• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Roll Call - Oregon

kemajic said:
Reading the other threads, maybe we should avoid watching this game because some say the carnage will be unbearable.

I'm embarrassed to say I'll be there. :oops: :oops:

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Reading the other threads, maybe we should avoid watching this game because some say the carnage will be unbearable.

I'm embarrassed to say I'll be there. :oops: :oops:
Not for the timid or weak of heart. We are Montana! And we will be there.

grizband said:
Confirmed yesterday, our group of seven is meeting in Eugene for the game!

We are flying into SeaTac Thursday night and driving down Friday with my brother and is wife. Looking forward to it.

Hope we don’t lose the entire team to injury. That would be a bummer.

AZGrizFan said:
grizband said:

We are flying into SeaTac Thursday night and driving down Friday with my brother and is wife. Looking forward to it.

Hoping for no anecdotes...

AZGrizFan said:
grizband said:

We'll drive over either Thursday evening, or Friday afternoon; definitely looking forward to the trip!

Agreed that losing the entire team would be a bummer. Would really put a damper on the entire season!

Is anyone planning on getting a tailgate spot? We're looking at getting one hopefully next to the Griz tailgates. Any suggestions?

The best place to tailgate is in the Mo Center adjacent to the stadium. That is the Ducks indoor practice facility. They open it up for tailgating on game day. There were many Griz fans there in '05. The best way to get to the stadium is to park at Valley River Center and take the bus.

Be sure to stroll around campus while you are in Eugene. There is a lot of new construction going on, including Hayward Field, which is the site of the 2020 Olympic Trials.

If you enjoy craft beer, I would recommend SunRiver Brewing in the Oakway Mall and/or Hope Valley Brewing on West 1st ave. in the Whittaker neighborhood.

Did it occur to any on the board that the Griz can beat Oregon? Of course, it’s a long shot, but possible in athletic competition for the underdog to walk away with the win.
I’m not accustomed to planning to lose before the event begins as the game must be played before the final score is determined.
Montana is a Division 1 program, Oregon is a Division 1 program. Let’s go to Oregon and get the win!

Spanky2 said:
Did it occur to any on the board that the Griz can beat Oregon? Of course, it’s a long shot, but possible in athletic competition for the underdog to walk away with the win.
I’m not accustomed to planning to lose before the event begins as the game must be played before the final score is determined.
Montana is a Division 1 program, Oregon is a Division 1 program. Let’s go to Oregon and get the win!

Love your optimism, but this particular matchup is bad for Montana. As both a lifelong Griz and Ducks fan I can pretty much assure you this one won't go too well for UM, unfortunately. Obviously, with Oregon being a Pac-12 program they already have superior overall talent, but they have a few specific areas that are elite nationwide. They have a veteran O-line, anchored by sophomore LT Penei Sewell (6'6 340), which is among the best in the FBS with over 150 combined starts. They also have two pass-rushing D-ends, Kayvon Thibodeaux (class of 2019 #1 overall recruit) and DJ Johnson (class of 2017 #74 overall recruit) who are going to a big mismatch for a Griz O-line that is not used to blocking that caliber of athlete. And then there is Justin Herbert, who may be the first QB taken next April.

The real part of this that I don't like for Montana is the fact that some are predicting Oregon to go to the CFB Playoff, meaning they are going to make sure the margin of victory is as large as possible knowing their schedule is going to be scrutinized for playing an FCS opponent in the event they are in the playoff picture come November.

The Griz need to get out of this game injury-free, specifically at QB, because snead is likely going to take some hits.

Again, I wish the outlook was better because I would love to see a good game being a fan of both sides, but this likely won't be a fun watch for Griz fans.

ari gold said:
Spanky2 said:

Love your optimism, but this particular matchup is bad for Montana. As both a lifelong Griz and Ducks fan I can pretty much assure you this one won't go too well for UM, unfortunately. Obviously, with Oregon being a Pac-12 program they already have superior overall talent, but they have a few specific areas that are elite nationwide. They have a veteran O-line, anchored by sophomore LT Penei Sewell (6'6 340), which is among the best in the FBS with over 150 combined starts. They also have two pass-rushing D-ends, Kayvon Thibodeaux (class of 2019 #1 overall recruit) and DJ Johnson (class of 2017 #74 overall recruit) who are going to a big mismatch for a Griz O-line that is not used to blocking that caliber of athlete. And then there is Justin Herbert, who may be the first QB taken next April.

The real part of this that I don't like for Montana is the fact that some are predicting Oregon to go to the CFB Playoff, meaning they are going to make sure the margin of victory is as large as possible knowing their schedule is going to be scrutinized for playing an FCS opponent in the event they are in the playoff picture come November.

The Griz need to get out of this game injury-free, specifically at QB, because snead is likely going to take some hits.

Again, I wish the outlook was better because I would love to see a good game being a fan of both sides, but this likely won't be a fun watch for Griz fans.

Thanks. I just canceled my plane ticket and my VRBO and sold my game tix on stubhub. I mean, why waste my time/money, right? :| :|

AZGrizFan said:
ari gold said:
Spanky2 said:

Thanks. I just canceled my plane ticket and my VRBO and sold my game tix on stubhub. I mean, why waste my time/money, right? :| :|

Like I said. Really, really wish the outlook was better. That being said, the experience will be top-notch for Griz fans. I agree with the above poster who suggested going to the Mo Center, but I would also strongly suggest walking through the tailgates in the Autzen and Masonic parking lots. You should have no problem eating/drinking for free. If you do somehow acquire a parking pass, I would plan on sticking around for a while after the game as traffic gets pretty gridlocked around the stadium. "The Cooler" is a short walk from the stadium and is a great place to go after a game, especially in September when the weather is nice and they have their patio open. You'll likely drink for free there too. If you are in Eugene a few days before or after definitely check out the brewery scene, but I'd highly recommend checking out the wineries surrounding Eugene, specifically Sweet Cheeks, such an awesome, picturesque place. Another cool thing to check out for the football fan would be the Mariota performance center, which has Marcus Mariota's Heisman display. This is not open on gameday so I would do it Thursday, Friday or Monday if you get the chance. Its going to be a great experience for Griz fans regardless of the inevitable outcome. September in Eugene is great. If you are going, it will be a hell of a trip.

Also, if you are a golfer, you might try an squeeze in a round at Bandon Dunes if you have the time.

Of course there is a gap in talent and depth, but it’s not as wide as everyone assumes. EWU, for example, has a history of making these Pac12 games competitive, even sneaking in a win or two. Part of it’s a mindset heading into these play up games, and unfortunately it’s not our MO historically. Play not to get anyone injured, take our ass pounding/payday, and limp home. This game is 45 days away, and Oregon is already up 21-0.

Raider said:
Of course, there is a gap in talent and depth, but it’s not as wide as everyone assumes. EWU, for example, has a history of making these Pac12 games competitive, even sneaking in a win or two. Part of it’s a mindset heading into these play up games, and unfortunately, it’s not our MO historically. Play not to get anyone injured, take our ass pounding/payday, and limp home. This game is 45 days away, and Oregon is already up 21-0.

It's not so much just the gap in talent, but where the gap exists, and that is in the trenches. Pretty hard to be competitive if you can't stop the other team from moving the ball and even harder if you cannot move it yourself. I would say the gap in talent between Oregon and Montana offensive and defensive lines is bigger than the average FBS/FCS matchup. Cristobal has a strong power run mentality, and if he has success with it he'll do it the whole game, and burn tons of clock. Again, I'm not trying to spread pessimism, I'm just a very close follower of ducks football and can foresee how this is going to play out.

Raider said:
Of course there is a gap in talent and depth, but it’s not as wide as everyone assumes. EWU, for example, has a history of making these Pac12 games competitive, even sneaking in a win or two. Part of it’s a mindset heading into these play up games, and unfortunately it’s not our MO historically. Play not to get anyone injured, take our ass pounding/payday, and limp home. This game is 45 days away, and Oregon is already up 21-0.
No doubt. I don’t know what our players think about the Oregon game, but I would bet they believe they have a chance to win. The prevailing opinion of most of the so called fans is pathetic regarding the game.
If we don’t get on the plane to Oregon with a plan to win the game, we should stay home. If we allow our athletes to be used as Cannon Fodder to pick up a big check, shame on the UM administration.

ari gold said:
Raider said:
Of course, there is a gap in talent and depth, but it’s not as wide as everyone assumes. EWU, for example, has a history of making these Pac12 games competitive, even sneaking in a win or two. Part of it’s a mindset heading into these play up games, and unfortunately, it’s not our MO historically. Play not to get anyone injured, take our ass pounding/payday, and limp home. This game is 45 days away, and Oregon is already up 21-0.

It's not so much just the gap in talent, but where the gap exists, and that is in the trenches. Pretty hard to be competitive if you can't stop the other team from moving the ball and even harder if you cannot move it yourself. I would say the gap in talent between Oregon and Montana offensive and defensive lines is bigger than the average FBS/FCS matchup. Cristobal has a strong power run mentality, and if he has success with it he'll do it the whole game, and burn tons of clock. Again, I'm not trying to spread pessimism, I'm just a very close follower of ducks football and can foresee how this is going to play out.

Oh, I completely agree with you. This is a really bad match up for us. Timing is part of the challenge with these “play up” games. We’ve had some tough luck with that.

I was more speaking to our historical performance (or lack thereof) in these games, compared to other programs like EWU.

Raider said:
ari gold said:
Raider said:

Oh, I completely agree with you. This is a really bad match up for us. Timing is part of the challenge with these “play up” games. We’ve had some tough luck with that.

I was more speaking to our historical performance (or lack thereof) in these games, compared to other programs like EWU.

Having the likes of Vernon Adams and Cooper Kupp in some of those games might have helped EWU too.

Raider said:
ari gold said:
Raider said:

We have not had an experienced QB in these games. This year we do. The game may get out of hand, but not so early.

Back