also have no first hand knowledge, but have been told stories about the lack of communication, or slow moving communication, from various entities in the school. For a school with declining enrollment, these are not areas we can afford to mismanage.

Agreed, grizband. I rode my bike across the campus in evening-glow the other night and marveled at its stunning beauty... and then became subsequently baffled at the realization that, within another 45 days, the school will face another drop in enrollment. I've wondered often recently if an independent "Friends of the University" alumni consortium could get formed to serve as a catalyst for some "third party" fact gathering symposium. Public. Open. Candid. Hard-hitting, yet supportive. Simply put, this university cannot absorb many more drops in enrollment without some serious consequences within another 5 years. Officials should be finding ways to accept and enroll all students. I see little rationale in sticking to phantom (poorly articulated) standards that ignore or turn-away any potential students.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizband said:
grizzlyjournal said:
grizband said:

Agreed, grizband. I rode my bike across the campus in evening-glow the other night and marveled at its stunning beauty... and then became subsequently baffled at the realization that, within another 45 days, the school will face another drop in enrollment. I've wondered often recently if an independent "Friends of the University" alumni consortium could rget formed to serve as a catalyst for some "third party" fact gathering symposium. Public. Open. Candid. Hard-hitting, yet supportive. Simply put, this university cannot absorb many more drops in enrollment without some serious consequences within another 5 years. Officials should be finding ways to recruit, accept and enroll all students. I see little rationale in sticking to phantom (poorly articulated) standards that ignore or turn-away any potential students.

grizzlyjournal said:
Agreed, grizband. I rode my bike across the campus in evening-glow the other night and marveled at its stunning beauty... and then became subsequently baffled at the realization that, within another 45 days, the school will face another drop in enrollment. I've wondered often recently if an independent "Friends of the University" alumni consortium could get formed to serve as a catalyst for some "third party" fact gathering symposium. Public. Open. Candid. Hard-hitting, yet supportive. Simply put, this university cannot absorb many more drops in enrollment without some serious consequences within another 5 years. Officials should be finding ways to accept and enroll all students. I see little rationale in sticking to phantom (poorly articulated) standards that ignore or turn-away any potential students.

Amen to this. Most frustrating is that this issue has been SO prominent for SO long. It isn’t that they don’t know. It is a complete lack of execution from the top. Like the story you told, I’ve had family members who couldn’t get a response despite emails and phone calls galore - talented students too. I’ve heard so many stories and this is the norm and has been for at least a decade of talking about it. I heard it again from at least a dozen incoming frosh who said MSU is SO SO SO much better at this. Still.

Execution! I’m all for it!

To make matters worse, enrollment will drop, the president will again cave to the Senate and Union and make uniform cuts instead of strategic ones so the good and relevant programs will erode causing enrollment to drop, and around we go again. I call it the “president is a pussy” cycle and it started with Engstrom and continues today.

There is an OPPORTUNITY with decreased enrollment to cut the fat and make a U lean and ready for the changing future that is otherwise so hard with tenure, unions, and Montana not being an “at will” state. Yet, the past two (permanent) Presidents haven’t had the balls to take fudiciary responsibility with tax payer money and make the right decisions. Hell, Stearns did the heavy lifting and had it teed up for Bodner to make strategic cuts, and he peed down his leg. Good thing he can make half court shots and glad hand people, because he doesn’t seem to understand the University environment nor execute a plan.

Sorry for the rant, but this obviously hit a nerve.

I have been in the education field for twenty years now, and if I didn't love teaching and coaching so much I'd be selling lawn furniture at Lowes right now. Everything else in the education system can take a long run off the short pier. That is both at the post-secondary and in the k-12 sector. I don't think many schools, regardless of level, are actually in it for what is actually best for kids.

The higher you go, the more bureaucratic the entity it is. The more beholden to tradition and the more resistant they are to change. The UM is no different. When you are inside it, I think you become numb or unaware of some of the absurdities of the educational system. I think from the outside, every umbrage is noticed. If you think the admittance policies for grad Schools are absurd? Try HR polices in education on for size. I think there are few of us in here, could write novels on it.

My point? They are what they are. No one is going to get fired, and as much as things need to be changed, they likely won't. Business policies won't and don't work in bureaucratic organizations very well. I'll defend the education system, because for what it is and what it is expected to accomplish it does exceedingly well, but at the same point it is increasingly difficult to defend its willingness to spite itself by cutting off its own nose.

What is happening at the UM is a precise example. Bodnar is a reformer, but what he has found out that edicts from Main Hall, even if common sense, are going to be fought tooth and nail. Why? Because it didn't come from someone else. The Faculty Senate as well as rank and file should play as much blame for the mess the UM has. They need to change rapidly, and they are moving at the speed of glaciers.

Just my two cents.

Grizfan-24 said:
I have been in the education field for twenty years now, and if I didn't love teaching and coaching so much I'd be selling lawn furniture at Lowes right now. Everything else in the education system can take a long run off the short pier. That is both at the post-secondary and in the k-12 sector. I don't think many schools, regardless of level, are actually in it for what is actually best for kids.

The higher you go, the more bureaucratic the entity it is. The more beholden to tradition and the more resistant they are to change. The UM is no different. When you are inside it, I think you become numb or unaware of some of the absurdities of the educational system. I think from the outside, every umbrage is noticed. If you think the admittance policies for grad Schools are absurd? Try HR polices in education on for size. I think there are few of us in here, could write novels on it.

My point? They are what they are. No one is going to get fired, and as much as things need to be changed, they likely won't. Business policies won't and don't work in bureaucratic organizations very well. I'll defend the education system, because for what it is and what it is expected to accomplish it does exceedingly well, but at the same point it is increasingly difficult to defend its willingness to spite itself by cutting off its own nose.

What is happening at the UM is a precise example. Bodnar is a reformer, but what he has found out that edicts from Main Hall, even if common sense, are going to be fought tooth and nail. Why? Because it didn't come from someone else. The Faculty Senate as well as rank and file should play as much blame for the mess the UM has. They need to change rapidly, and they are moving at the speed of glaciers.

Just my two cents.
And to add insult to injury it is reported that glaciers are moving more quickly these days -- in the wrong direction... :roll:

Back