• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2020 Football Recruiting: 15 Verbals & 20 Offers

dayday said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Talking to some coaches, there is a movement to ask kids not to report offers. I know it seems silly in this day and age, but there is some sound strategy in having players keep off of social media. First it is a recruiting violation nightmare for schools and coaches. Second, it leads players to use social media as a leverage and makes recruiting harder. Third, it allows other college coaches to know your business. This is just stuff I have heard from coaches.

Is that the correct mindset? I don't know, but there are more and more college coaches who aren't enamored with players posting this stuff all over social media. I know in a couple cases over the past few years it has led to problems with recruits knowing what other recruits were offered.

As for the UM currently, I think there are offers out there but knowing the scholly situation a bit I think this year is going to have a bit more of a tactical feel to offers. Less carpet bombing and more surgical.

That makes a ton sense for the coaches but for the kids it makes zero sense. You need the recruiting buzz because it forces more and bigger schools to the offer table sooner. For example, if Idaho offers a kid that MSU is interested in then they are likely going to follow suit with an offer soon after then if you have enough of those it catches MW or PAC-12 coaches’ eye to think about watching the film and offering.

So point being if the coaches are saying here is a scholarship offer but don’t tell anyone; I would question the motives of that school looking out for what is best for the kid. I think the school that fully embraces social media with recruiting and that competition are typically the successful programs in the FBS and even FCS (see James Madison or NDSU). Just my two cents from the peanut gallery, lol.

Does Idaho still have a degree granting University? Isn't Riverside Tech who play on the blue field the highest level that Idaho kids can aspire to? I know there is still a dome in Pocatello but I don't think they do much besides dry land ranching and stunted hemp production. MSU would look like a real university in comparison and that's the only way it ever would.

SaskGriz said:
dayday said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Talking to some coaches, there is a movement to ask kids not to report offers. I know it seems silly in this day and age, but there is some sound strategy in having players keep off of social media. First it is a recruiting violation nightmare for schools and coaches. Second, it leads players to use social media as a leverage and makes recruiting harder. Third, it allows other college coaches to know your business. This is just stuff I have heard from coaches.

Is that the correct mindset? I don't know, but there are more and more college coaches who aren't enamored with players posting this stuff all over social media. I know in a couple cases over the past few years it has led to problems with recruits knowing what other recruits were offered.

As for the UM currently, I think there are offers out there but knowing the scholly situation a bit I think this year is going to have a bit more of a tactical feel to offers. Less carpet bombing and more surgical.

That makes a ton sense for the coaches but for the kids it makes zero sense. You need the recruiting buzz because it forces more and bigger schools to the offer table sooner. For example, if Idaho offers a kid that MSU is interested in then they are likely going to follow suit with an offer soon after then if you have enough of those it catches MW or PAC-12 coaches’ eye to think about watching the film and offering.

So point being if the coaches are saying here is a scholarship offer but don’t tell anyone; I would question the motives of that school looking out for what is best for the kid. I think the school that fully embraces social media with recruiting and that competition are typically the successful programs in the FBS and even FCS (see James Madison or NDSU). Just my two cents from the peanut gallery, lol.

Does Idaho still have a degree granting University? Isn't Riverside Tech who play on the blue field the highest level that Idaho kids can aspire to? I know there is still a dome in Pocatello but I don't think they do much besides dry land ranching and stunted hemp production. MSU would look like a real university in comparison and that's the only way it ever would.

I have no idea what you are talking about. It was just an illustrative example and you took it into left field.

dayday said:
SaskGriz said:
dayday said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. It was just an illustrative example and you took it into left field.

I wasn't responding to your post in any way. I was just highlighting that line as a chance to make mean spirited jabs at Idaho both as a state and their education system. The unnecessary belittling of rival schools is one of the ways I am able to feel better about myself. It's sad but it's either this or I'm mean to pets and children.

SaskGriz said:
dayday said:
SaskGriz said:
dayday said:

I wasn't responding to your post in any way. I was just highlighting that line as a chance to make mean spirited jabs at Idaho both as a state and their education system. The unnecessary belittling of rival schools is one of the ways I am able to feel better about myself. It's sad but it's either this or I'm mean to pets and children.

Sask LIVES in left field! :lol: :lol:

SaskGriz said:
dayday said:
SaskGriz said:
dayday said:

Aww then lol well carry on.

Note: As one player posted this was a "Prospects Camp". IE Invited. Huack and Company do things different. While some teams throw offers all over the place, The Griz are a lot more pin pointed. I get it but would love to see them throw some deep bombs and offer some players that are long shots... sometimes those pay off.

Paytonlives said:
Note: As one player posted this was a "Prospects Camp". IE Invited. Huack and Company do things different. While some teams throw offers all over the place, The Griz are a lot more pin pointed. I get it but would love to see them throw some deep bombs and offer some players that are long shots... sometimes those pay off.

I don’t think it was by invitation only. Any high schooler could pay the registration fee and compete. I think some of the targets though get the fee waived with an invite like most programs do when they really want to entice someone to come to their camp.

Also I agree somewhat on wider net. I do think they offer kids they have little shot at but they often do it very late. My biggest issue is our timing in doing the official offers.

Back