• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz add defensive depth

Love these additions! Crazy how quiet this stuff has been with the program and even social media to some extent.

Hauck coached the linebackers older brother at UNLV and the corner played 6 games as a freshman at Hawaii before getting hurt. He was a 3 star at St John Bosco, one of the top high school programs in the nation. Good gets!

Here’s the proper link:

https://gogriz.com/news/2019/7/10/football-griz-add-defensive-depth-with-vaohea-and-tolliver.aspx

There will be some fierce position battles on defense this year, especially at linebacker! Defense could be significantly better this year with more depth.

That Jimmy Morimoto connection has been quite the recruiting boom. I had no idea he’d be able to do this coming in as Director of Football Ops.

dayday said:
That Jimmy Morimoto connection has been quite the recruiting boom. I had no idea he’d be able to do this coming in as Director of Football Ops.

Pretty impressive for DFO for sure. Cue the dumbass Cant’s fan who has a smart ass comment about Frontier Conference size corners. Waiting!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
There will be some fierce position battles on defense this year, especially at linebacker! Defense could be significantly better this year with more depth.

In Hauck's system, there are fierce position battles at nearly every spot, winter, spring, & fall. Linebacker depth is certainly welcome but Lewis is a potential all-conference player and Olson might be the POY on defense in the conference. The new corner is potentially a big pick up & much needed with Egbo going down.

Copper Griz said:
dayday said:

Pretty impressive for DFO for sure. Cue the dumbass Cant’s fan who has a smart ass comment about Frontier Conference size corners. Waiting!

They can’t say any such thing. They have corners who are maybe 5’8 165 lbs. And they’re good!

Terrific additions. I am so relieved we added a CB transfer with a high ceiling. CB depth has really worried me the last few seasons.

HookedonGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
dayday said:

They can’t say any such thing. They have corners who are maybe 5’8 165 lbs. And they’re good!

They may be small but they play tall!!!! You would develop a necessary 60" vertical leap too if forced to jump a shit pond in practice.

horribilisfan8184 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
dayday said:

They may be small but they play tall!!!! You would develop a necessary 60" vertical leap too if forced to jump a shit pond in practice.

Depending on volume, they can often cheat and just walk across like Jesus. Except, you know, on turds.

HookedonGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
dayday said:

The picture GoGriz.com selected for Tolliver isn't the absolute best regarding this issue . . .

HookedonGriz said:
Love these additions! Crazy how quiet this stuff has been with the program and even social media to some extent.

Hauck coached the linebackers older brother at UNLV and the corner played 6 games as a freshman at Hawaii before getting hurt. He was a 3 star at St John Bosco, one of the top high school programs in the nation. Good gets!

Here’s the proper link:

https://gogriz.com/news/2019/7/10/football-griz-add-defensive-depth-with-vaohea-and-tolliver.aspx

It's almost like we have a staff that doesn't think each signing is a reason to go crazy with "look what I did" tweets and catchphrases. Only other Unirversteries do that kind of stuff.

CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
dayday said:

The picture GoGriz.com selected for Tolliver isn't the absolute best regarding this issue . . .

Ha - I thought the same thing! I had to look twice to make sure we hadn't landed the receiver. :lol:

Depth is certainly improving defensively. Still a concern on both lines though. I know the staff is working on it, but sure would like to see at least one more DL and two more OL in camp to start fall drills. I know that is a tough order but it sure would be welcome.

Gaeilge1 said:
Depth is certainly improving defensively. Still a concern on both lines though. I know the staff is working on it, but sure would like to see at least one more DL and two more OL in camp to start fall drills. I know that is a tough order but it sure would be welcome.

I believe the hour is late regarding more players at any position......from a scholarship/money point of view.....also, the first of August is coming upon us....transfers are pretty much at the university they have opted to play for. I bet we dance with the players we have......but there is always hope ....go Griz !

AllWeatherFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:
Copper Griz said:

Ha - I thought the same thing! I had to look twice to make sure we hadn't landed the receiver. :lol:

There are better pics of him all over Google Images. Can't imagine publishing that one.

GoGriz.com in 2000: "Griz BB adds some height by signing Frederic Weis.
116630d1199488293-post-pics-of-people-getting-dunked-on-vince.jpg

Gaeilge1 said:

How many transfers and downs on the 2019 version of the griz, any idea?

poorgriz said:
Gaeilge1 said:

7 official so far (Knight, Pillans, Babros, Vinyard, Roland, Vaohea, and Tolliver). Ryder Rice will make 8 and will be official very soon. Still an outside chance at a big time O Lineman to add too.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Gaeilge1 said:

7 official so far (Knight, Pillans, Babros, Vinyard, Roland, Vaohea, and Tolliver). Ryder Rice will make 8 and will be official very soon. Still an outside chance at a big time O Lineman to add too.

That's not bad, I was thinking there were more. I think MSU has at least that many.

Back