• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shocker

AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:
I like good news like this. Made my day. :thumb:
Kinesiology Major, $10 word for P.E. Major. Any of us who went to college know the first two years classes aren't terribly tough, yet he dug himself a hole so deep that he couldn't get out. Drops out a year ago to concentrate on grades, yet...
As I recall last years posts on Murray, there weren't too many posters who thought he would ever wear a Bobscat uniform again. I was surprised to see him on the field this spring. Close, but no cigar.
So......gotta disagree here. My daughter just graduated from Texas Tech with a degree in Kinesiology. It’s MUCH more than a glorified “PE degree”. You sell a lot of people short who’ve successfully completed that degree.
Totally agree ... by and large. Yes, there are some (far too many, actually) schools that simply "rebranded" a basic subset of PE coursework and left it at that.

But a true, rigorous kinesiology curriculum is a killer program. Start with a deep knowledge of physiology (static and dynamic), add in physics and material science (muscles, tendons, etc are materials with specific properties in tension and compression), and finish off with the mental game. (And there's probably more I have not mentioned.)

AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:
Kinesiology Major, $10 word for P.E. Major. Any of us who went to college know the first two years classes aren't terribly tough, yet he dug himself a hole so deep that he couldn't get out. Drops out a year ago to concentrate on grades, yet...
As I recall last years posts on Murray, there weren't too many posters who thought he would ever wear a Bobscat uniform again. I was surprised to see him on the field this spring. Close, but no cigar.

So......gotta disagree here. My daughter just graduated from Texas Tech with a degree in Kinesiology. It’s MUCH more than a glorified “PE degree”. You sell a lot of people short who’ve successfully completed that degree.

I highly suspect, but do not know, that your girl’s program at TTU was at least slightly more rigorous than the coursework a certain QB was unsuccessfully “pursuing” at Bozeman State.

Congrats to the grad, BTW. :thumb:

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:

I highly suspect, but do not know, that your girl’s program at TTU was at least slightly more rigorous than the coursework a certain QB was unsuccessfully “pursuing” at Bozeman State.

Yah Think?! :)

And I'll add my congrats to the grad also.

Murray will be known as a failed P.E. Major. He'll never graduate in ANY major. Takes a bit of effort.

http://catalog.montana.edu/undergraduate/education-health-human-development/health-human-development/health-human-performance-major/

KoolMoeDee said:
http://catalog.montana.edu/undergraduate/education-health-human-development/health-human-development/health-human-performance-major/
Hmmm ... Proof-reading is not in their skill set, apparently
Freshman Year classes
Choose one of the following
KIN 105 - Foundations of Excerise Science
Other than that, it looks like a pretty solid program.

KoolMoeDee said:

I wonder which Physics and Chem classes they put him in to regain eligibility after he flunked the first time.

As a current MSU post-bacc in Plant Sciences, CHEM 141 (you can use a note card for the exams), CHEM 143 is basically doing nothing but algebra. PHSX 205 and 207 were very easy, the prof gives out practice exams which are very similar to the real exam.

Considering the crappy facilities for Kittens athletics, I would have left too.

evan06 said:
As a current MSU post-bacc in Plant Sciences, CHEM 141 (you can use a note card for the exams), CHEM 143 is basically doing nothing but algebra. PHSX 205 and 207 were very easy, the prof gives out practice exams which are very similar to the real exam.

Considering the crappy facilities for Kittens athletics, I would have left too.

Im guessing that you and Chris Murray have very different upbringings.

Does MSU have anyone tracking the academic progress of athletes? If so, how did CM fall through the cracks? He could have changed majors to something less academically challenging. It was CM who chose his own major, I assume. CM graduated from high school early, right? So, unless he just got shoved along and out the door, intelligence is not the problem. He had three semesters to figure it out before getting suspended, then a year and a half to correct his problem and become reinstated. How does he get to practice with the team while still suspended? If this had happended in Missoula, Gwen and crew would have it on the front page every day.

tourist said:
Does MSU have anyone tracking the academic progress of athletes? If so, how did CM fall through the cracks? He could have changed majors to something less academically challenging. It was CM who chose his own major, I assume. CM graduated from high school early, right? So, unless he just got shoved along and out the door, intelligence is not the problem. He had three semesters to figure it out before getting suspended, then a year and a half to correct his problem and become reinstated. How does he get to practice with the team while still suspended? If this had happended in Missoula, Gwen and crew would have it on the front page every day.

He didn’t graduate from hs early.

MSU was well aware of his academic issues and well aware that he was the starting qb of the football team. I can assure you they did everything of pulling a North Carolina and having someone else take the tests for him.

He wasn’t suspended, he was academically ineligible. Two totally different things.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:

Bet he couldn't even spell it and kudos to your daughter.

wbtfg said:
tourist said:

MSU was well aware of his academic issues and well aware that he was the starting qb of the football team. I can assure you they did everything of pulling a North Carolina and having someone else take the tests for him.

He wasn’t suspended, he was academically ineligible. Two totally different things.

Thanks, wbtfg. There is something wrong with the recruiting for MSU football, and possibly the whole Athletic Department, when this kind of crap goes on. How the hell could he have chosen Kinesiology, requiring Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry, when he could have been counseled to choose Education(for example) and not been exposed to such academic rigors, and actually come out with a teaching certificate and a job, somewhere. Where was the counseling, the monitoring? CM seems to be as much as a victim of MSUs recruiting and administration, as a participant. He was set up to fail. No, this is not an anti-cat rant. I'd be just as ashamed of UM had it happened there.

tourist said:
wbtfg said:
tourist said:

Thanks, wbtfg. There is something wrong with the recruiting for MSU football, and possibly the whole Athletic Department, when this kind of crap goes on. How the hell could he have chosen Kinesiology, requiring Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry, when he could have been counseled to choose Education(for example) and not been exposed to such academic rigors, and actually come out with a teaching certificate and a job, somewhere. Where was the counseling, the monitoring? CM seems to be as much as a victim of MSUs recruiting and administration, as a participant. He was set up to fail. No, this is not an anti-cat rant. I'd be just as ashamed of UM had it happened there.
It's pretty difficult visualize CM as the victim here.

tourist said:
wbtfg said:
tourist said:

Dont assume that the online roster is correct or up to date. I think Chris changes his major early on, but it wasn’t reflected on the roster. Like I said, MSU was well aware of the situation early on and wasn’t derelict in their duties, other than updating the online roster.

wbtfg said:
tourist said:
wbtfg said:
tourist said:

Dont assume that the online roster is correct or up to date. I think Chris changes his major early on, but it wasn’t reflected on the roster. Like I said, MSU was well aware of the situation early on and wasn’t derelict in their duties, other than updating the online roster.

That is just wild! Have no reason to doubt your info at all, but it’s amazing that he couldn’t make it happen with the major change and with all the hand holding permitted under the rules. It’s like, “Here are the easiest credits you can take to get eligible, here’s our standard support, here’s an additional tutor, here are all of the steps you have to take.” Ugh.

CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:
tourist said:
wbtfg said:

That is just wild! Have no reason to doubt your info at all, but it’s amazing that he couldn’t make it happen with the major change and with all the hand holding permitted under the rules. It’s like, “Here are the easiest credits you can take to get eligible, here’s our standard support, here’s an additional tutor, here are all of the steps you have to take.” Ugh.

Yep....pretty much. What’s the saying about horse and water?

wbtfg said:
CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:
tourist said:

Yep....pretty much. What’s the saying about horse and water?

Can’t teach him how to pass.

If CM changed majors right after the first failed semester, it still doesn't explain WHY he couldn't bring his GPA back up, and WHY his monitors failed to see he was failing. Christ, after his suspension or ineligibility, he had a full year plus summer school to un-f*ck himself. Yet, he couldn't, or wouldn't, do it. We've seen Idaho brag about getting their overall football GPA all the way UP to 2.69 Maybe MSU is relieved that he is finally gone. Team GPA rises after he leaves. Only have to find a competent passing QB.

tourist said:
If CM changed majors right after the first failed semester, it still doesn't explain WHY he couldn't bring his GPA back up, and WHY his monitors failed to see he was failing. Christ, after his suspension or ineligibility, he had a full year plus summer school to un-f*ck himself. Yet, he couldn't, or wouldn't, do it. We've seen Idaho brag about getting their overall football GPA all the way UP to 2.69 Maybe MSU is relieved that he is finally gone. Team GPA rises after he leaves. Only have to find a competent passing QB.

He''s a good kid, just couldn't get motivated for school. He'll probably look back and have regrets about it. He was given every opportunity, by his own admission.

Back