• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hero Sports Griz Preview

I've thought this entire offseason that our season is gonna hang on those 4 games against the big sky playoff teams. We need to win at least 1 of those to give ourselves a shot at the playoffs. The likeliest win of the four I would say is Weber. We need to win at least 1 and not do anything stupid, but if we win at least 2 of those, then we give ourselves a great shot at the playoffs.

Griz til I die said:
I've thought this entire offseason that our season is gonna hang on those 4 games against the big sky playoff teams. We need to win at least 1 of those to give ourselves a shot at the playoffs. The likeliest win of the four I would say is Weber. We need to win at least 1 and not do anything stupid, but if we win at least 2 of those, then we give ourselves a great shot at the playoffs.

I think they win at least 2 of those 4.

Call me crazy, but I think this Griz team is being seriously overlooked. There is a lot of talent across the board and the receiving corp is incredible. It will come down to improved o-line and d-line play, but I think this team goes deep in the playoffs. They have a tough schedule so I'll go with 9 or 10 regular season wins barring no injury to the starting quarterback. The drop off between starter and backup is big for that position. If this team has the chip on their shoulders that I think they do, this could be a special season!

go96griz said:
Call me crazy, but I think this Griz team is being seriously overlooked. There is a lot of talent across the board and the receiving corp is incredible. It will come down to improved o-line and d-line play, but I think this team goes deep in the playoffs. They have a tough schedule so I'll go with 9 or 10 regular season wins barring no injury to the starting quarterback. The drop off between starter and backup is big for that position. If this team has the chip on their shoulders that I think they do, this could be a special season!

This is spot on. I don't think we will be fading in the 4th this year, the players and the coaches have learned their lessons. Specifically, I see the offense staying aggressive no matter how many points we put up.

go96griz said:

I honestly think Montana could be better than advertised too if three factors play out:

1. The offensive line is at least not a glaring liability like it was las season.

2. The young interior defensive linemen — Deming, Alford, Gubner — can give good production, letting Sims play strong end and fortifying the defense...this combined with at least one of the 3 edge rushing transfers panning out could help Montana's unorthodox defense really improve.

3. The team figures out how to finish close games, particularly at home. It's actually unfathomable to think UM lost three straight home games in the fashion they did. Eliminate those meltdowns and the Griz would've been a playoff team last year.

If you have a QB, you have a chance and I think Dalton Sneed is one of the best QBs in the league. Combined that with elite talent at WR, LB, an influx of really impressive young talent at safety and I agree, the Griz are being overlooked. The other key factor is coaching staff stability. Eastern Washington has new OC, DC and ST coordinators. Montana had no overturn in the off-season on its staff. In my 13 years covering the Big Sky, that is unheard of.

All that said, the emergence of UC Davis as a real Big Sky force and the continued elite recruiting and development by Weber State makes the Big Sky really tough. Eastern Washington and Montana State have favorable schedules, as does Portland State (a dark horse in my opinion). I voted the Griz fifth in my preseason media poll (a podcast coming this week) but I think that the order of 2-5 is up in the air depending on head to heads and I think five teams — Davis, Weber, Montana State, Montana, EWU — should contend for playoff spots. If things play out right, I would not be surprised if the Big Sky got a league-record five teams into the 24-team tournament this season.

For what it's worth, when I put pencil to paper, I had the Griz as an eight-win team heading into Cat-Griz, which will certainly get them into the playoffs win or lose. Beat a Montana State team that could be ranked (I have the Cats at 8-3 entering Cat-Griz as well) in Bozeman and the Griz are a nine-win team with a likely first-round bye.

Nice write-up. The talent is there for this team to be special, as long as they stay healthy!! I know that is cliche' and can be said of every team to some degree. But that degree is considerably more pronounced with the Griz simply because they still do not have the depth necessary to withstand certain key injuries. QB has already been mentioned, but both lines are still thin or at the very least untested. We can probably absorb one injury on each line and still be fine. Any more than that however and we could be in serious trouble.

We are loaded at receiver and apparently in the secondary. Linebackers and running backs are right in the middle. But without development of depth at QB and both lines, Special Teams will also be significantly affected.

My present prayers are for an injury free season!!

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
go96griz said:

I honestly think Montana could be better than advertised too if three factors play out:

1. The offensive line is at least not a glaring liability like it was las season.

2. The young interior defensive linemen — Deming, Alford, Gubner — can give good production, letting Sims play strong end and fortifying the defense...this combined with at least one of the 3 edge rushing transfers panning out could help Montana's unorthodox defense really improve.

3. The team figures out how to finish close games, particularly at home. It's actually unfathomable to think UM lost three straight home games in the fashion they did. Eliminate those meltdowns and the Griz would've been a playoff team last year.

If you have a QB, you have a chance and I think Dalton Sneed is one of the best QBs in the league. Combined that with elite talent at WR, LB, an influx of really impressive young talent at safety and I agree, the Griz are being overlooked. The other key factor is coaching staff stability. Eastern Washington has new OC, DC and ST coordinators. Montana had no overturn in the off-season on its staff. In my 13 years covering the Big Sky, that is unheard of.

All that said, the emergence of UC Davis as a real Big Sky force and the continued elite recruiting and development by Weber State makes the Big Sky really tough. Eastern Washington and Montana State have favorable schedules, as does Portland State (a dark horse in my opinion). I voted the Griz fifth in my preseason media poll (a podcast coming this week) but I think that the order of 2-5 is up in the air depending on head to heads and I think five teams — Davis, Weber, Montana State, Montana, EWU — should contend for playoff spots. If things play out right, I would not be surprised if the Big Sky got a league-record five teams into the 24-team tournament this season.

For what it's worth, when I put pencil to paper, I had the Griz as an eight-win team heading into Cat-Griz, which will certainly get them into the playoffs win or lose. Beat a Montana State team that could be ranked (I have the Cats at 8-3 entering Cat-Griz as well) in Bozeman and the Griz are a nine-win team with a likely first-round bye.

So you think they'll only lose two of the games below? I assume you'd be going with UCD and EWU. I suppose that's possible if everything goes their way but I see three losses in these games below, minimum. I do think the griz will be good or perhaps even great, but not enough to overcome that schedule.

South Dakota
North Alabama
Monmouth
UC Davis
Idaho State
Sac State
Eastern
Portland State
Idaho
Weber

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
go96griz said:

Spot on Colts. All three of those things are easy fixes. If anything I’m a little worried about Sneed getting through the year in one piece and the run game materializing.

poorgriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
go96griz said:

So you think they'll only lose two of the games below? I assume you'd be going with UCD and EWU. I suppose that's possible if everything goes their way but I see three losses in these games below, minimum. I do think the griz will be good or perhaps even great, but not enough to overcome that schedule.

South Dakota
North Alabama
Monmouth
UC Davis
Idaho State
Sac State
Eastern
Portland State
Idaho
Weber

It's a 12-game schedule so a pair of 8-win teams entering Cat-Griz would each have 3 losses. I have the Griz at UC Davis and to Eastern Washington, but that's a coin flip game, particularly with Hauck back in the saddle and uncertainty still surrounding EWU's coaching staff. I would say the Griz win one out of three against Davis, EWU and Weber with a loss to Oregon as well.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
poorgriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
go96griz said:

South Dakota
North Alabama
Monmouth
UC Davis
Idaho State
Sac State
Eastern
Portland State
Idaho
Weber

It's a 12-game schedule so a pair of 8-win teams entering Cat-Griz would each have 3 losses. I have the Griz at UC Davis and to Eastern Washington, but that's a coin flip game, particularly with Hauck back in the saddle and uncertainty still surrounding EWU's coaching staff. I would say the Griz win one out of three against Davis, EWU and Weber with a loss to Oregon as well.

I am fine with being somewhat overlooked to start the year but I agree with Colter’s analysis. If things fall right this could be a real good team they just have to prove it. They looked much better in Spring. They just aren’t going to get any love preseason and that’s alright. Win that first week on the road we are in the top 25 and can start garnering attention.

And let’s be real in the Big Sky no one really knows how it’s going to pan out. The Cats could be really good or just average if they don’t have a QB. Injuries happen.. a team like Weber, EWU or UCD could take a step back with the seniors they lost. A team like NAU or Sac St could really surprise. There is just no telling until about 3 or 4 games in what to expect.

go96griz said:

96 I agree with you on many points, I do agree they're being overlooked a bit, but I also understand where they're presumably going to be polled at in the conference because of what other teams accomplished in front of them last year, and that's totally fair.

I think one could take away points like you and the Hero Sports article brought up:

- 12 players on offense with at least 3 starts last year / 9 on defense.

- Dalton Sneed, newcomer of the year, in the discussion to open the conference as pre-season MVP (although I could see him getting snubbed as voters wont select two UM players for offense and defense MVP).

- Dante Olson, presumably the front-runner for preseason defensive MVP.

- The team played so many young players last year and almost all return, I'm a big fan that experience helps build future talent.

- No changeover in coaches, yeah that doesn't necessarily mean it's always a good thing, but these players have had so much staff turnover in the prior years, I like that at least this has stayed steady

There's also the regular variables, sometimes teams that are expected to be tough on the schedule turn out not to be. Not sure if that would happen with our OOC really but there's a good chance that one or more of these tough in-conference games, come time for it, might not be as tough as anticipated. I also realize there could be the inverse of that too. I like that the Griz have Weber, EWU, UI, and ISU at home.

I'm with you, it comes down to the development and improvement on both sides of the trenches, OL/DL. I'd add in corner back play too.

I'm thinking 7 to 8 wins myself, could see 9. Not sure if I can be sold on 10 yet. That would mean 9-2 outside of the Oregon game... man... that seems like a real tall order at this point.

BWahlberg said:
go96griz said:

96 I agree with you on many points, I do agree they're being overlooked a bit, but I also understand where they're presumably going to be polled at in the conference because of what other teams accomplished in front of them last year, and that's totally fair.

I think one could take away points like you and the Hero Sports article brought up:

- Dalton Sneed, newcomer of the year, in the discussion to open the conference as pre-season MVP (although I could see him getting snubbed as voters wont select two UM players for offense and defense MVP).

- The team played so many young players last year and almost all return, I'm a big fan that experience helps build future talent.

- No changeover in coaches, yeah that doesn't necessarily mean it's always a good thing, but these players have had so much staff turnover in the prior years, I like that at least this has stayed steady

There's also the regular variables, sometimes teams that are expected to be tough on the schedule turn out not to be. Not sure if that would happen with our OOC really but there's a good chance that one or more of these tough in-conference games, come time for it, might not be as tough as anticipated. I also realize there could be the inverse of that too. I like that the Griz have Weber, EWU, UI, and ISU at home.

I'm with you, it comes down to the development and improvement on both sides of the trenches, OL/DL. I'd add in corner back play too.

I'm thinking 7 to 8 wins myself, could see 9. Not sure if I can be sold on 10 yet. That would mean 9-2 outside of the Oregon game... man... that seems like a real tall order at this point.
Unless you think we're going to beat Oregon, I'm assuming you meant 10-1? :lol:

uofmman1122 said:
BWahlberg said:
go96griz said:

12 game season this year

HookedonGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
BWahlberg said:
go96griz said:

12 game season this year
Yes, I know.

The only way we could get to 10 wins and be 9-2 outside of Oregon is if we beat Oregon. ;)

uofmman1122 said:
HookedonGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
BWahlberg said:

12 game season this year
Yes, I know.

The only way we could get to 10 wins and be 9-2 outside of Oregon is if we beat Oregon. ;)

Was gonna blame BW for confusing the hell out of me but this is obviously Stitt’s fault!

Unless the offensive line is actually productive, not just better than last season, there aren’t 8 wins on the schedule. Keep Sneed healthy, (he took a terrible pounding last season & it impacted his passing) consistently generate an actual running game, and they’ll more than hold their own offensively. Think about how much better Rosey’s game plans will be if they can get production from the o-line. Colter is right, any productivity on offense in the second half in the losses could have turned it into a playoff season.

The front “3” in this 3/3/5 defense will be just fine. & hopefully more than one of the new pass rushing specialists work out because corner is still an area of concern.

I expect special teams to be the best of the three units in terms of consistency. With the exception of some extra point tries, they were head and shoulders better than the year prior so to be better this season, they need to generate more points & turnovers.

uofmman1122 said:
BWahlberg said:
go96griz said:

We realtors aren't good at math :oops: :oops: :oops:

bgbigdog said:
Unless the offensive line is actually productive, not just better than last season, there aren’t 8 wins on the schedule. Keep Sneed healthy, (he took a terrible pounding last season & it impacted his passing) consistently generate an actual running game, and they’ll more than hold their own offensively. Think about how much better Rosey’s game plans will be if they can get production from the o-line. Colter is right, any productivity on offense in the second half in the losses could have turned it into a playoff season.

Not that I'd expect anything different from the summer tour stuff but the staff is suggesting the 2019 OL will be light years better. Good blend of returning players, young guys that are ready to go, guys that are back and healthy. They have their minds right, their bodies/strength right, and have been putting in extra time to be ready. We'll see, I have my reservations... and maybe it's just the staff using the power of positive thinking here, but I have a feeling these guys will be better... but not great (yet).

D line... no clue.

Back